0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

Despite incessant rain I was at the airport well in time to board the plane. But a delay was announced as the incoming flight which I was to board couldn’t land with the airfield being flooded. Passengers were told that free refreshments were on offer in the airport cafeteria. I went in, and carrying whatever was served, sat at a table which was free. The cafeteria was getting overcrowded and in a few moments another man had to join me at my table saying “Excuse me! May I sit here?” I nodded.

 He was a coloured man dressed in brown pants and yellow T-shirt. He smiled at me and asked “You taking   CX 400 too?”

I nodded.

He said “I’m Jim Oz from Kentucky and am here as a delegate to the conference of the historical society.”

I introduced myself. He had placed a large book on the table when he sat down and its title UNEARTHLY POWERS caught my eye. I could see it had been written by a Joe Fellix and had an attractive cover.

I asked Jim “I’m fond of reading. May I have a look at the book you have on the table?”

He said “Sure” and offered the book to me.

I looked at the blurb and saw a photograph of the author. He looked a black man with a beard. It said Fellix was a medical specialist but had retired on medical grounds and had turned author. This was his first book. The blurb said “Tellus is the name of earth’s twin planet some 800 years behind us but is evolving. The book chronicles the earth’s rococo world of Tellus and tells us about the two ruling clans Fez and Zep and the rivalry between them. The book has macabre plots, wicked and friendly witches, and sorcerers. The courtesan Vinsi is almost the heroine and her capacity to create rifts far exceeds her seductive powers causing rivalry. The hard drinking Zep chief secretly abducts Fez’s nubile sister and there is a search involving witchcraft. When it has been confirmed that it was Zep who had abducted her, the Fezzes prepare for battle. Vinsi seduces a top commander of the Zeps and gets to know about their weaknesses. Vinsi’s liaison with the commander reaches his wife who poisons her husband. The author has carefully written details of the social code, dress, food and conveyances and arms and armaments besides battle strategy of the time on Tellus. It is a book you would like to start reading again when you have finished. Oz has written in hallucinogenic prose which will satisfy even omnivorous readers.”

I thanked Jim and returned the book to him.

I asked “Does the book deliver all what the blurb says?”

Jim laughed and said “Yes. I bought this book since all contemporary books have almost the same themes. I was tired of whodunits and of ghost stories. Love stories and romances have almost the same theme. This book appealed to me. It is fantasy no doubt but Fellix has made Tellus a welcoming planet we all would like to be in. I’ve almost finished reading it and I found it is a prodigious narrative with imaginative energy and intelligence.”

I asked “It says Vinsi the courtesan is the heroine. Does she come alive?”

“Sure she does. The way she seduces the prince of the Fez is contained in a whole chapter. Her cunning, her craft to beat the Zeps makes thrilling reading. How she uses witchcraft to overcome hostile elements is also interesting. How Vinsi deals with a woman spy from Zepland is very interesting. She is a Fez and the Fezzes finally overcome the Zeps who are a formidable force.”

“How is the emotional landscape – I mean the lovers, the enemies the interceders? What about adventure?”

“The emotional landscape is quite fulfilling. There is a lot of adventure. A hunt is organised and there’re man animal fights. An enemy is made to succumb to witchcraft. Vinsi sets the tone for love making. There’re scenes with graphical details about men and women in bed. The witch acts as an interceder. She is also a medical specialist and diagnoses and supplies medicines to those who’re wounded or are ill. Their quaint practices to raise the libido also makes interesting reading. As a doctor himself Fellix writes convincingly on such matters,”

“What do you think attracts the reader to the book by Fellix?”

“The narrative, the plot, the locale. An uncontaminated earth with no overpopulation. It is primitive earth. Its resources haven’t been exploited.  People will visualise with almost nostalgia an unspoilt earth. Practices like witchcraft and sorcery also bring to mind old days.  One could imagine a witch barging through the chimney with a broom. Fellix has really created a world which most of us would like to visit,”

“$8 for a book is rather high.”

“The book has just been published and it is a hard cover edition. The cost is naturally high. The paperback I’m sure will be released soon which will be available at a reduced cost.”

“Even then the publisher is exploiting by high price for the book.”

“He has also to survive. These days for a novel to be a success it needs to be exploited on TV and movies. Again that is risky as the films could remain without audiences.”

“Do you think there would be a movie version of the book?”

“I think it has potential. First they have to find someone to write a screenplay version. It has to have lively dialogue and comic moments. I’m sure there’re many experienced screenplay writers with Hollywood.”

I said “Your book cover shows women with breasts exposed.”

Jim laughed and said “Fellix has described the men and women wearing clothes only waist down in that tropical area. Hollywood can get artistes to perform that way but it would have disapproval of women who are half of the viewers. Again the movie could be shot with women covered in sexy clothes. Producers have the talent and experience to do it. That won’t be a problem.”

“Do you recommend the book?”

“Undoubtedly, and whole- heartedly.”

At this moment i noticed one of my friends signalling to me to join him. I wished Jim goodbye and went to my friend. He was also waiting to board CX400 and I joined him.

After my return I asked about availability of the book. Amazon had it for $8 and even then the book would be sent only after 20 days of ordering. I decided to wait for release of the paper back of UNEARTHLY POWERS.

END

April 18, 2022 06:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.