The Flower-Gold

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

"The gold is nothing to them." Camden Green told his children, but his eyes looked at the mini vase displayed near the window.

.....

The next day, Apple woke up so early. Cautiously walked without his family knowledge and grabbed his tiny hat, not-really big coat, and a mini sling bag. He walked carefully and slowly opened the gate. Just to make sure nobody saw him, he went hid over a huge oak tree near his house. For a few minutes scanning, he didn't see anybody. Then he ventured into the woods. Many huge trees and birdsongs can be heard. His eyes were glimpsed everything in his surroundings. Dark green grasses with colorful flowers were everywhere. Tall trees with heavy leaves, a variety of colorful flowers, and wild fruits engender a very pleasant smell. Sound of the waterfalls gives rise to the tranquility. Felt tired, Apple stopped at one big tree. He looked up and saw a beautiful orchid flower attached to it. So he sat and leaned against the tree. He took out his mini book and started to write. Whilst he was writing, he saw birds on the ground. Starred at those birds made his eyes blurred and unwitting fell asleep.

.....

Twigs were trodden and Apple awakens with sudden. "Is anybody there?" shouted Apple. Scanning swiftly the scene. No one answered, he quickly got up. He swiped his ass from the dirt and grass involve. As he was about to walk, he found something sparkles near the tall grass. Either Apple needs to walk real quick or gingerly at that time. Still standing but no action. As if his brain was freeze, where all the curiosity has gone? Or maybe he was distracted by the sound that made him conscious. Does someone follow him? Or watching him all the time? However, the sparkle seduced his mind and made him put aside his feelings. He ambled towards the sparkle and to be surprised it was a flower! His eyes as if been hypnotized the enchantress of the flower. It was the flower that been told. Apple found the flower! A flower with a gold leave. Four green Petals, it looks like a rose but not. Got five purple anthers and the stalk is a white transparent; a crystal looks like. Petals are green crystal but soft, and the stalk is hard. The leave is gold. How unique that flower is.

.......

Apple harvested the flower. Right after that, suddenly there were falling little stars. He shocked! When the little stars touched the ground it became green dust. Once again offshoots cracked sound. Apple quickly turned around. Maybe it was birds or any kind of animal. Perhaps falling wild fruits. He put the flower inside his sling bag and began to find a way home. A smile on his face whilst walking means a lot to him. It means happiness. He can bring the flower and shows it to his father and proudly admits that he found it. Found that rare and beautiful flower in the woods, alone. On his way to go home, he remembered the soil in the mini vase. What if it was the same thing, the soil? Hard and no one can destroy the solid of the soil. Again, curiosity attracted him to go back. While he walked to that place again he felt the strong wind at his left side as if something hit him and run. Fixing his hair, gently rubbed the eyes, and swiped all the dust that touched his clothes with sighed. He looked that way, where the wind came from, and he saw beautiful pavement leads to a beautiful mother nature.

.....

He headed to that way. Along the way, there are trees on both sides. The position of the trees is bent forward as if they are welcoming you. Many colorful flowers among the trees, they are so big. Not the same with other normal flowers. Perhaps Apple enters another world. Apple stopped a moment to think either to run to go home, or just venture the new path. But he wanted to know how the end of the road looks like. So he just walked and felt the wind again. But this time it was a tender wind. Tranquility whilst walking. After passed the bent trees, Apple found beautiful scenery. There is a pathway like a vehicle's road, both sides got short wooden fences which anyone can step on it. Fences are all the way long. There are mini flowers under both fences; purple and yellow. The land is covered by the bright green and tall trees are at the end of the scenery. Apple looked at the sky and it was a fine day. Even it was a beautiful place but Apple couldn't go any far. Felt like he began wandering too far. To have the flower is a trophy for him on his efforts and courage to find it. Mission completed. But still, for Apple, one thing hovered in the box of thoughts. What is so special about the flower? Is it a magic flower? Or perhaps it can be an amulet. "Ah, I can discover it later" Apple soliloquy.

.....

Apple was about to leave the beautiful location but suddenly, and not knowing from nowhere, a man appeared. "Hello there, what is your name?" asked the man. Apple shuddered and answered dither, "I... I... My name is.. I urmm.. I'm Apple, Apple Green." The man smirked, "like Green apple? by the way, I'm Margery. Margery Rhiamons" Apple chuckled. "What brings you here, little boy? You know, you are not supposed to be here," Margery told with earnest but friendly. "I know, I saw the pavement to lead here so I came after it. This place is awesome. I never see this kind of place," Apple answered with a beam. "So you came from that way?" Margery pointed to that bent trees pathway. Apple showed inclination with a beam. "You are sweet," said Margery. Before Apple continue the journey to way home, he stopped and asked Margery about a flower with a gold leave. Margery shocked a moment and wondered why the little boy asked about it. He was tried to find that flower too. His brother, Thatcher Rhiamon was dead. He was been poisoned. But by who? Margery insisted to have the investigation. But he wanted the flower so badly because it was the only chance to bring his brother back. "Did you found the flower, Apple?" asked Margery with a bizarre look. "Oh yeah, I found it into the woods, I want to bring this to my dad. Tell him that I found this beautiful flower and it's real," Apple answered whilst grabbed the flower inside his sling bag. "Very well," Margery replied. He wanted to tell Apple the truth. But he hadn't spoken yet, suddenly there was hail. Apple felt hurt and covered his head with his coat.

.....

Margery called Apple to stay for awhile not to carry on the journey. He snapped his finger and an umbrella becomes visible. "Woahh, it's magic!" Apple shouted with thrilled. An umbrella that normal humans cannot have. He is entering another world. They walked together until Apple felt he has entered another place. The location was changed. Which is, into another woods. Forest with humid weather. "Why are we here, Mar?.. sss..sir?" asked Apple quivered. "It's alright, you are safe here. I will send you back as soon as it has done. Trust me. Oh, just call me Margery, please" Margery smiled confidently. Into the woods where the flower has been found, there was a man tried to search the flower. Until he found the dust green which means someone, a human from that place took it first. Footprint evidently can be seen through the pavement that bridged to a different world. A proof that someone has entered that world. Eventually, the pavement between the magic world and Apple's world has been forgotten to conceal. That's how Apple found the pathway. To conceal it, Apple must go back to his world. As long as any human from another world enters the magic world, the pavement cannot be a cover-up. Otherwise, many people especially the peasants will discover the pathway. The magic world is a hidden place. Only those whose lucky found it even it is in term of unexpected way.

.....

He served Apple with hot chocolate and marshmallow. A story from Margery made Apple's curiosity about everything that happened. Thatcher Comivere was invited by his uncle and auntie; Gullvieg Rhiamons and his wife Evanora Grilmabinx to had dinner together a night before he died. Margery wasn't there because he went to see his friend, Annaximandrea Comivere. After he came back, he saw his brother slept with a mouth full of foam. He immediately brought to the Witchcraft Magic Herbs. Alas! he was dead already. Perhaps the magic flower can heal his brother. A night before Thatcher died, Evanora cooked and made a herbal soup, since he got flu at that time. She even served him wine. What they eat, Thatcher eats. But why Thatcher died that night. Evanora was known for her great herbal magic. Gullvieg sometimes disliked some of Thatcher's behavior that leads to being cold to each other. His uncle and auntie only want to talk about his late's land's father. Fighting over property is what Thatcher wants to steer clear of. But the unexpected situation has happened. Might be his uncle or his auntie killed him.

.....

The next day after the incident, in the morning, Annaximandrea tried to dismantling the occurrence. She went silently to spy Margery's house and next Margery's uncle's house. But suddenly, she heard twigs were trodden and she felt one's presence at the back, surprised! It was Evanora. "It was an accident, don't you think?" She asked with a smirk and fury eyes. "Ha.. ha.. hi, Mrs. Rhiamons. I just.. urmm.. passing by and have a look" she replied. "It is not an appropriate manner, young lady. Come, come with me, I show you the house, even closer" Evanora invited with a smile as if she got horns. Annaximandrea followed with a hope she could find something related to Thatcher's death. Whilst Evanora's head was turned around to examine whether there was anyone else in the woods. "Tea? Elderberry? or something else?" asked Evanora. "Plain water would be nice," replied Annaximandrea. That night Annaximandrea was unconscious. Firewoods almost stain. So Margery asked Apple to stay for awhile inside the house and he went to seek firewood. A bit longer because he wanted to go to the Witchcraft Magic Herbs and to meet tell Mr. Theron, a witch doctor. "I will give you the flower and please help me to convalesce my brother" Margery pleaded. However, Margery didn't give a chance to Mr. Theron to speak and made him fall silent with regrets. The flower couldn't help bring the dead soul.

.....

Apple looked outside and it suddenly snowing. Gingerly walked open the door, went out to the front yard, and his eyes were fascinated by the snow. He felt cold but still excited about the changing weather. He then went back to the house to retrieve the gloves. While waiting for Margery, he made a snowman. Then he found someone near the bush. "Margery?" asked Apple. The man approached him and introduce himself. The seen magic world pavement it was his doing. Athelstan Comivere, Annaximandrea's brother. He's the one who went to Apple's world to find the flower. Mission was the same as Margery's. He wants the flower. His sister needs the flower to make her awaken. Not a kiss from a prince charming. "How do you know I was here," asked Apple. "I saw through the map. My magic map," said Athelstan. Footprints and location can be seen inside the map if that person in the magic world. Outside of it, only the location can be tracked. That's how Athelstan knows the existence of the flower. Apple took out the flower from his sling bag to shows to Athelstan. He didn't want to hand the flower because Margery found him first. Margery on his way to his home but found elf. Elf told Margery everything he saw. He swiftly back home and found Athelstan tried to persuade Apple.

.....

Athelstan shocked Margery came too soon. "What are you doing here? We can talk about it, Athelstan. We can make a great healing herb. Your sister is my best friend as well," Margery tried to convince him. Athelstan replied shouted whilst grabbed Apple and pointed his wand to him, "No! Your brother is dead. He was been poisoned. A great poison that leads to death. He drank the tea which in his ought can make him more energetic, poor Thatcher. Now he is gone. No power can convalesce him even the flower." Margery shocked and said, "How do you know that?" Margery laughed, "You are so naive. When Annaximandrea told me that it must be your auntie poisoned your brother because of some of his bad attitude, I laughed so hard, I felt in the herculean position. Thatcher got everything, many people admire him. This world was lived by judgemental creatures. Respecting over wealthy people only. But my sister is dumb like you. I warned her not to interfere, told her to do not to investigate it. So the day I followed her to spy on your uncle's house, I was planned to cursed her in the woods, but your sweet auntie, whatever (his eyes scrolled up), found her first. And I had to hide. I gave her to drink the Nicotropa and Precatorius plants, mixed with her tea before she goes to sleep that night. Alas! a stubborn creature. I don't need her. Let her die slowly." He continued, "I got no money to pay respect but! but that flower allowed me to gain greater power where no one could defeat it when everyone is bowing to me." Margery's anger began to swell. He shot the window by using his magic wand on Apple's head and Athelstan leaned on the floor to cover his head. Apple rushed to hide under the table. Then Margery and Athelstan began their magic wand battle.

.....

The elf came near Apple. The elf as a guardian of the flower - he was there when Apple sleep to keep the Flower-Gold safe. But elf was not good to move in silence - Elf then chopped the leave-gold by using a special glove. Those who lived in the magic world can not directly touch the leaf gold. It is a poison for them. The leaf gold is nothing to them. He gave to Apple the leaf. But Apple is brilliant. Apple sliced off a bit the golden leaf. Whilst The two men were fighting, Apple got up and took the mug on the table. He put the cut off gold leaf into a mug then brought it under the table. The plan was wanted to give Margery to splash at Athelstan. But Athelstan slipped off against the firewoods by the magic wand of Margery. Gasping for breathing, he asked Margery to stop and wanted to drink. Herbal plants were inside his coat and snatched the mug from Apple's hand. He took out the herbs and pour on the mug. He drank it. Margery didn't want to kill him. Soon after Athelstan stood up he shot Margery immediately with his magic wand until he fell and torture him. Athelstan with sudden, can't breathe. His eyes turned to red and her ears were melting down while he looked at Apple. His teeth one by one pulled out with sudden. The heart stopped beating, he crashed on the floor and his eyes were exploded. Apple's eyes were wide open to witness the occurrence and Margery was thrilled by the effect of the leaf gold, the elf as well. Apple gave the flower to Margery. "I'm sorry Apple that you have to go through this all. I wasn't expected this all, I thought things could be settled properly," Margery sighed with regret. But Apple smiled and said, "It's okay, now you can fix what is broken." But Margery cried and said, "I cannot bring my brother back." Apple gave his handkerchief and replied, "Don't cry, you still have me and elf." Margery giggled whilst took the handkerchief and Apple's smile wins his heart. "As I promised, I will send you home. Now, you can tell your dad you found the flower and it is real," said Margery with a smile. "And found friends, you and elf," Apple replied with chuckled. He continued, "What's the name of this flower, Margery?" "It's Cryhxstalique-Gold" replied Margery whilst he hugged him.

.....

Offshoot cracked sound made Apple awaken. "Is that you, Elf? Margery?" asked Apple. No one answered. Put his book inside his sling bag and got up. Apple felt like he was dreaming. So he went to the place which the flower exists. He found out that the green dust became a flower. Many new tiny flowers are everywhere. But there was one flower that looks like the Flower-Gold just only the flower is not a crystal and does not have leaf gold. He grabbed the flower along with the hard soil. The handkerchief, he tried to find inside his sling bag but he couldn't find. But he found the leaf gold that has been cut off. That's the moment he realized that he was not dreaming. "It's real! I know it's real." He shouted excited. He told his family everything about his adventure into the woods. Annaximandrea Comivere was healed by the magic flower. And Thatcher corpse was burnt and the dust was thrown into the river. Jealousy is a disease which it can kill itself.

…..

"I remember him. Camden Green" said elf whilst he watched Apple from afar safely arrived at home.


~The end~



April 17, 2020 16:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.