The Journey

Submitted into Contest #121 in response to: Write about someone giving or receiving a gift.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Teens & Young Adult Romance

“Beep, Beep, Beep!” My alarm started as the clock hit 9 a.m. I swiped left to dismiss it, keeping my eyes closed. I had done it so many times I didn’t need to see. Then I turned to lay on my back. It had been 2 weeks of ideas to no avail. What do you get your boyfriend for Christmas? I have been struggling with this question for far too long. Now it is November 24th, the day before Thanksgiving, and yet I still have nothing. “Sigh.” I opened my eyes and got up, deciding to put this out of my mind for the time being and just start the day.

I did all the morning routines: shower, brush hair and teeth, cook breakfast. By the time I was done it was 11:30 a.m. and I had to rush out the door to meet my business school friends. I hoped my good friend Callie would be there early so we could talk. She was always who I went to in college when I needed advice and comfort. The best way to find something perfect for Kama, my boyfriend of a year, is to get an outside opinion. I need to remain logical to get this right before it’s too late. 

I made it down the 3 flights of stairs leading to my apartment on the fourth floor, and rushed out from the lobby to my car, tipping my hat at the kind old woman behind the desk. I pulled my keys from my purse and hit the unlock button twice. The lights of my glut orange Audi S5 blinked and I got in, starting the engine immediately after putting my purse on the passenger seat. I turned on the radio, checked my mirrors, and buckled. Then off I went, the drive was about 20 minutes. I arrived about 5 minutes late, which was fine. Most don’t consider it late as long as you arrive within the first 30 minutes of the designated time. I walked into the restaurant that we had all chipped in to rent out, and went up to the boy lounging behind the front counter thing. He asked if I was here for the reunion and I nodded. He pointed me to the tables where we were mainly set up, I thanked him and made my way over. He seemed quite polite despite the young look he had.

Once I had arrived at the tables I set my purse with the others on an empty booth, and scoured the small, but growing, crowd for Callie. She was over at the bar, by herself, ordering drinks. I went over, dodging acquaintances, who were relentlessly greeting me. I smiled and nodded or waved, trying not to speak and inadvertently get caught in a conversation. After a short, but tiring trek to the other side of the room I was at the bar. Callie finished relaying an order to the bartender and turned to see who had appeared beside her. When she recognized me her face lit up and she brought me into a hug. I hugged her back as she exclaimed, “Sadan! I’m so glad you’re here. It feels like forever since I last saw you! I was so worried you wouldn’t come because of all the people, but of course you came!” I smiled honestly, as she released me. She knew me so well. “Hey, Cal. I’ve missed you too. It’s sad we don’t have the time to meet much anymore…” I trailed off. “Hey! Don’t get all sad on me!” She commanded lightheartedly, “Why don’t we go catch up at one of the empty tables?” I smiled again and nodded, thankful she wanted to talk too. 

So we made casual conversation as she waited for the drinks, telling me she had ordered one for me too in the hopes I would show up. Callie was truly kind and caring, her every action showed this, and I loved her for it. Eventually they came and, the always single, Callie thanked him with a tip and a wink. I chuckled as we turned and walked away. She smiled at me and stopped as we arrived at the table area. Then she asked where I wanted to sit and I shrugged. I was always more of a follow the crowd type, or at the very least quite relaxed, my opinion was often, ‘I don’t care.’ She picked a booth close to the door and in a corner, there were no windows nearby either. It was perfect for a nice talk, which is exactly what I needed. 

We sat down and began nursing our drinks. Callie had a dirty martini, I was sipping at red wine. After a few moments I worked up the courage to say something. “So, Cal, how have you been?” Cheerily she started recounting her week. It involved a lot of fun nights out on dates and boring days in the office. Callie worked at a dentist's office at the front desk. She mostly scheduled appointments, it was dull work, not much her style but her coworkers were kind and she made decent money. Her mood dropped slightly as she spoke of it, eventually making her stop talking and instead begin drinking. I smiled as she finished, “Sounds like quite the eventful life.” She nodded only half paying attention. “Well, um…” I trailed off realizing this wasn’t the right time. We sat in silence for a bit until Harry, an acquaintance of ours, came over to say hello. The 3 of us chatted for a bit, and when he left to join the group Callie’s mood had improved once again. “So, can I ask you something? Or more accurately, get some advice?” I said quickly and then hid behind my glass by taking a sip. She smiled knowingly, “Oh but of course. Whatever can I help you with?” I smiled too, “Well...It’s about Kama.” She nodded, paying worried attention now. “Christmas is coming up and I want to get him something meaningful, but...Well, as you know I’ve never had a long-term relationship before and…” I paused then at the same time as I released the breath I had been holding in, I said, “I don’t know what the hell I’m doing. Please help!” She laughed, hard. “That’s what this is about? Look, I can't tell you exactly what to get. If you want it to be meaningful it has to be something significant between the two of you.” I nodded, listening hard. “Oh, and remember just because it seems romantic to you doesn’t necessarily mean it will be to him. Actually maybe steer away from romance all together, just get him something he really wants.” Everything she said made sense. I was definitely thinking too hard about this. I thanked her profusely. Then we talked a little bit more about this and that. After about 20-25 minutes we rejoined the group.

By the time I left it was about 4 and I had to rush out. I had to make it to my bar, “Release” in time to make sure the shipment was right. God knows, if I don’t check it no one else will. I got there around quarter to 5 and practically ran to the door. It was unlocked, I sighed, why do my employees not follow the rules? I ripped the door open, locking it behind me, and made my way swiftly to the back. My bartender and some waitresses were in the employee room getting ready. I looked in and knocked, so everyone knew I was there. They turned to me and I said, “I’ll be back, and when I am we can speak, once again, about the obligations of employees at this establishment.” I looked each of them in the eye and then rushed away to the back door where we unloaded trucks.

Once that was done I went back to the break room and called everyone together for a meeting. I reprimanded them for leaving the door unlocked before we were open and gave a short thing about customer service. Once that was done I changed from my dress to a business skirt and a nice white, rufflely blouse with a black jacket. Keeping my black flats on. I checked in with the bartender making sure all was in order, and then went up to my office to work until we opened at 6.

When I checked the clock again it was 6:17 but I hadn’t gotten much done, my mind kept wandering off to gift ideas. I sighed, feeling distraught once again. Then it hit me. What was the one thing we always had in common? The one thing that made us connect immediately? The thing that would always give us something to talk about even when it was an awkward silence? I laughed, cackled even, with true, undeniable joy. I got up and rushed out of my office, down the hall, and to the restaurant area of my bar. I burst into the main room, going entirely unnoticed, and maneuvered through the ever-filling room. I got to the bar, and found Cassius, my bartender, chatting with some pretty, young girls. I came behind the bar and tried to get his attention but to no avail. Sigh, I thought, that ass and his one-night stands. I shook my head and then grabbed his shoulder irritably. He turned to me with that aggravating smirk. His eyes were filled with anger though, “I’m leaving, I’ll be back around 8 pm. Mind the place, if anything goes wrong, call me immediately.” I said to him in a low voice. He nodded and then turned away, apparently done with our conversation. 

I left in a hurry. For the rest of the next 2 hours I was checking stores, making calls, and looking at internet shops. I wanted to get it done as soon as possible, for 2 reasons. 1. I needed this completely finished and off my mind as soon as possible so I can move on. 2. I was just so happy, and excited I had finally gotten it, I didn't want to do anything else right now. 

Once I had found and ordered it I went back to work and was ecstatic for the rest of the day. Finally Thanksgiving passed, as did most of December until finally it was Christmas Eve. It was 5 pm and I had just finished getting ready to go spend the rest of the Evening with Kama. We were planning on meeting up tonight to spend time together and then tomorrow we would spend time with our separate families. Anyway as I waited for him to come pick me up I watched TV and tried to be calm. Eventually he got there though and all my fears melted away. He was my true love and I felt very confident in the book I had bought him. Our shared love was novels. We would talk about them day and night. We even had a very similar taste in the type. So I got him a limited edition version of our favorite series. There were only 10 of this kind printed before they switched to a different cover photo. When we arrived at his place and exchanged gifts, tears came to his eyes. I have never loved a gift that I gave to someone more than this one. This was THE gift and Kama was THE one.

November 27, 2021 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.