0 comments

Mystery Fiction Drama

Let me set the scene. A drab day with a cloud covered sky. A light misty rain fills the air, the kind that makes any umbrella useless. The shifting winds push and pull the air back and forth making everything wet. There is no escaping the damp. A soggy weary traveler makes their way down the narrow street, desperately looking for shelter from the miserable weather. The towering brick walls of the surrounding buildings only exacerbate the rain every time it changes direction. 

They pull the collar of their coat up higher and tighter, to no avail. Their fedora pours off the collected rain with every tip of their head. A fierce gust attempts to steal the hat but it is quickly grabbed and forced tighter onto their head. As they round the next bend in the road, my fine establishment comes into view. The friendly inviting sign sways in the breeze, like it was beckoning the traveler. A faint glint of hope swelled as the traveler approaches. Is there room at the inn or must I continue this miserable journey?

Well, this where I step into the picture. They push open the large front door and hit the bell that hangs just above it. The jingle of the bell is my cue. I come out to the front desk with a smile to greet the customer. 

“Hello and welcome to the Red Door. My name is Matilda, how may I be of service.”

The traveler stands still for a moment, allowing the wet to pour off before they approach. They glance in my direction and then at the puddle surrounding them on the floor.

“No worries, we will have that cleaned up in a jiffy. I see you could use some dry clothes and a hot meal. Perhaps we can draw up a hot bath in one of our deluxe suites while you wait for your meal.”

With that, a beautiful smile appears on the traveler. I still haven’t got a good look at their face. They were being mysterious hiding behind that fedora, so tightly pulled down on their head. I waited patiently, on pins and needles, for the traveler to fully reveal themselves. Cautiously they approached the front desk revealing only their smile. Such firm perfectly shaped lips with a small glint of their pearly whites for accent. 

They grabbed their hat by the brim and pulled it free from their head. A flow of shoulder length jet black hair fell from beneath it. They locked eyes with me, holding me in their gaze with brilliant emerald green eyes. What an unexpected sight, I believe I may have gasped. I am usually very composed, but I couldn’t help myself. They unbuttoned the front of their coat, revealing a plunging neckline. Eyes, keep eye contact, ignore the weak knees. They leaned closer, I noticed the raised goosebumps on their skin, such perfect skin. The soft scent of their perfume lingered in the air, my mind and my eyes were beginning to wander again. They placed their palms on the front desk revealing their fire red painted nails. Long and accentuating each finger, again, perfect. Their voice was soothing with a touch of a husky tone, like those beautiful jazz singers when they seduce with their lyrics.

“Yes to everything.”

My, my, my. I think my heart skipped a beat. I adjusted my collar to let out a little heat. Is it warm in here or is it just me. Focus, stay focused. I have to be professional. I tried not to let my voice squeak or crack but it may have.

"The penthouse suite is available. I can have someone show you the room to make sure it’s to your liking.“

They replied, again with that voice.

"Yes, I want you to take me. There was the promise of a hot bath and a hot meal?"

I cleared my throat and tried to remain calm, were they flirting with me or is it just in my head. Snap out of it, keep your head clear. Register, right, register the customer, get a name! What is their name!!

"Elizabeth, Elizabeth Smith. You can register me under that name.“

What!?! Now they are a mind reader too??

"Hello? Are you okay?“ 

She placed her hands on mine, they were cold as ice. I snapped back to reality.

"Umm, yes. Right away. I will get today’s menu and show you to your room.“ 

I excused myself and hurried to the kitchen. I paused in kitchen to catch my breath. Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I spun around with a start. It was the chef, staring at me with a puzzled look.

"Are you ok Matilda? And what are you doing in my kitchen? Is there something wrong?“

Compose yourself Matilda. Don’t look weak, oh to hell with it. Just tell him. He will understand, won’t he?? You have known Mike, like, forever. You’ve seen him go wonky over customers, especially if they are a redhead. Don’t get me started. Last time was…. Oh right, explain, out loud.

"Well, you see Mike, we have an unexpected guest that just showed up out of the blue and I gave her the penthouse suite and offered her a hot meal and a hot bath. Promised to tend to all of her needs and…“

That last part was probably just me. Mike cut me off.

"A meal? You want me to cook after dinner hours for one guest? That is not to protocol and you know it. You made the rule. What’s gotten into you? "

I looked at the ground and then back at Mike, trying to be as cute as possible.

"Please Mike, pretty please?“

I batted my eyes at him and smiled to show off my dimples.

"Ok.“ said Mike "But you owe me big time for this one. And stop with that smile, you are making me uncomfortable.“

I grabbed Mike and gave him a big hug and kissed his bald head. He pushed me off of him.

"Enough already! I said yes. Here is today’s menu, now get outta my kitchen!“

I took the menu and backed up.

"Thank you Mike. Love you!“

I blew him a kiss.

"Ya, ya, love you too. Now get outta here.“

Mike shooed me away and I rushed back to the front desk. Elizabeth was waiting for me to escort her to her room. She looked as dreamy as ever. Very wet, but still dreamy. We talked all the way up to her room. She was in town for a big business meeting which got canceled. Then her taxi didn’t show up and the place closed so she was forced to walk. Which wasn’t bad until it started to rain. You know, that yucky rain. Anyway, she forgot her briefcase at the meeting place because they practically pushed her out the door and her luggage got lost on the flight. Such a string of bad luck until she ended up here. Funny how things work out. But now me and her can be the best of friends. 

Her real name is Elizabeth Mackenzie. I have been watching her for quite some time now, but she doesn’t know that. That will be our little secret. The internet is such a beautiful thing, bringing strangers together with just a few clicks of a mouse and some intense research. You can plan almost anything. 

Please excuse me now while I tend to our unexpected guest. Bye for now, I will keep you posted on how things turn out. Wink, wink.

March 08, 2024 05:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.