Felicity's Perfect Day

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Write a story about a fandom... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fiction Speculative

Felicity Forest sat back and felt a tingle of satisfaction run down her spine. “Yes, that’s 100 lines! Done!” She gazed down at the paper in front of her. In her curly, ladylike script written on pink parchment paper were the lines: “I WILL meet Jaxx Johnston tomorrow”. Every i was dotted with a neat smiley face. “100 is a powerful number” she thought. Then she folded the paper neatly, 5 times. Knocked firmly on it with her fist… 5 times. Five was Felicity's favorite number.

Felicity Forest had been following Jaxx Johnstone's career for 5 years. He was only the most famous, beautiful, amazing, being on this whole earth. He was blonde, blue eyed and sang like an angel. His birthday fell on 5.5 55. He fronted a very popular band, garnering worldwide attention. No one could surpass Jaxx in Felicity's eyes. No one. “Okay,” she thought, swooning, and reaching for the corner of the table for support. “Now, to prepare for tomorrow!” She was beyond happy, and truly ready.

Felicity made her way to her bedroom, skipping, and flicked on the light, one, two, three times. “Okay, now to find the perfect outfit” she thought. She sat down on her single bed, emblazoned with a life sized quilt of Jaxx Johnston. It had not been an easy item to find, she'd had to pay a pretty price to another fan to make it her own. She clapped her hands 5 times to help her focus. This would be the hardest part, dressing for him. She’d read that Jaxx’s favorite colour was blue. But then she’s read it was red. "Oh, I don't know which he would love better" Felicity sat, for a long time biting her fingernails, then got up to turn 5 times, clap 5 times and clear her head. "Ah, yes!" Felicity decided on the blue dress with red trim, it just felt so right. She carefully hung the dress, brushed her teeth, twice, as that was important. She fell asleep quickly, and dreamed all night of Jaxx Johnston and how she loved him so.

The sun shone through the window early that 5th of April morning, brightly illuminating Jaxx's face on the quilt. Felicity awoke with joy in her heart. “Finally,” she thought. "This is IT! 5 years, I have waited. Soon I will fall at the feet of my idol" Her heart pounding, she put on her make-up, curled her long red hair, and carefully packed the blue dress with the red trim. She folded it precisely 5 times.

As she packed her bag for the 5-hour trip to the city, she giggled, happy beyond her wildest dreams. She left her apartment; bag, ticket, and everything perfectly in place, she smiled. Locked her door, one, two, three, four times, because that was how it needed to be.

Five hours later, Felicity arrived at the Stadium. She knew that Jaxx would be arriving at 5pm in the tour bus. She had spent many hours on the fan website, chatting with other fans to gain the information needed for this all too important day.

Arriving right on time and having time to waste, she sat, all afternoon, waiting, playing Jaxx's songs over and over on her iphone. It was warmer than she had expected. Drowsing on and off, and walking around her car 7 times each hour helped to pass the time. When the time drew near, she got her perfect dress out of the trunk, refreshed her perfect make-up and shivered with glee. This was it. The day she had longed for. She knocked on the dash board, once, twice, three times….as her breathing got faster…four times, five, her hands shook, not with nerves but with excitement.

The tour bus arrived, right on time! Felicity leapt out of her car, heart pounding, careful to lock the door, 3 times, before rushing toward the tour bus.

Time stood still as Felicity stared watching several people lazily, slowly, exit the bus. This was unbearably exciting. Felicity rocked forward, 5 times, side to side, 5 times and repeated. Then, finally, Jaxx made his way down the stairs.

He did not quite look the way that Felicity expected, maybe tired? Maybe drunk? He was somewhat over weight, needed a shave and his clothes were wrinkled and shabby looking. Maybe the publicity photos were a bit touched up. What are looks anyway? Did not matter. Felicity rushed toward him. She blurted out “Jaxx! I love you!!, Please, I love you!!”

Jaxx staggered, He threw Felicity a sideways, disgusted glance. Then he sneered: “Fuck off, you crazy bitch!” Felicity, undaunted, followed behind Jaxx, “Say it again”, “say it again”….

Jaxx turned, and screamed, “Fuck off, fuck off, fuck off, fuck off”

Felicity stopped in her tracks and watched him stagger off towards the stadium and the rest of his life. She never saw the show that night. There was no point now that she'd met him. This was so perfect. It was all SO perfect.

On the drive home that night Felicity listened to KPR 2555, her favorite station. The most beautiful songbird came across the airwaves. He sounded like an angel!! The DJ announced after the song, "Well that was Billy Boyd, from the Caretakers, what a voice!" Under the stars, with the hum of her old Valiant keeping her company, she smiled, ran her hands through her hair. Billy Boyd! Oh, it's meant to be. " I WILL meet Billy Boyd!" Her mind ran wild with the thoughts of whether Mr. Billy had a fan site. Could she acquire a new bedspread? How would she start ? She pushed down on the accelerator.

"All will be well", thought Felicity. She blinked her eyes five times, blew five kisses back toward Billy, " To where ever you are, my love".

The drive home was full of promise and Felicity could not wait to get home. She had 100 lines to write. And every i would be dotted with a smiley face. Life was good.

March 24, 2023 04:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.