0 comments

Romance Christmas Teens & Young Adult

I’m sitting curled up in my bed, looking up from my book for a brief moment to take in the view that is outside. It’s the perfect day to read; everything is being covered in snow, a cup of warm hot chocolate by my side and ready to drink. The first snow of the season is not a big surprise, living in Boston. I forced myself up out of my unmade and messy bed for the first time today, realizing that it has just turned noon, and walked to the dull stone fireplace in my living room. I live in a small cottage in Massachusetts. It’s nothing big, but it works. I make a trip outside in the frigid snow to get firewood, stopping to admire all the beautiful trees covered in snow. I walk back  through the falling snow and into the house, breathing a sigh of relief and warmth. I throw the wood in the fireplace and light it with a match.

Growing up in a small, rural town in aaaaTexas, we never had snow. It was hot and arid. Even when my hair was short back then, it was still hot like a desert. Not to mention the fact that there were very few kids in the neighborhood. Everyone knew everyone. There were few girls in the neighborhood, too. There was me, and another girl who became my best friend. Her name is Liana. She’s a short girl with rosy skin and doe eyes the color of emeralds. She had thick, chocolate brown hair. I was friends with her brother, too. He has smooth, pale skin and hazel eyes. His hair is almost the same as hers, but shorter and curled.

I knew Luke, Liana’s brother, was in boston. I actually think he’s near me. I just have had no way to contact him. I’ve tried socials, but nothing is on there, except that his location is somewhere in Boston. His messages were turned off, as always. He never liked to have them on, even as kids.

I shake my head out of my thoughts, and turn my attention back to chores. I live alone, so there's always something to do. The ground is covered in snow now. When we get snow, we always get a lot. The sun is still up in the sky, so I decide it's the perfect time for a walk. I put on my plaid blue scarf, my crochet hat, my green jacket with white lining, and a pair of big fluffy pants. I grab my phone and my house key, make sure the fire is completely out, and head out of the door, locking it behind me.

I start down the road, noticing how lovely the first snow always is. Walking, I notice the trees waving in the slight wind that is making the remains of the snow on the trees fall. There's a small Gazebo a little walk away from my house. It’s made out of pure wood, with a beautiful shade of almond paint over it. The roof was gray with lining. Sitting in the middle of the gazebo was a bench. It’s a peaceful place to sit and observe. My favorite part about snow is when you get a lot and it stops snowing, absolute silence.

After walking for what seems like the most peaceful ten minutes of my life, I arrive at the gazebo to sit at the bench. When I get there, I walk directly toward the bench to sit. The bench is warm and inviting. It has been covered by the roof of the gazebo, so it has no snow on it.  

I tuck my phone back into my pocket to admire everything. I can hear the birds chirping back and forth, bickering like an old married couple. The sound of the trees rustling against the wind. Then something catches my eye. A brunette boy with curly hair. I approached him to see if it was my old friend. Had He been closer than I thought?

“Luke?” I call for the awfully tall man.

“Yes?” he turns to me, and his jaw drops in shock. The next thing I know, I’.m getting tackled in a hug to the ground. I can’t help but laugh, is this real? How is this possible? The hug was the best thing I've felt in weeks. It’s a bear hug, warm and welcoming. I haven’t seen my friends in years.. Resting in the snow, we both burst out in laughter. 

“Edith, I thought I would never see you again!” he exclaims.

“I didn’t think I’d see you! Where’s your sister?” I asked Luke, slightly worried. He takes a sigh then turns in the snow to look up at the non existent sun. 

“Back in texas with her trashy boyfriend.” he says, disappointed. “Sure is a lot colder here than in Texas.”

“Guess so.” I bring my knees up, and lift up and off of the ground. “How does a nice cup of hot chocolate sound?” I ask him as I watch him get up and dust the snow off of his knees. 

“That would be great, thanks. I’m assuming that you’re used to all this snow?” He asks. 

“Yeah, but it is the first snow of the season. Crazy, isn’t it?” 

“It really is. Amazing how you go from hot and desert Texas to cold and snowy Massachusetts.” it really was. When I first arrived, I was incredibly shocked about how cold it was. Eventually, I got used to it. The snow is quite therapeutic after a while. 

We get up and start walking toward my house. Both of us discovered that lying in the snow for even just a few minutes was a mistake. Both of us have been shaking and shivering. I repeatedly blow into my hands hoping to keep them warm in the freezing cold. I wish I could say I underdressed, but it wasn’t my first plan to be tackled into snow like a football player. 

By the time we get back to the house, the sun is setting and the snow has continued to fall. I quickly unlock the door, desperately trying to get inside and away from this cold. I shove through the door, making sure it doesn’t close too fast on Luke. I take in the warm air, grasping onto the feeling of warmth for as long as possible.

“Should I lock the door?” he asked. 

“Uh, yes please.” I reply with a smile. 

I take the few pieces of firewood I gathered from earlier this morning, and throw it into the fireplace. I turn toward the window where I can easily see my deck  on which I keep the firewood, determining if I should go back out to get some more,  him to do it. The tarp is still covered in snow, so it might be a little more difficult for him to see.

“Hey, do you need help with anything? I’m here for a reason.” he interrupted my thoughts with a chuckle.

“Yes, actually- would you mind getting the firewood? It's right there on the deck.” I reply, pointing at the snow-covered tarp. 

“Yes, sergeant.” he replies, saluting sarcastically.

While he goes to get firewood, I turn on the gas powered stove and place a pot with two cups of milk in it, then set the pot on the stove. I let that sit on a low temperature for a couple minutes, then stir it. 

“That took too long.” I hear him sigh and set the wood down near the fireplace. He places three pieces of wood in the fire, then takes a match in hopes of lighting it. 

“Where were you?” I ask, shocked it took that long.

“Uhm, I fell on your deck.” he mumbled.

“You what?”

“It’s not my fault your deck is covered in ice!”

“It’s not my fault you don't know how to walk. You never did.” I’m almost wheezing now. I’ve always been there watching him stumble across the floors. 

The hot chocolate is done, and I gently place and divy up the milk between the two of us, carefully pouring it. I level my head to make sure it’s even, and once I’m sure, I take out the large Swiss Mix I store in my cupboard. I put two tablespoons in mine, with a few marshmallows. 

“I have two microwave dinners we can eat. Want those?” I turn to ask Luke, who is concentrating on putting just the right amount of marshmallows in his drink. 

“Yeah, I’m cool with that.” I put the dinners in the microwave, and set the timer. I go to set up the living room trays, and eat in front of the elevated TV, just like kids. I open the curtains, so we can see all the snow. There is at least nine inches of snow outside, and it’s the perfect day to watch Christmas movies and eat microwaved chicken nuggets.  

I carefully place the small fold out dinner trays out one by one, then go to retrieve the actual dinners from the microwave. I place them down, then take both mine and his hot chocolate to place on the tray.

“We’re settled now! What would you like to watch? Home alone is a classic.”

“Yes. Always and forever Home Alone. I love that movie.” He agrees. I take the remote, and flip to Netflix to put it on. We sat and enjoyed the long, delightful movie. One cup of hot chocolate, one dinner tray, and an old friend.

December 09, 2023 01:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.