0 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult

I grabbed Sadie’s leash out of my closet and tossed it on my bed. I put my lion fish necklace my best friend gave me two years ago around my neck. Rummaging through the little clothes I had left, and tossing them into my teal blue gym bag and grabbed the shoebox from inside a dresser drawer. 

Inside, I grabbed my TX-22 and loaded it. I placed the gun in the inner pocket of my worm out jean jacket. I looked out the window to see once my favorite things, now a pile of ash. 

Hank, my stepdad, came into the picture when I was eight years old and in a hot minute my whole world got turned upside down.

Fights, threats, and hateful words got spread in my household like wildfire, on a daily basis. I never got to see my uncle who practically raised me, my family or friends after she got married. My two older brothers went off to have better lives for themselves. The two of them left when they turned eighteen. I haven’t heard from either of them since. And that was five years ago.

My uncle was going to take me to his house but my stepdad and him got into an argument and I never saw my uncle again. First birthday cards and the occasional phone call. And then radio silence.

Surviving on my own got easier and easier when I had to do everything for myself. Mama cried every night over this. She became unhealthy, tired, an alcoholic, and she never looked or acted like my mama ever again. Hank broke her and I’m never gonna stop hating him for it. 

The things he did should’ve put him in jail for a long time but no one had the guts to tell the police or even report him. 

Last night Hank came stumbling home drunk from Nashville, about two and half hours away. My mama was passed out on the couch and I was writing in my room. It had been quiet all day and then when he came home, he had brought the devil back with him. 

“Did you do what I asked, Evangeline?” He had asked.

“Yes sir.” I said to him, not making eye contact. I didn’t want to look in the eyes of the man who wrecked my life.

“Look at me when you speak.” He growled at me, and that’s when I knew I was in trouble. 

I looked at him right in his ugly face and replied angrily, ”Yes sir.”

“Don’t use that tone of voice with me missy.” His words were slurred and his voice was dark. 

The last time Hank was like this he beat me, and when my mom tried prying him off me he struck her. Her frail body stumbled backwards smashing into the wall. She was unconscious for two days.

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled.

“Whatever brat. Can’t wait till you leave this place. You and that bloody dog.” Then he kicked Sadie in the side and turned to leave.

Right then I felt my anger that’s been buried for a little over twelve years spike and finally boil over. He knew to not touch her. I knocked the chair over and yelled, “Don’t you touch her you sick bastard!” 

His face was all twisted and he snapped his head in my direction.

“What did you say to me!” He barked, charging at me. Within two large strides he was right up next to me. His brown hair was all messy and his hazel eyes were wild and cloudy, while his breath smelled of beer and cigarettes.

Hank had slapped me and knocked me to the ground. “I do all these things for you and that’s how you repay me? You’re an entitled, spoiled little bit-,”

“You’ve done nothing for me.” I muttered under my breath. 

If he got any more pissed off he’d probably kill me. He’s threatened it before and I wouldn’t be surprised if he tried.

“Excuse me! Whats wrong? Please share to the class, Evangeline.” He yelled in my face. When I didn’t answer he leaned in closer.

“SAY IT!” He shouted at me. His foot was pressed heavily on my shoulder blades and was practically standing on me.

“You’ve done absolutely nothing for me!” I screamed at him. 

He growled like an animal, yanking me up by my arm. Hank slapped my face and shook me like a rag doll, tossing me to the floor again. 

He grabbed as much of my things as he could carry, slammed my door shut and walked outside. I watched him come in and out three more times, making a pile of my stuff in the middle of the backyard.

I watched him from my bedroom window and he knew I was there. He lit all my things in a big fire and let it burn until almost all of it was ash. He flicked the middle finger at me and I watched the fire dance across my things. The pain hurt. Not just from the beating but emotionally. How much more of this could I take before I turned like my ma? Finally, he took the hose and put out the fire. 

I heard Hank come crashing back inside through the back door and slamming his bedroom door shut. I went to bed snuggled up to Sadie crying. I knew we had to leave now. I couldn’t handle anymore of this.

I finished packing and lead Sadie into the truck, tossing my things behind her and I hoped in the drivers seat. I put that thing in gear and sped out of there as fast as I could.

I turned the radio on, cranking up My Church by Maren Morris. Sadie was asleep in the seat next to me. 

I pulled off an exit and drove into somewhere in South Carolina. 

I pulled into a motel parking lot and put my truck in park. I dozed off immediately. I drove for nearly six and a half hours and still had to get to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My best friend Adelia said that if me and Sadie ever need somewhere to stay, we could always stay with her. She also said that two years ago before she left Knoxville. 

Let’s hope that offer is still open…

Three Weeks Later…

Adelia was so ecstatic to see me. She’s letting me stay as long as I need. She has a two bedroom, two bathroom beach house and its not that far away from the city. Sadie and I go for walks along the shoreline every morning. Adelia and I go hang out with our friends every now and then.

Yesterday Adelia and I made a few calls and I have a job interview as an editor in one of the big city buildings. 

Once I save up enough money I’ll start looking for apartments or something so I’m not running my best friend out of house and home. 

I mean, a month ago I was getting beat to a pulp by my stepfather and now I have a job interview at one of the big corporations as an editor. 

Things are really looking up right now. 

Fourteen Weeks Later…

I got the job! I started saving up and had enough to take out a student loan so I could study at the New York University. Two weeks ago Sadie and I drove to New York and now I am working on my undergraduate bachelors degree in journalism at the New York University. I moved out of Adelia’s beach house and into a tiny home a half hour away from the university. 

I got a job for New York Times and other newspaper and magazine covers. My boss  told me to keep up the good work and one day I could become the youngest employee to be Head Editor of New York Times. He said I have so much potential and I got a thirty dollar raise. I also work two different waitressing jobs at local restaurants, to try and pay off the student loans. Life honestly can’t get any better.

Ten Weeks Later…

This morning I turn my phone on and on the screen says, “Abusive Man Caught in the Act.” I clicked the notification, my heart pounding in my chest. The article was about how they finally put Hank behind bars. It said a neighbor had called about terrible noises next door and it turns out that Hank was beating my mom. Again. The police arrested him and he’s going to have a life sentence to jail and no parole. 

Adelia texted me and she is just as happy for me. My mom got sent to rehab and I’ll get to see her at Christmas. In the meantime another major media wants to do a whole story about me and my brothers and our life with Hank. 

In addition, both my brothers, Austin and Conrad called me. We’re meeting for coffee and lunch later this afternoon.

Going from trying to live one more day and not die from an enraged stepdad, to big city cover story writer is a miracle in itself. I couldn’t be more grateful.

                 The End

June 26, 2022 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.