7 comments

Bedtime Friendship Sad

The way back to you will be a long and hard one. 

After all, there’s no set path; the only way is to let fate run its course and see if our reunion is written in our destiny. 

A year ago, we met, and grew close, and promised each other eternity. It seemed like it would all work out until external forces wedged their way between us, forcing us to separate. I’ll admit, it was painful to leave you. It was painful to see you forced out of my life as I stayed back, away from you, helpless. 

It’s been a long while since we last spoke. A month, at least. But even this one month has shown me how much I loved you, how much I relied on you, and how much I needed you. We leaned on each other and grew together, and I never wanted that time to end. 

Where would I be if we never met? I ask myself that on a daily basis, hoping that one day you’ll tell me that this was all a dream, that we can stay together, and that our lives will be just like they used to be. 

You’ll say that it was just a nightmare. 

But I know wishful thinking won’t get me anywhere. It’s useless to think that baseless optimism will help in any way. So for now, my plan is to just live for myself until I gather the courage to come find you again. 

I hope you’re doing okay. 

You said you’d contact me one final time, but you never did. 

Did something happen? Are you okay?

I truly hope you’re okay, but hope never got me anywhere far. 

At first I thought that you were just busy, or your mode of contact was cut off, or perhaps you were just away to make dinner. Maybe there was a family issue. 

If only you would respond and tell me what’s going on…

There’s nothing I can do right away, but I promise you I’ll figure something out. 

The optimal future for us would be if I could save up enough to move away, and get out of this place. Once I find a way out, it would be safe to go looking for you, and maybe we could make things work out between us again. 

I’ll be close to you, and this time, I’ll stay by your side. 

I won’t let anyone get in between us, not my family, nor my other friends; nothing the world throws at us will be able to keep us apart from each other. That’s the goal, isn’t it?

~~~

“Skye, where are you taking me?” 

I laughed softly as I tugged my friend along. “Don’t worry, it’s nothing dangerous. There's no need to be afraid. It’s just a bit rural, that’s all—” Just then, I nearly tripped on a tree root sticking up out of the ground. 

“You’re one to talk, you can’t even follow a familiar path.”

“Don’t be like that, Sage!” I said teasingly. 

Finally, the trees thinned as we neared a dropoff. The soil was a rich, dark brown, and slightly moist. There was a deep earthy scent trapped between the forest floor and the canopy leaves high above us that was just strong enough to be refreshing, but not too overwhelming. 

Off of the dropoff’s edge, a green, sparkling creek cut through the forest. Sage gasped in admiration as she noticed the sun glinting off of the water, making it look like a river of starlight. Tiny cascades flowed into the creek from the dropoff across from us, forming small ripples in the water which enabled us to see a few gray fish darting here and there. 

The water wasn’t too clear since it was a creek, after all, but it was still very beautiful. The ambience was perfect around us as cicadas hummed and a few birds chirped overhead. If only time could’ve stopped right then. 

“Skye, it’s beautiful,” Sage breathed. Gently, she pulled me into a hug. “Thank you. This is the best birthday present ever.”

I wrapped my arms around her, returning the affectionate gesture. “Of course! Sage, I love you. You’re my best friend. How could I give you anything less?”

I noticed Sage’s smaller body shivering slightly against my own. Is she cold? Wait, no… is she crying?

My question was answered when she spoke with a tear-filled voice. “You’re the best friend anyone could ask for.”

That summer night was long and warm, and the galaxy even came out that night. That white, shimmering arm of the Milky Way seemed to be shining just for us. Sage almost cried because of how beautiful it was. Admittedly, I nearly did too. 

~~~

Memories of that night are all I have now. 

It’s been years since we last spoke. I’m sorry I never found my way back to you. 

I can’t help but wish that you contacted me one last time, that we were able to converse freely and enjoy each other’s company like we used to. I just want to see you again. But as I said before, hoping and wishing never got me anywhere, did it?

I failed to escape my family. They treat me like an animal and have locked me up in this place. I’m no more than a puppet to them. 

Sage, I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry. I was forced to leave you when you needed me the most… and now, years later, I’m still stuck in the same helpless situation. 

Life always hated us, didn’t it?

Now, all I have left are those precious, magical memories of the time we spent together. That night in the forest will forever be etched into my mind. Although remembering you brings me great pain, I hold no animosity towards you, only to the forces that separated us. 

Hey, given the chance, would you forget me? Would you rather forget any influence I had on you, good and bad included? Sometimes I wonder if things would’ve been better for you if we had never met. 

The window lit up just now. It was gradual, but quick enough that I noticed it. I’ve been sitting here, writing this for a while now… and outside the window is an arm of the galaxy. 

Many are lucky to be able to see this even once in their lives, but I get to see it twice? I hope you can see it from wherever you are. It truly is magical, just like it was that night in the forest several years ago. There’s no way I’ll ever forget the awe on your face, the mesmerization that we both felt that day. 

Even when witnessing something beautiful in the present, I can’t help but reflect on the past. Is this really what I’ve come to?

Either way, I hope you’re doing better than me. A small part of me hopes you’ve already forgotten about me, or at least that the thought of me doesn’t influence you any more. 

But maybe, just maybe, if we’re lucky enough, we’ll meet again. 

Maybe I’ll find the way back to you.

December 18, 2021 03:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Phoenix LaRue
21:47 Dec 19, 2021

Hey, er, thanks for the advice you gave me in your bio. I'll be sure to remember those things. Yes, I hope we can be together again. We got separated by unfortunate circumstances, but surely they can't be unfortunate forever. This is a really good story, though. Very sweet, tender, and relatable as I'm sure you know.

Reply

Dia ✨
00:32 Dec 20, 2021

No problem! I hope it helps you. I wish you all the best. You're right, things won't stay this way forever. Surely you both will get through whatever's troubling you! And thank you so much! I really wasn't expecting either of you to read it. Reading about you both was strangely inspiring, so I hope you don't mind me writing about it. However, if it made you uncomfortable or you want me to take it down for a different reason, I surely will. Take care!

Reply

Phoenix LaRue
04:18 Dec 20, 2021

It very well might. So thank you! Aw, thanks so much. I'm glad you've kept us in your thoughts. I'm sure we will too. 🙂 You're welcome! It was pretty well-written, though. No, it's okay. You don't have to take it down. It was just surprising that someone knew about our situation, let alone writing a very sweet story about it. But thank you very much for it. I actually kind of needed it. Thank you. You take care too, alright?

Reply

Dia ✨
17:07 Dec 20, 2021

You both are so sweet! I'm relieved that you liked it, and if it helped you, then I'm really glad about that as well. And thanks to you too :D

Reply

Phoenix LaRue
04:29 Dec 21, 2021

It sure did help. It makes me feel strangely good that you'd think of us that much, to write a story about our situation. An unexpected blessing of sorts, you know? 😃😃😃

Reply

Dia ✨
04:51 Dec 21, 2021

Oh, I see! That's one way to think of it. I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts, then 💜

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.