0 comments

American

In the great country of America there is an animal, that resembles the nation. This animal isn't any ordinary animal it is a bird. The national bird is known to be called Bald Eagle it was adopted as a symbol of the United States in 1782 and was chose for its majestic beauty, great strength, long life, and because it's native to North America. This bird has great instinct when it comes to survival. When it gets colder they migrate to the southern areas of the region to mate and have nesting grounds. They eat fish, insects, and other things along the waters where they live. And as all of the facts have been stated, it takes you to a place deep into the Alaska wilderness where you can find many other animal and creatures of such. Although there are many eagles alike each other there is one special eagle that shares a great story. His name Eddie the eagle but his friends and family call him Ed. Ed is a young eagle native to Alaska he enjoys the beauty of summer in Alaska where he can hunt and eat the native salmon in the beautiful rivers and lakes. But where the real story begins is when Ed wakes up on a beautiful Saturday morning with the beautiful blue sky out. Ed's mother and his mother had been dreading this day as on the Sunday right after that day they would start what they call the great migration. It is a sensitive time for them as his father Eddie Sr. had lost his life protecting young Ed and his mother from a flock of vultures. It is a treacherous and dangerous journey where many eagle families fall apart. The vultures skinny and weak wait to prey down on them as they take their young and old across the country to the warm winter nesting grounds. They have firm belief in a place the eagles go when the leave the earth from which they soared the sky's of. A place so beautiful and so green so peaceful and safe. This is the place they call "The last Kingdom". In this kingdom they say all of the kings from the past look down on them and protect them through the dangers of their journey. Ed and his mom are strong believers in this as all of their ancestors and Eds father have looked over them as they made the journey. Ed had dreaded the end of the beautiful Saturday but it had come time to sleep. He had been sleepless through out the night. When the sun was coming up he decided to get up and watch one last sunset. After the sun came up his mother had told Eddie it's time. They both stood together and then soared into the beautiful Alaska sky's. They soared through the rolling mountains and the open lakes, through the raging rivers into a different setting where is always so new. A place with odd objects and creatures humans everywhere. Driving around and polluting the sky where they roam. Shinning weird things in their eyes known as phones and cameras. They soar into a big yard full of beautiful green grass and a big white building and an odd flying object controlled by humans. A human man in a suit walking out and greeted by other humans. They roam past that and find a place slightly less scary. Just plains and fields around for almost ever. They see some odd machines that move so slow and that are so loud. Ed tries to move on but his mom says they should stay for the night. They find an old human structure lined with the material they nest in. Old and creaky they managed to sleep well and warm. They had journeyed out at first light. And had found themselves nearing another place infested with humans. This is where it's hard for them to fly as these big towers are shooting sulfur and smoke into the sky making them feel sick. They near the end of the hard flight when abruptly. A great gust of wind pushes them down leaving them tumbling down towards the streets. Ed manages to stay up and tries to grab his mother with his talons but misses and she tumbles towards the ground. She hits her right side hard and yelps in pain. Ed goes to see if she is okay and discovers that she injured her right wing and couldn't continue. So they find a place that smells of fresh greasy food and stayed inside. They knew they had to make up time for having to stay behind. And the winter freeze would catch them so they had to go early. When Ed woke he saw that his mother looked worse. But he knew there had to be a way to get through this. Ed had to fly holding his mother and they barely made it out of the city limits. They were losing hopes when the great kings of the past granted them with a truck that had chickens in the back like humans the chickens respect the eagles and the chickens allowed them to hide among the group until they get far enough. They were approaching vulture territory where the migration grounds are just on the other side safe from the deadly birds. They all braced as they ventured in. They saw vultures circling around and they knew what was about to come. So Ed decided to save his mother and flew out of the coop to distract the vultures. And had got run down close to the migrating lands. He had done his best to fight them off and asked the great gods of the past to give him strength and when he asked it was granted he had fought them off and made it in he met up with his mother and she was proud. He had accomplished the great migration. He had soon remembered the great treacherous journey as the greatest accomplishment of his life.

October 14, 2020 21:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.