34 comments

Urban Fantasy Horror Fiction

Beware, for my appetite is hard to satisfy. Once I have sunk my teeth into you, savoured your particular taste, it is very hard for me to let go. Think of when you suck juices from the bone, relishing every last drop of roasted meat; or the times when you lick the plate, greedily, trusting that no one is watching, sauce dripping from your chin. That is like me, feasting on a most delectable dish: you. 


You do not need to be marinated, tenderised or steeped in spices, I enjoy you quite as you are; yet it is remarkable- your ability to flavour yourself to my liking: sometimes sweet, sometimes salty, always spicy hot. Oh yes, the dish you serve might seem slow- cooked, but passion is always the flame that roasts you in the end: basted in your own juices, I just turn the spit, watching the flames lick higher. 


Curse me if you will, mock me if you must, but I only gnaw on your bones because you tempt me. And like a dog with a bone, you know I must leap and grab, shaking you in my jaws.


Yes, you can say my appetite disgusts you, this frenzied feeding; but I am only such a glutton because you heap my plate ever higher. If I feast, it is only because you throw such rich pickings my way. I grow, fatten myself, on your largesse: the bounty of you. 


Scabs on your knees and scars upon your heart, I lurk in the shadows of your nursery, sniffing out the moment that is ripe for me to bare my teeth and bite. Your baby sister, silhouetted against the nursery window, wreathed in light. Your mother dozes in the rocking chair, the words of a lullaby stream from her mouth even in sleep; she rocks, and croons and kisses the little head. You wonder at this new picture: this peace, so smooth compared to the rough and tumble of time with you. At the door you watch, suddenly an intruder in your own home; knowing the interloper can’t enter, mustn’t break this peace as then noise, baby’s cries, will cut like glass. 


Scenting the air, I smell the musk of your mother's slumber, the baby’s sweet new smell: clean of the reek of age and pain and what you feel when I sink my fangs into you for the first time. You flinch, of course you do, and try to shake me off, but I clamp down all the harder. 


Look, I say, shaking you like the rag doll that used to bring you comfort. Look at how she holds her up to your father; look at how he is enfolding them both in his arms. Where are you in this golden circle? A dark shadow, cast out and forgotten. I bite until I feel your resolve snap, a broken wishbone, and then I know you’re a dish I can feast upon my whole life long. I eat my fill and lay you down, chewed, stripped clean, only able to lie there, staring up into my clear, green eyes.


But sometimes sweet treats can sicken; that first taste, like a candy kiss, can cloy and soon it is salty foods I crave. I wait my time, hunger growing, growling in the pit of my stomach, louder as the years pass. When I can wait no longer, I prowl to the pitch where you practise every week. Coach is handing out the accolades: best pass, best teamplayer and, the one you covet: man of the match. He walks down the line and stops by your best friend, shaking him by the hand, slapping him on the back. 


Stealthily, I latch onto your ankle and sink my teeth into your soft, pliable and welcoming flesh. And with a small whimper you let me feed; others go to the locker, get washed and changed, and you stand there- alone. I gorge and guzzle, while you watch him and the girl you long to talk to, a dancing moth around his flame. Yes, sometimes the salt you baste yourself in, week after week, game after game, night after night, streaming down your face and soaking your pillow, tastes sweeter than all the candy you can buy. 


But what is my particular favourite, you ask? Well as you’re a fellow epicure and you won’t let it rest, I’ll confess: steep yourself in spices, give it all a good cayenne kick, set my mouth on peppery fire, for I like a blast of heat the best. Passion. Yes, that is the marinade you should steep yourself in; ladle after ladle of thick oozing passion. And you, poor tender fool, that is just what you do.


Watching them kiss after he brings the cup home for the team; picturing them hand in hand, kicking up the leaves as the autumn wind lifts their hair and hearts. And as Christmas sweeps in, her snowy mantle wrapped tightly about her, you are roasting in the furnaces of hell. Lying down in the heat you radiate, I feed and feed, growing fatter than the goose and all its trimmings. Glistening with fat, I bask in the gluttony you permit me, my green eyes forever trained on you.


Indulged, I wax corpulent, rolling with my folds: a Falstaff with fangs. Still you toss me titbits: curled in your bed, picturing your lover, encircled by another’s arms. He is faceless, nameless, a fear made flesh which you feed me from your hand. We are never satiated, even when we walk down the aisle, turn and watch, with predatory eyes, the vision of your lovely bride. 


Regarding you now, more morsel than meat, like a thin scrape of butter on a meagre scrap of bread, I feel almost compelled to apologise on the behalf of others. Such a shame the family never comes to fatten you up, or that sporty friend doesn't pop round for a beer. And your wife? Well, perhaps the less said there the better; at least you can rely on me. 


Patting my head, I’m your trusty companion; no longer a loathed monster, rather a loyal pet, forever walking at your side.


September 10, 2023 21:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Nina H
09:31 Sep 11, 2023

“O beware, my lord, of jealousy; It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on.” - Othello may be my favorite Shakespeare, and you ran with it!! The personified monster of jealousy here is so brilliantly spot-on evil, and yet so recognizable. You have to look away a moment and say but not “me”, but then we have all felt to a degree the monster’s bite. This was excellent!! 💚

Reply

Rebecca Miles
10:03 Sep 11, 2023

You've found me out! Yes, Othello: the beautiful ideal and the savage, ugly reality. I'm with you on the may-be- the-favourite; certainly up there giving King Lear a run for its money. I had good fun giving this the full Iago treatment and running hell for leather with the gustatory imagery. It was a lot of fun to write. Thanks so much for calling by so soon and the words of encouragement.

Reply

Nina H
10:31 Sep 11, 2023

I think there should be an updated Lear, set on the Maury Povich show (do you have that there??) where Regan and Goneril are called out on how they REALLY feel about their dad 😂 It would be a hit! Or, only a handful of people will get it. Could go either way. 😝

Reply

Rebecca Miles
11:32 Sep 12, 2023

I haven't seen that (but then I don't watch the box much!) I'd love a chat-show style piece of drama with these two though. Can you imagine the mud -slinging and the cat- calling (or what the modern day equivalent would be of the Gloucester scene- eugh!) King Lear has the best put down I think: "You're not worth the dust the rude things blows in your face". Oh, the love of sisters....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
10:32 Sep 15, 2023

Whoa! Shades of Iago, my friend! I blame you for putting Shakespeare in my head when I read this tale. The green-eyed monster that feeds on the flesh it mocks, and so forth. You really envisioned this when you gave jealousy an appetite - and different ones, at that. Also, you had a Falstaff with fangs. Nice! Personifying jealousy was brilliant, Rebecca. What a clever way to flesh out this emotion. Written with a lyrical quality and with a grace that jealousy doesn't deserve. Like The Bard, you take something and elevate it well beyond any s...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:20 Sep 17, 2023

Thanks so much Del. Haven't tried a personification piece in a long old while so thought I might have a tustle with one of the nastiest beasts around. Thanks as ever for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
21:20 Sep 13, 2023

This was a beautiful read. The way the story unfolded evoked Carl Jung's ideas. The attention to detail with a little repetition really made the early threats from the 'monster' quite uncomfortable to read. In a good way! :) This was brilliant. Good luck with it in the contest

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:59 Sep 14, 2023

Thanks Tom. My rescue dog can sometimes exhibit behaviours of the green- eyed monster so I had lots of real experience to creatively channel here. 😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:42 Sep 12, 2023

Very nice :) The horror of this, the beauty of this, is the ending. All along we have a fairly antagonistic monster, but by the end, we claim it. It's ours, it's our friend, it's the only thing we have left. Consumed by jealousy indeed! Critique-wise, the monster's voice exudes a confidence that gives the impression of inevitability. I think that's a key point for stressing how hard an emotion this is to struggle with, which I'm sure anyone who's ever felt jealous can attest to. Spreading this out over three different stages of life also s...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:58 Sep 14, 2023

Hi Michal, yes I definitely channelled the Iago here and the sense of inevitability. As soon as he's got Othello in the web it's hard to imagine he's going to disentangle himself. I'm glad the stages worked. Heading over to yours as soon as I've fixed a cuppa.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
03:59 Sep 12, 2023

Wow, Rebecca! A masterstroke. That would be my pick for the win so far. You came up with a tremendous concept for this story and executed it absolutely flawlessly. Great work!!! A thrilling read. You painted a vivid picture in an economy of words.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
11:35 Sep 12, 2023

That is very generous of you Jonathan; with a bit of a legs-up from Shakespeare you know ,-) Thank you so much, and for reading so many of mine in such quick succession; I promise to head over to your page soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
04:41 Oct 06, 2023

Hi Rebecca! Oh my goodness, your vivid language was so exceptional for the story! Each paragraph was somehow more in-depth, and more beautiful than the last one, and you blended horse, so beautifully into it I was incredibly impressed with the way that you slowly gave us each little detail so we could put together who this narrator is. As readers we were simply immersed from the very first line. The title was the cherry on top, and I absolutely adored the story!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:55 Oct 06, 2023

Thanks Amanda; I think the monster of description bit me with this one and wouldn't let go! It was great fun to unleash a more devilish side. The joys of fiction eh!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Margery Wood
15:03 Sep 22, 2023

Very Grand Guignol! Takes the heart of the Othello story and illustrates it in very opulent language.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:05 Sep 22, 2023

Thanks Margery; yes, quite opulent! A purple blanket of a story ,-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chalice Davis
23:44 Sep 21, 2023

What mastery! I love this and I honestly don't feel like anything I say will be anything better than what others have said, but I do feel as though I'm learning how to really play with a metaphor.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:06 Sep 22, 2023

Thanks Chalice. This was a fun one to go full hog with the metaphor. I'm glad it worked for you,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.W. Kimmel
01:47 Sep 20, 2023

Wow really fun read! Really enjoyed your use of language and rhythm, and clever way to portray jealousy

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:52 Sep 20, 2023

Thank you so much. I'm glad it had rhythm! The drum beat of obsession perhaps!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
10:52 Sep 19, 2023

Wow, you have an incredible gift for not wasting a single word. Every sentence had a purpose, every paragraph pushing the story forward. It was so detailed with mouth watering descriptions 😏. Where did you pick up this talent for writing? I loved this story and look forward to reading more of your work. Best, Danie

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:47 Sep 19, 2023

Cheers Danie. That is high praise indeed. I think it was Atwood who said a word, after a word, after another word is power; I just think about placing them very carefully and hope they clock in at the end with a punch! I'm glad this one had the boxing gloves on ,-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
11:40 Sep 18, 2023

This was beautifully horrific, and terribly relatable. The narrative voice seemed to hail from a bygone era, I see from the comments people referencing Shakespeare but for me I hear Poe and Lovecraft. Regardless this piece has the same thing as all of them, timeless horror. The use of second person really amplifies this piece and puts the reader in the darky murk of jealously. And let's not forget the MC's life spun throughout. Really great, marvellously written.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:31 Sep 18, 2023

Hi Kevin, thanks so much, and for pointing out the poor MC, languishing in those jaws! I don't normally write horror so I'm pleased my take wasn't simply horrible;-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
22:47 Sep 17, 2023

Loved the idea, and the execution. I' m reading with green-eyes myself ;) I loved this line- "Indulged, I wax corpulent, rolling with my folds: a Falstaff with fangs" Thanks!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:30 Sep 18, 2023

Thanks Marty. I couldn't resist sneaking Falstaff in too ;-) No green eyes; I always really enjoy your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
16:53 Sep 16, 2023

Lively descriptions, interesting, nice flow and so eloquently said everything you needed to say. Well written!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:21 Sep 17, 2023

Cheers Belladonna. Pleased it hit the rather nasty spot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:33 Sep 14, 2023

Oh My! And you called me a poet, you poet laureate! The prose here doesn't miss a beat. Perfect lilting voice for the monster who has all of us in his/her palms, every now and then. You have captured his journey beautifully. Like a river, his origin is an inconspicuous spring, but as he gains his hold on his prey, he is a roaring Amazon. And of course once the symbiotic relationship is established, the ending is but natural. Sad but inevitable.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:56 Sep 14, 2023

Ah bless you. I think Simon Armitage is pretty amazing and before him Carol Ann Duffy. I don't think King Charles is going to be calling me up anytime soon in the services of the country but your commendation means a lot to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:36 Sep 11, 2023

So deliciously cruel! How we feed that one and all the monsters within.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
11:33 Sep 12, 2023

A very apt adjective there! I'm sure there will be some other very delicioushly devilish monsters stalking, prowling and shaking their many heads on Reedsy this week! Thanks for reading so early on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
03:00 Sep 11, 2023

Gone dark this week, and I am eating it up! With an allegory like this, I would have thought you a professional poet. Riddled with rich imagery, I was engrossed by each line. You really captured the icky-sticky feeling of jealousy, especially the ravenousness of it. It can eat you alive, and you've made that explicitly clear here: "I am only such a glutton because you heap my plate ever higher; if I feast, it is only because you throw such rich pickings my way." There is so much to desire, there is so much constantly shoved in our faces. Soc...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:41 Sep 11, 2023

I was lashing about with leeches and society sucking it out of us, a few hundred words for something funny, another few hundred for a tragic yarn. I really didn't think I'd submit anything and then inspiration struck last night and I wrote it in a comparable flash. Funny you should mention poetry, I've dabbled in that over the years but never progressed it. I'd be interested in hearing from you about your experience as I know you write poetry too. Yes, it's hard in our world to keep the green eyed monster at bay and that reciprocal relations...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.