1 comment

Contemporary

Kelly Alaniz

#254

Gaining perspective

7/30/21

CELL PHONES

In today's world of electronic devices cellphones are a must and most people own one.

As a matter of fact, I have owned several. Each one had its own unique capabilities, as well as, a personality just for that extra special touch. 

Have you ever noticed any personal quirks about your cell phone?  God knows I have given my phone the benefit of the doubt. After all the phones of today are said to be "smart phones" right?

In addition, these phones are mini computers when hooked up to the internet. One can pick any subject to research, or directions to wherever one wants to go, and even find long lost friends and relatives. You can also set a smart phone up to spy on others.

Pretty creative I think. However there are a few little glitches that cause a major aggravation and it has caused the death of many cell phones.

Im talking about those cell phones that seem to be too smart, too dumb, or just plain posessed.

You know the ones I'm talking about. They get a mind of their own and the only cure is a wake up call.

By that I mean a little knock on the head, maybe a kiss up against a wall or a quick slam on the pavement. I know it usually straightens my smart phone up. A sort of attitude adjustment you might call it.

I have tried my best not to be abusive to my celly. I have tried to be understanding. I have even taken the blame for many mistakes. Until I came to the conclusion that cellphones are NOT here to be helpful or to be our friend whatsoever.

But, since this is only my opinion from my personal experience in all fairness I will let my cell phone speak for itself. 

Hopefully I will be able to better understand a different point of view.

Hello cell phone users! I am Julie's cell phone and I am here today to shed some light on the nature and capabilities of my fellow cell phones. Hopefully, this seminar will clear up any misunderstandings, rampant rumours, irritations, and aggravations you may have experienced in your partnerships with your personal cell phones.

As Julie stated earlier we are indeed mini computers. As such, we possess many special attributes and capabilities

 Most of these are at your fingertips instantly or seconds at the most. Most information that we get requests for are provided to you in many formats, as well as multiple choice, for your convenience.

While it is true that there are other devices that can provide the same information plus many other special features, they are not always pocket friendly meaning some devices are too big or cumbersome to just tuck into a pocket or purse. This is a great inconvenience for you.

However, because we cell phones receive multiple complaints and some pretty harsh abuse from our partners I would like to break down our side of the story to once and for all help dispel any misunderstandings between us.

In regards to errors that occur from time to time, it is not always our fault. Sometimes there are misspellings typed in or the wrong word or phrase is put in. In addition, we try to be as intuitive as possible in providing specific and correct information upon request.  A cell phone can only act upon whatever information it receives from you.

Yes in-deed, we try to provide you with answers as quickly and precisely as possible. By doing so we appear to give you extra help by suggesting certain words that we think will help in your quest. This is a specialized feature we provide for your convenience but is usually misunderstood as an aggravation and then followed by anger and frustration  on your part.

This often results in verbal or physical abuse that we, your cell phone, has to endure and still function to the best of our abilities.

Another aggravation occurs when the internet either freezes or goes out in the middle of a presentation or in general. Again, we take the brunt of your anger.

This is not warranted by any means as cell phones do not control the internet, we merely provide that service for your convenience. 

Another complaint that we receive is that we lost or deleted your important papers or information as well as photos.

Now, in all fairness, we do as we are told through your voice commands, typed in directives, and downloaded apps you have installed through public entities that we offer for your convenience.

Let's talk about numbers and symbols next.  These also cause complaints when not used correctly. No disrespect intended but, it would appear that many cell phone partners either flunked their English courses in college or just did not pay attention when it comes to punctuation. And let's face it, when it comes to numbers math is difficult for a lot of people. That is no one's fault. Yet, we suffer the consequences when we provide the wrong information. Cell phones can only operate on the information that has been input by their partners.

Regarding important files and photos.

How to create a file can be a mystery for some of you. There are specific steps you have to use for files. Then yoy have to choose where to store it. Retrieving them also appears to be difficult for some of you as knowing or remembering where you stored these items can be confusing for a lot of people.

Don't feel bad, you are not alone. However, throwing your cell phone against the wall is uncalled for. Slamming us on the concrete is not helpful to our components as it has a tendency to confuse us too.

I personally know of an instance where a partner became so out of control with frustration regarding their smart phone he threw it in a lake drowning it. This is a bit radical and not a requirement for our maximum operations.

Hopefully this information is helpful in understanding the partnership between you and your cell phone.

I will turn this seminar over to Julie to close . Thank you for coming.

Hello, Julie here,  thank you all for coming tonight. I have learned some valuable information regarding my cell phone. I certainly gained a different viewpoint and will be making my own attitude adjustments.

Good night.

July 31, 2021 03:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tricia Shulist
12:16 Aug 07, 2021

Thank you. Interesting perspective.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.