2 comments

Fiction Drama

A knight stands poised to charge forward under the vigilant eyes of the king. Next to him, the regal queen, resplendent with her majestic crown commands both attention and respect. The crisp autumn air hangs heavy with anticipation. The sound of measured breaths reverberates throughout punctuating the stillness of this momentous event. There is no room for errors as the fate of two unstoppable opponents relies on this one final battle. 

I snap awake from my medieval daydream when a stage assistant nudges me as my name is being called. I walk alone hesitantly under the soft glow of modern chandeliers in the spacious, and newly built, Chess Hall in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia. The room is filled with anticipation as the spectators from all around the world applaud moderately to this newcomer on the world stage. Under the spotlight, I appear to be a young middle schooler who has just been called over by the principal. I try to shake off the feeling, bow politely to the crowd, and stand to wait for the legendary, and my personal hero, Grandmaster Alexander Gaeni. I don’t have to wait long as the crowd roars in applause this time and I can’t help but applaud myself as he walks confidently towards the stage. I take a step and shake his hand more vigorously than I anticipated. He smiles and winks at me and we both take our seats as a hushed silence falls over the spectators. 

As the announcer begins I glance up at the elegant and intricate tapestries, depicting famous chess matches throughout history, adding to the sense of reverence and prestige surrounding the game. I look down at our table which is crafted from the finest, polished rosewood, adorned with a meticulously arranged chessboard, featuring perfectly aligned squares of charcoal black and crystal white. The chessboard gleams under the gentle glow of overhead spotlights, every square and piece shining with a mesmerizing allure. The chess pieces, carved from exquisite ivory and ebony, beckon to be moved, each one representing a unique strategy. Yet, amidst the glory and the magic of this moment, a pang of loneliness gnaws at me. I grasp the chair, feeling the warm and polished wood beneath my fingers. 

The game begins quickly and as we both move our armies meticulously I can’t help but notice the little reserved smile forming on the corner of Alexander’s lips while his eyes never waver from the board. I've clawed my way through this championship, but now, facing the Grandmaster, doubt creeps in. I force my mind, buzzing with calculations and possibilities to keep its focus. As the game unfolds, each deliberate move is met with an audible gasp or murmur from the audience. I watch my hand hover and linger in the air for a suspended moment above the board before making a decisive move. 

His response is an unexpected move. Is it a subtle trap, or a grave mistake?  The tension in the room is palpable; spectators lean in, holding their breath. The seconds tick away, and the weight of the decision crushes my chest. Sweat beads run down my forehead as I study the chessboard, the pieces frozen in a high-stakes dance. Across from me Alexander with his piercing gaze fixed on the board, an unreadable mask.  No way did he make that mistake. My mind goes in frantic mode trying to find a trap but there is none.  It can’t be. There has to be a trap. But I couldn’t find any. While my time dwindles, my temptation rises. 

My hand hovers over my queen, poised to take advantage of Alexander’s mistake. The risk gnaws at my rationality, but the tantalizing prospect of outsmarting the chess maestro tempts me. A move could turn the tide, or it could plunge me into a fatal trap, costing me the championship.

His eyes lock onto mine, a silent challenge. The chess pieces become more than carved wood; they're pawns in a psychological duel. Every heartbeat echoes in my ears as I grapple with the choice. A historic win hangs in the balance, a shimmering mirage just out of reach. The audience's murmurs intensify, amplifying the pressure. I recall the countless hours spent analyzing Alexander's games, searching for a weakness. It is all about the mind games. Every alarm in my head is sounding not to fall for Alexander’s bait. Don’t give in to the temptation. 

My mind races through variations, weighing the consequences again and again. Time blurs and I glimpse victory or defeat with each potential move. Doubt festers, but so does the intoxicating allure of triumph over a chess titan. Is this the moment? Did I catch him off guard? Is it another cunning ruse by the maestro? The questions race in my mind along with the time. Each second I spend thinking, analyzing, hesitating, and trying to rationalize my move devours the time I have left.   

Fuck it, I did not come here by being cautious. I fought tooth and nail to be in this spot. Everyone doubted me at every step. Everyone thought with every win that it would be my last. I cannot keep second-guessing myself to death. Even if this is a mistake, I don’t have anything to prove to anyone. I made it to the World Championship Final in Russia, sitting a few inches away from my own hero. This is my moment damn it! With a deep breath, I commit to the gamble, the pieces clicking into place. Alexander's eyes widen. Did I catch him off guard, or have I walked into his trap? The pendulum of fate swings, and the chessboard transforms into a battlefield where every move echoes with the resonance of a critical choice.

As the pieces settle into their new positions, I lock eyes with Alexander once more. The suspense lingers, a silent storm brewing between us. The championship hangs in limbo, the outcome a mystery wrapped in the enigma of the next move. Alexander finally makes a move and I am dumbfounded by its pure brilliance. The master has fooled me. A sinking feeling settles in the pit of my stomach. My blunder unfolds and I watch in horror as each piece on the board turns to mock my misstep. My once-promising position has unraveled into a web of impending defeat. With a heavy heart, I watch as my Knights falter and the king succumbs to his merciless death. 

November 29, 2023 05:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

J. I. MumfoRD
11:40 Dec 08, 2023

Ambitious, that’s a hard milieu to write. A set before the ivory ban sets the board before the 90s. I’m imagining a Dubrovnik set.

Reply

Miller George
03:58 Dec 09, 2023

Thank you, I will take that as a compliment. I like your attention to detail. They use the company Pentagram for the chess sets but I was imagining something more "old school" because it was an old Grandmaster vs. a debutant.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.