0 comments

General

Just as Divya’s hand went to the cold doorknob, she realised that she had been locked inside the stinky women’s room, by god knows whom. She could not believe that this was happening to her. She had entered the place with a scarf over her nose and had expected to be out within two minutes of entering. She had taken this entry into the women’s room, that smelled like a dead rat was left here every week, as a punishment for drowning all that soda all along the long drive. And now she was stuck here. 

“Shit,” murmured Divya.

She was starting to panic and wondered if this was it. She heard the flush go off in another stall and felt herself loosen up a bit. At least she wasn’t alone in this whole thing. She picked her mobile phone from her bag and noted that the cell reception was almost nil. 

She couldn’t even make a call!

The door opened and a woman who also seemed around twenty, walked out. Her long brown hair with green highlights, headed straight to the washbasin. She pierced the stream of cold water that gushed out of the tap. She was drying her hand on a tissue, when she noticed Divya’s almost green face staring straight at her. 

From her wide eyes and general panic, she knew something was wrong. She slowly made her way to Divya and laid a soft hand on her inadvertently shivering shoulder.

“May I help you?” she asked, trying to be as gentle as possible.

“Somebody can definitely help both of us,” said Divya, biting her chapped lips. When Divya looked down at her fingernails, she noticed that most of them had disappeared. 

“I am not sure I understand,” said the woman. She moved back a step. She wasn’t sure if Divya was under any emotional strain. She watched her closely as the next words left her mouth. 

“The door has been locked from outside,” said Divya, pointing at the now abominable door handle. 

The woman’s eyes widened. She tried the door for herself. She let the situation sink in. Her features all registered panic but she tried to compose herself. There has to be a rational way to deal with this situation. But all rationality was soon evaporating as the stench from the unsanitary stalls wafted towards them. 

Divya’s nose had already started to adjust to the foul smell but the other woman’s, not so much.

“May I know if you have reception in your phone?” asked Divya.

“I left my phone with my husband, who should have gone into the dining area by now.”

“Well, that’s a good thing. He will probably start looking for us.”

“I hope I survive that long,” she said trying hard to cover her nose with her shirt collar.

“You can have my scarf. My nose has adjusted to the smell and is no longer suggesting to my stomach that it should bring back my half-digested lunch,” said Divya, trying to lighten the mood.

“Thanks. I am Tara,” she said extending her hand. 

“Hi, I am Divya.”

The two of them tried to alternatively knock on the door, but the only response that they received were from their sore knuckles.

The restrooms were on a deserted part of the compound. The only people who visited that part of the hotel were the ones whose bladders threatened them. 

The two women stared at each other for a long minute. They had been in there ten minutes. Both of their noses had adjusted to the stench. But they desperately wanted to get out of the claustrophobic room. 

“I can’t believe that they have washrooms in deserted parts of the hotel. It could be a safety issue. Hell, it is. Look at us,” said Tara.

“I know right, there are no intercoms here. Not even big enough windows,” replied Divya.

“Exactly, I was driving over to Chennai. I could have made the stop anywhere. I decided on here. Fate, I guess.”

“No way, we were driving to Chennai too,” said Tara.

“Really? May I ask what you were going to do there?”

“I live there.”

“Me too.”

They asked each other where exactly the other lived.

“I can’t believe we live barely five kilometers from each other. Look where we meet,” laughed Divya.

“Exactly,” said Tara, with a smile. 

They spent a couple minutes talking about their respective lives in their hometown when they remembered their present location.

Just as Divya was about to suggest breaking off the door, they heard footsteps approaching them. The two of them started to bang on the door fervently. That minute, the door saw all the pent-up anger, fear and energy that the two women collectively held. They heard the footsteps quicken, almost a fast jog. 

The latch outside creaked slightly, and then more loudly. With one final loud bang, the latch moved to the side and the door opened up wide. The two women rushed out immediately and inhaled as much fresh air as their lungs accepted to hold. 

The two of them hugged each other and jumped in place.

“We are out, we are out,” screamed Divya.

“Yes, we are,” screamed back Tara. 

The man who had let them out was staring at them and they saw a child, around ten, stare at them apologetically.

“He had wandered off a few minutes ago. My husband and I were looking for him. He seemed frantic and told us that he had locked the door to the women’s room accidentally. He was just playing with the shiny golden latch and ended up locking it. I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience he caused,” said an extremely embarrassed and apologetic women, whom they assumed was the little boy’s mother.

“Well at least he had the good sense to tell the adults about it. Some boys would have just run from fear of being punished,” said Divya.

“I am really sorry,” said the parents. 

Divya and Tara were making their way the dining area when Tara’s husband walked out. He was looking worried.

“I was starting to get worried about you. What took you so long. I thought you were going to the restroom,” he said. He also noticed the other woman standing next to his wife.

Maybe they knew each other and had lost track of time catching up.

He tried to think if he had seen her somewhere.

“Long story, honey,” said Tara. “Which my new friend and I can enlighten you on,” said Tara seeing his quizzical look. 

“Oh, no. I really shouldn’t. you guys go ahead and have your dinner. Don’t let me bother you,” said Divya.

“It’s no bother at all. I insist. Join us for dinner. I have a feeling we might have fun,” said Tara.

Divya smiled and walked along with the couple to their now table for three. 

August 25, 2020 18:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.