0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

(This is a continuation of the Astronomy Research Paper, nothing to do with the prompt. Thank you! This is a continuation of the first one, so for more background information go to the first one.)

Astrophysics: The Branches 

As mentioned, there are five main branches for astrophysics. Astrophysics is studying the laws of physics in space. The names of astrophysics’ branches are cosmology, photometry, spectroscopy, heliophysics, and asteroseismology. Astrophysics has to do with the laws of physics and how that applies to celestial bodies. Cosmology is the birth, evolution, and death of our universe. How it has come to be, how it has grown, and is growing, and eventual ending. Stephen Hawking was a cosmologist. (See page 10 for more information on Stephen Hawking.) 

Photometry is luminosity of objects in space based on electromagnetic radiation. (Electromagnetic relates to electric currents or magnetic fields.) Spectroscopy is how light reflects, absorbs, and transfers between matters in space. Figuring out light in space. Heliophysics is the sun’s constant radiation that affects space. How the sun’s luminosity affects us all. Asteroseismology is studying the internal structure of stars by observing their oscillations. (Oscillations means movement back and forth at a speed. It also means the regular variation of position or magnitude around a point in space.)

Astrometry: The Branches

There are three main branches in astrometry. As mentioned, Astrometry is how celestial bodies are positioned and move in space. The other two branches are planetology and exoplanetology. Planetology is about how planets form, from the history to the composition of them currently. Exoplanetology is a bit more on the side of planetary studies. Exoplanetology is how many and where planets are outside the solar system. It deals mostly with other planets in our universe, seeing if there is another planet possible. It counts and measures the planets. 

Astrogeology: The Branches 

There are three branches under astrogeology. Astrogeology, as mentioned, is geology relating to geological bodies in space. The other three are areology, selenography, and exogeology. Areology is the study of geology on Mars. Important to see if there is another possible planet. Selenography is also a really cool way of saying physical features on the moon. For example, craters. Then there is exogeology. Exogeology is the main branch under astrogeology, basically the study as a whole. How geology relates to celestial bodies. Especially moons, astroids, planets, meteorites, and comets. It is basically the whole study and the point of Astrogeology. 

Astrobiology: The Branches

Astrobiology has two branches underneath it, astrochemistry and exobiology. Astrobiology is, as mentioned, the one that has to do with life in space. How life, for example extraterrestrials, evolved in the universe, originated, and what its eventual fate will be. What the start and eventual end will be to our universe. Astrochemistry has to deal with substances in stars and interstellar space. And then, the one that yes, has to do with aliens, exobiology. Where life is in space. For example, on one of Jupiter’s moons they have found water. It gives them a chance for life, and maybe even a chance for us to live there. Thus, something exobiologists are studying. 

There is a theory out there that has hypothesized life on the moon. If about 50 years ago we took a bacteria that lives in Antarctica and put it on the moon, about now there would be some mold growing on the moon. Then it would lead to other life forms or us being able to live on the moon. However, due to global climate change, the chances of that are small. And we have not done that, so there is no mold on the moon. There is no chance that we’ll really be able to live on the moon now. Besides the point, there is no atmosphere on the moon and the moon lacks two very vital things for us to live. Vast amounts of water and gravity. While there is not much hope for us to live there, we are still studying it. And there as at least a slight possibility for us to be able to live there. 

Measuring Tools Used in Astronomy

All of the branches  need tools, as any form of science needs. The main few that they use are cameras, spectrographs, interferometers, rovers, rockets, telescopes, and satellites. The current telescope that NASA uses is the Hubble telescope. The telescope has two cameras. They are used to take pictures of the cosmos and other various celestial bodies. The telescope has both COS and STIS. (COS stands for Cosmic Origins Spectrograph, STIS stands for Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph.) The graphs of the spectrograph are used for the practice of spectroscopy. It basically is breaking down colors and pictures, etc. It is mainly used for astrophysical research.

The telescope includes fine guidance sensors, also known as the three interferometers. The first two can lock the telescope on the thing of study. (As long as it is a point of light. If there is no light point, the telescope cannot lock.) The other sensor can gather information on the body of study. The tool has been in use since 1990, and since it has launched it has discovered 100s of stars, including figuring out how far away they are. It is the telescope that is one of the biggest resources for astronomy. They help especially astronomers, Messier objects, and deep sky objects. The telescope has many uses. Engineers are already building telescopes for generations to come. They develop them more and more, making them even more advanced than ever. Engineers are working hard to develop them even more. 

Rovers are also important, used for astrogeology mainly. The ones on Mars being some of the most as that one really helps archaeologists. Rockets are also important to most of the topics and branches. But some of the resources for studying space can be done by using the Earth. Satellites are important, but there are so many that they all have different uses. They are really  helpful, and it also helps Earth scientists, depending on the satellite. Telescopes have been in use for years, and have been important to Astronomy for a very long time. Hubble is probably one of the best out there, however scientists are already working on another one and updating it. Instruments in Astronomy are really important.

October 04, 2023 00:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.