Missing Cat: Reward If Found

Submitted into Contest #211 in response to: Write a story involving a friendship with an adorable animal.... view prompt

24 comments

Fiction Mystery Happy

My head upside down, legs in the air, I listened without interest to the drone of adults talking. I was in my pajamas, laying upside down in one of the white wicker chairs my dad repainted about every three years or so. Sometimes the paint stuck to my sweating legs when I stood up, and I’d meticulously peel the spots of white. 

The thermometer on my back porch that summer night read 87F. It hadn’t cooled off at all since the afternoon when I was in the pool. The faint smell of chlorine from my towel, thrown carelessly on the back of a chair, mixed with the humid air trapped inside the enclosed back porch. Nightsongs of crickets echoed from the dark outside, while the frantic flights of a variety of bugs zipped around the deck light shining into the backyard.  

My neighbors from behind our house, Sam and Dana, had pushed aside the green plastic coated wire fencing that separated our properties to come over.  My father had cut it to easily venture back and forth between our houses. No children of their own, I invited myself over quite often to visit them. I was a delightful child, wasn’t I? I’m sure they loved my unannounced arrivals. In any case, they always greeted me with smiles and snacks, so of course I went back frequently. 

But that night, they came to visit with my parents and enjoy a peaceful summer night chatting with glasses of iced lemonade. The heat made the glasses sweat giant beads of water that collected in little elf-sized swimming pools on the glass top table. 

My ears perked up when I heard Sam bring up their neighbors. I knew those neighbor’s kids the way only kids know other neighborhood kids. There were the ones you ride your bike with to the next town in secret, and the ones you avoided. These were the ones you avoided. 

Always in trouble, their teen son John spent his time stealing from the Convenience store on the corner and spray painting swear words on the elementary school in town. His sister Jackie was no better, and enjoyed teasing all the kids who declined to play with her. I was one of them. 

Just the day before, she had knocked on my door and asked if I saw a cat around that was black, white, and fat. I had told her no, I haven’t seen any cats, and she went on her way. I expected a comment on my hair, or a laugh at my Rainbow Brite tshirt. But no, she just surprisingly left. I shrugged it off and returned to my Barbies. 

Sam was telling my parents how awful those two kids were to each other and also to their pets. Just recently he saw John taking their chubby little furball of a cat and laughing as he made her slide down their old rusty slide in the backyard. He said he came outside and told him to knock it off, that he could hurt her that way. But John just laughed. He also saw him wrap a belt around the cat’s neck like a leash, and the poor thing hissed and meowed til Sam stepped in that time too.

     Sam’s face had turned crimson as he talked about it. Dana put her hand on his arm, an effort to calm him. 

“They don’t deserve to have animals,” he said with anger that had turned to sadness. 

I stayed very quiet as the adults talked. I didn’t know if I should tell them John and Jackie’s cat was now missing. 

As I looked at Sam, and replayed his words in my head about some people not deserving animals, I wondered…could Sam have taken their cat away from them? 

I hadn’t been over to visit in a few days, so if they did have a cat roaming around their house I wouldn’t have known it.

I looked carefully at Sam, then at Dana. Did they exchange a knowing glance? There was a cat unaccounted for, one that deserved a better home and life than what it had been given. They were such kind people, the kind you never forget when they are in your life. Could they have taken her? 

And I know my father agreed with them. I saw the cans of cat food he left under the bush by our deck. Their cat was an outdoor cat, always wandering and seemingly looking for food.  My father thought he was sneaky about it, but of course I knew. 

Could my father be involved too? Or on his own? 

I had so many thoughts racing around my mind, that I barely heard the scratching at the metal door. My father set down his drink, and got up from his chair. We all sat up straight to see what was going on. 

My father opened the door, and in walked a much thinner black and white cat. And in her mouth, a tiny gray fuzzball of a kitten, mewing repeatedly. 

“Oh my goodness! Hannah, go get a blanket and towels!” my mother said excitedly. 

I ran to the linen closet and brought back an assortment for the mama cat and her baby. She set the kitten down in the blanket, and almost immediately the kitten stopped its mews and nestled itself into the warm softness of the blanket. 

“So that explains it,” I said with a smile. 

“Explains what, sweetheart?” Dana asked. 

“Jackie came by yesterday looking for her cat. She said she hadn’t seen her in awhile and asked if I had,” I told them. They all stared at me, then back at the cat. 

“What did you tell her?” My mother asked. 

“I said I haven’t seen any cats around,” I told her. 

“But this explains why she was so chubby and not around. She was a little busy having this kitten!” my father explained. 

And at that, the cat started meowing and scratching at the door again. 

“Should we let her go?” I asked. 

“Yes. Let’s see what she does,” my mother suggested. 

My father opened the thin metal door with the window on top, watching as the cat ran off. We sat looking at the tiny gray kitten, when another scratch at the door caught our attention. 

She was back, this time with a tiny black ball of meowing fur. She set him down in the blanket, and was off again. 

Six kittens in total. Each more adorable and fuzzy and precious than the next. I had suspected Sam was behind the missing cat, even my father. But it turns out she disappeared to have her kittens, then brought them to the safest place she could think of to protect them. 

We fed her, and she fed her babies, until eventually we found loving homes for each one. Sam and Dana kept the first kitten that arrived, the gray one, and named her Belle. They bought her a little yellow collar to wear. 

We opened the door to let the mama cat out many times, but she refused to leave. She was happy, well-fed, and very loved. So of course she wanted to stay. 

What about Jackie? 

Well, Jackie stopped her bike in front of my house eventually and stared into the large bay window we had in front. And at the black and white cat sunning herself in it. 

“Your cat looks an awful lot like MY cat you know. Where’d you get her?” she asked, never taking her eyes off the window. 

I nervously looked up from the sidewalk chalk masterpiece I had been creating. 

“Oh, you mean Whitney? Nah, she doesn’t look like yours. And we didn’t ‘get’ her. She got us,” I said quietly, going back to my drawing as nonchalantly as I could pretend to be. 

Jackie looked back at me. We locked eyes, and Jackie gave me a little nod. 

“She looks…happy,” Jackie said, looking back at the window and Whitney, who rolled over and yawned. We looked at each other one last time. Then Jackie peddled away without another word. 

I’ll never forget my first pet, and the night she trusted us with her life and her babies. 

August 16, 2023 11:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Jonathan Page
18:11 Aug 24, 2023

Really like the descriptions of the chlorine mixed with the towel smell, deck lighting, plastic coated wire fencing, night sounds of crickets, iced lemonade, mews and nestled--all of which were very immersive, and the ending with -she got us-. You bring the reader into the story very well! Great story!

Reply

Nina H
23:10 Aug 24, 2023

Thanks Jonathan! 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:53 Aug 22, 2023

A very cute tale, Nina. It was written with vivid description and real heartfelt voice. A wonderful depiction of a cat's life, the perils involved, and a happy ending. What I liked most about it, though, was Jackie. Her mini-transformation from bully to acceptance of her cat's better life is, in a way, the real jewel of the tale. Not only does the cat and the cat's litter have a better life, we see hope for Jackie. Nicely done, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Nina H
14:06 Aug 22, 2023

Thanks so much, Del! (Can I call you Del??) The reason I chose the title with “reward if found” is exactly that. The cat was found, and it was a reward for the cat, the narrator, AND Jackie. 😄 Thanks for reading and feeding back!!!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:29 Aug 22, 2023

You're welcome, and, yes, the title is apt. So often, the titles for tales don't quite fit the tale itself. I'm always pleased to see a writer put some thought into the title. Also: My students call me "Mr. Griffith." Friends, peers, colleagues, and the like call me "Del." My foes call me "that asshole Del," or a variation on that theme. I would be honored to consider you a writing colleague and a writing friend, so please, call me "Del."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
18:06 Aug 20, 2023

Such a lovely story, so well drawn I wondered if this was non-fiction. You obviously have a fondness for cats!

Reply

Nina H
22:01 Aug 20, 2023

Thanks so much Wendy! And guilty as charged - I just love them! 😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
17:22 Aug 20, 2023

Nina, I’m not sure which I enjoyed more. Your story or your profile description. Both show a great talent for writing. You have the ability to find the small details that make a big difference. I wish I could write like that. If I was going to give one bit of advice it would be to change this sentence from this- Six kittens in total. Each more adorable and fuzzy and precious than the next. To this- Six kittens in total. Each more adorable and fuzzy and precious than the last. Other than that I thought it was perfect.

Reply

Nina H
21:58 Aug 20, 2023

Thank you so much for the very kind words and compliment, Thom! And please, give yourself the credit you deserve for your writing. It’s fantastic. We are our own worst critics though, right?? I took your suggestion and made that change in my original file! That line felt like petting a cat in the wrong direction, didn’t it?? Lol! I just can’t change it here because it’s been taken in and given a home already amongst the contenders. Thanks for the help!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ian Patterson
22:50 Aug 19, 2023

Such a sweet story, best read with a cat in your lap!

Reply

Nina H
15:51 Aug 20, 2023

Absolutely, Ian! Though mine aren’t happy unless they crawl right up into my face 😂 they didn’t read the Lap Cat Manual!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:11 Aug 19, 2023

Lovely story! So happy the cat picked a nice home for itself! And yes I remember ours when she had kittens, couriering them all one by one behind the TV!

Reply

Nina H
11:00 Aug 19, 2023

Aww!! How adorable is that!! I bet she thought it was warm and cozy there! ☺️ Thanks for reading, Derrick! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
01:08 Aug 18, 2023

Quite a sweet story, as others have said, though the ending makes me believe there's more going on. Jackie knows - and she's fine with it. On some level she must both a) like the cat, and b) recognize that the cat wasn't safe at her home. Seems like there's an element of coming of age here. Beyond that, the backyard setting, and the heat, came across well. Likewise, the voice of the narrator - seemed to fit that age. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Nina H
09:34 Aug 18, 2023

Michał, that’s exactly it at the end with Jackie! Makes for a happy ending all around with her understanding those things, rather than pressing the issue that it is HER cat. Thanks for reading and your insightful comments! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vid Weeks
21:15 Aug 17, 2023

Great opening, with good detail and the hint of threat made me want to know what happens.

Reply

Nina H
22:50 Aug 17, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting Vid! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
12:17 Aug 17, 2023

A very sweet story, Nina.

Reply

Nina H
13:55 Aug 17, 2023

Thank you, Ty! This was my third attempt at the prompt this week. The others remain unfinished 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
01:28 Aug 17, 2023

Animals know those who are safe and I’m happy for the kitties in this story. So sweet! 😊

Reply

Nina H
10:30 Aug 17, 2023

I absolutely agree, J.D.! Thanks for the read and kind words 😊

Reply

J. D. Lair
14:58 Aug 17, 2023

Any time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:32 Aug 16, 2023

An adorable story. Love happy endings.

Reply

Nina H
18:42 Aug 16, 2023

Thanks Mary! I’m a sucker for a happy ending as well 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.