1 comment

Drama Fiction Sad

They were promised that on the ship going to the island would not be too many people. But here all the benches were full, many tourists had not manage to find any place and had to stay. And all of this during so-called COVID limitations, which no doubt were more only on paper than for real help, but still. It is even interesting what is going on this country during normal times. Max was lucky enough to be in one of the first buses, thanks to that he got his chance to catch his sit on the wet branch near the tent. If his luck would stay with him further, he might even get some shadow during on the way. Actually, he does not want to regret about this trip till the end of the holidays because of the peeling skin. Even worse, he will need to listen to his friends and girlfriend’s jokes, who refused to go despite three days of his persuasions and decided to stay in the hotel to drink cocktails on the beach all day long.

New and new buses came and came to the ship all the time, creek full of tourists on the ladder did not plan to become smaller. By the way, right as his girlfriend said, the majority on the boat were families with children. She was constantly complaining that it there is no chance that any grown up person would watch turtles on the beach on his own will. No one around could say how many buses exactly they must wait so people around just started to unpack food they brought. It was even strange that they were doing it with such a crazy energy, anyone who had not known might think that they did not just finished their hotel breakfast and that the trip to the island for sure could not be just 30 minutes otherwise why so much food.

Looking how parents were trying to force the small boy nearby to drink orange juice, Max remembered that he forgot to pack bottle of water. It could actually become a problem in this heat, moreover, on the rocky island might be no shadow. Of course, in the center of the boat there was a construction looked like improvised bar, already with the huge line. Possibly there Max could buy some overpriced water. But considering strengthening сrush on the boat and constantly coming new buses, taking a walk to the bar now for sure meant loosing his sit on the bench. And it is 30 minutes staying on the rocking waves, while Max was not completely sure that he would not catch sea sick even sitting.

The worst part was that thoughts about water stuck in his head, so thrust was becoming worse and worse. The hurt that neither his girlfriend nor his friends came with him also was strengthening. He was again and again turning in his head how would he gracefully shame them for the fact that they are not interested in anything and prefer laying on the beach not studying new places. As they already made him pick this stupid country for holidays. He felt also ashamed for sitting angry again. Angry on his friends for leaving him, on people around for being to many and too noisy, on the touristic firm for scam. And, of course, angry on himself for being angry and loosing the moment to enjoy sea around and the sun, which he sees so little at home. Just sitting angry again. He even could not make up his mind and ask the neighbor family to look after his seat.

Almost all brunches were occupied with only a few places left as they were too narrow to sit and too uncomfortable to get. One of such seats was right near Max. It was too small even for one person. One embarrassed guy approximately of Max’s age was trampling nearby. It was obvious that he really wanted to sit, but he felt awkward to squeeze between Max and the board. In another situation Max would think that the guys insecurity was funny if just he would not be so nervous himself about a short walk to the bar to grab water. He even felt a bit something like a pity for this guy: he was nervous, twitching, trampling, alone here.

-Hey, you might want to sit here? – and even moved his backpack to give the guy a bit more space. To be honest, the feeling was quite heroic. The guy happily knocked and flopped on the bench. His eyes were full with such a grace as if Max just suggested him his only kidney.  

Max decided to use the wave of self confidence and the fact that he already felt himself a bit better than this newbie. So he just informed the guy about the decided fact:

- I am going to buy some water. Please, look after my place. I forgot my bottle.

The new guy quickly knocked and hesitantly asked:

-Can you buy one for me? I will give you money back. For sure. I promise. I can give you right now.

-No need. Later. You have no way to run away – we are on the ship, - and fully satisfied with the joke feeling as the absolute winner Max went to the bar.

He came back with three bottles. Cannot be too much in such a heat. The guy was sitting on the bench already squeezing prepared euro for water in his hand. He was sitting shrinked al this time as he was afraid to occupy even one millimeter of the temporary freed Max’s place. When the guy got the water, he knocked with the same level of live saving grace. After a few minutes of silent Max decided that such a friend for one day is not the worst solution. At least, it is better than sit alone and angry on himself and whole humankind.

- I am Max.

And this grace in the eyes again.

- Alex.

And silence again. Ok, Max understood that he is the only person here, who would be obliged for this conversation.

-Actually, I am here with my friends. And my girlfriend. But they did not come. You know, some people need nothing in this life, just stupidly chill and that is all. But I am another type of person. I prefer to consider myself as the intelligent one. I am interested in everything new: it is said that it is beautiful on this island, ancient city, quite cool. And, to be honest, I need to say you, I have never seen sea turtles. It is awesome, no? How people can miss this. Are you also going for the turtles? By the way, in which hotel do you stay? Also with the friends? Family?

Alex turned to Max his pale face, touched his glasses and started to talk. He had so calm and tucking in voice that he sounded like the part of sea waves sound:

- I came alone, for a week. I am visiting local monasteries. They have such fantastic relics, you would not believe. I have just started the new job, before I was not even dreaming about such a trip to these places. I am going to this island to see St. George Monastery. Unique! Absolutely unique! Have not you noticed in the schedule? It is in the same time as turtle beach.

-Historian?

-Actually, physicist.

-Ah, so history is just your hobby? Or architecture?

-For sure, I like history, but emmm just wanted to touch saint places, become a part of it. I also dream about Jerusalem. But for this I suppose I would two or even three weeks.. You know to visit all the temples. Relics! You understand, for sure.

It took some strength for Max not to show disgust. He had to understand in advance that the guy was a bit strange. He even did not believe that there still might be religious people of their age. At least, normal people. But this guy obviously is not normal.

-Fuck, you really believe in all that? Or you have parents issues? You are physicist! Sorry, of course, I understand that it is not very polite, we have just met. But, sorry again, I cannot understand how a person could be religious in the modern world. Just really cannot get it. I am even not a physicist, just a lawyer, but I am not even close for such strange stuff. We have artificial hearts, computers, internet, space ships. Really, how can you believe in the old man above, when we have space travel?

- I said nothing about “ the old man above”. I just believe that there is something. Otherwise, I would be too afraid to live my life, - Alex said it again so slowly and sleepy.

Max decided not to answer, it was stupid to loose the only available companion. Minute of silent again. Max even got afraid that his neighbor became angry on him. But then Alex asked something about the hotel, Max answered, asked about the studies, work. Went on to discussions of games, their homeland bars, air tickets prices. Found out that Alex was actually normal guy with some strange issues, of course, but, even a cool guy. To be honest, they were quite satisfied with each other.

Set in the bus together. Together ate sandwiches during the stop on the gas station. Made the photos of each other in front of the beautiful black mountains sight. Even made selfie, which was a rare thing for both of them. Alex to show his mother that he is ok. Max to show everyone left on the main land that he is enjoying the tip even without them.

In fact the trip was wonderful. He has to say that Max never regretted about the money paid. The island was very nice. Even fantastic. It was hypnotizing with something shimmering. Black cliffs, strobing sand, ancient buildings on the edge of the steep mountains, from where the was shocking window view on the sea. By the way, Alex was even right in some way, monasteries also were astonishing. Well, he also turned out to be quite good tour guide. Max enjoyed walking with him through temples and even remembered his childhood and religious grandma, when he unexpectedly for himself decided to cross in some spots. 

There was only one problem: everywhere were serpentines. Because of the cliffs buses had to wade on the very edge of the collapsing old routes. Notably the buses were of standard size, not micro at all. And they were riding quite fast. Max knew well about himself that he might feel sick on such roads, but now he was strongly muddled.  Especially, when the bus from his last strength was trying to reach the final destination point of the trip – St. George Monastery and Turtle beach. On this road segment the way was really wild, there were no edge borders, old crashed cars were seen all around the slope. And even oncoming traffic on the one-line roads. Max tried to keep calm, but secretly was holding a plastic bag prepared in case of vomiting. Looking on the greenly gray Alex’s face showing all grades of angst it was fully understandable that he also feels not very well. Max even thought that he saw as Alex was whispering praying words. Of course, Max would prefer to overcome this moment without this nervous praying detail. Only fearless children were still running between the rows despite the guide and their parents begging them to stop it. Max was trying to remind himself that they are not the first tourist group here, everything is planned. Nothing wrong could happen.

But it happen. On one of the twists into the oncoming lane the tiny local car skipped out from the cliff corner. Further everything was maximum quickly and slow simultaneously. Max could justify that everything happened in the absolute silence. But after, when he was sharing this story, memory would bring up new and new sound details: children and their parents booming crying, stones roar, clang of falling vehicles. And something more: flashing, non-clear, not-found, frightening.

Max mind became clear again only when all the tourists were carefully brought out of the bus and put in the specially ordered small cars. Their bus managed to prevent the fall: only one behind wheel was fleeting over the abys. But the tiny car fell. And from their spot, from the road it looked even more tiny lying on the slope. How it was found out afterwards there was the whole family with a small child. Max was surprised for himself when he understood that his head was full of praying at that moment. But maybe it was understandable after the whole day spent with religious Alex.

Tourists were calmed with some meaningless words, asked not to panic, promised to go back by another road, were put in the smaller transport and took further to the final destination. Only the driver was left near accident place to solve all juridical issues. All the left road they spent in complete silence, even children kept silence. Even the tour guide, previously talking too much about any microscopic detailed seen from the bus windows. The silence was scary, pressing. Max turned to Alex, he was even more pale than before, lost and stared only on the seat in front of him. And Max asked a question. The question he had no idea in the beginning of the day that he could ask. Even no idea in the beginning of the day that he could think about it.

-Why did not you pray at that moment?

Alex looked at him, he was even more lost than a minute ago.

-For what? What could it change?

And with this silence they reached the final destination. A lot of time was lost on the road and they got only half an hour for everything, so they had to choose either go to the beach or to monastery. But, of course, no one wanted to go anywhere. Max touched his neighbors shoulder:

-Alex, can I go to the monastery with you? I really do not want to watch these turtles.

The guy nodded the head.

- I changed my mind. I am going swimming. I am done with all that temples and churches. I am free now, - sharply turned and went down to sand and the sea alone.

And Max went to an ancient building. Came to the icon, took the candle and started to pray. He was shocked with his head holding all these words deeply inside. Wax dripped on his fingers making them burn, words of praying looked to be in the wrong order. But he felt so good, so assured, so calm that there is even somewho, even someone big and strong and fair, who will take care of him, look after him. And not only after him, but also after his girlfriend, carelessly chilling and drinking cocktails, after his friends, playing volleyball on the sand, not thinking about death or fate. And what is the most important, look after his parents, spending their time in the old country house. Someone will help everyone, whom Max loves so much and whom needs this help so desperate.

Alex slowly reached very water edge, getting rid of his clothes, shoes and backpack right on his way. He threw his T-shirt in the place, where it could easily be vanished by the upcoming wave. Glasses, with which he always was so careful, he threw right in the sand. He did not care anymore. He made several strong strokes, got away a bit from the main tourist crowd and turned to his back. And laid. Laid in the circle of the azure, miracle water. Felt the sea salt with his skin. Looked at the heating summer sun. And felt so good. He laid swinging on the water with understanding: finally, he is absolutely free. Now he will take the decisions about his life on his own. There is no sense to wait for help. He doesn’t need it anymore. Sea is around him, he is alive, everything is ok and he is finally on his own.

May 12, 2023 14:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Andrea Doig
15:35 May 18, 2023

Hi Katerina - an interesting take on the prompt .. very different from my story! Well done on submitting and continuing on your writing journey!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.