0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

I am male and work as a software architect in a multinational company. I commute by the 7AM metro to my office. At that hour the train is very crowded. Getting in I usually see a young woman seated as she would board from an earlier station. Something about her caught my fancy and I would look to see her every day. She would usually be dressed in grey pants with a white shirt and a coat sometimes. I had usually seen her with large earrings reaching almost up to neck and I felt it added to her attraction. I hadn’t seen any other jewellery on her. May be she had a chain around her neck but it was invisible. Only the bracelet on her wrist watch would be conspicuous as it was very showy. Another thing I noticed about her was her handbag with the international brand name prominently displayed on it. I knew if I were a woman I would have chosen that bag. I only knew she worked for the same company I worked for but had never made her acquaintance. One day the train was overfull and I was hanging on to a strap near her. As I got off I heard her say to me “Perhaps you dropped this. I picked it up from the floor.” She handed me a key bunch.

I said “That isn’t mine. But give it to me and I’ll hand it over to the security at my convenience.”

That was our first contact and I got to know Vic. She worked in a building opposite where my office stood.. From that day we became friends and would walk together from the train the short distance to where our work stations stood.

That day I said “You’ve a very nice hand bag. Very eye catching.”

She laughed and said “Last year I had gone to Grenoble in France on work for 3 weeks.. From there I visited my friend in Geneva who is settled there. She presented me this bag. I was quite surprised when I learnt its cost. Very high!”

“Its styling is extraordinary and is very, very eye catching.”

We now knew each other well. One day she didn’t show up in the 7 AM metro. The next day she said “Yesterday I was late as my grandparents had come on a visit to....”

I said “You haven’t finished.”

She said “It was for my birthday party.”

I said “I’m a little late but wish you many happy returns of the day.”

She said “Thanks.”

“How many candles did the cake hold?”

She laughed and said “It should’ve held 26 but so many weren’t lit!”

I said “I was joking. I’m 2 years elder to you.”

As I write I should describe the lady. She was almost as tall as me an inch short of 6 feet. She was very fair and slim and I would say she was a nice looker. Let me also tell you about me. I am also slim and fair and though my hairline is receding I am considered handsome.  A week later I suggested to Vic that we meet for either lunch or dinner at a restaurant to celebrate her birthday. She agreed. I said “I have my car and can pick you up.”

“It’s unnecessary. We also have a car and will drive down.”

 That Sunday we were at the Hotel Zephyr for lunch. She had come in a nice knee length skirt with a flowered top.

Seeing her I said “I couldn’t recognise you as you look so transformed away from those pants and coats you wear to office.  To me you look like a film star.“

She said “You’re flattering me.”

“It’s the truth.”

“This dress was chosen by my grandma and she also gave me this bracelet set with gemstones.”

“I must ask who did the coiffure as it’s also very fetching.”

She laughed and said “It was done in a boutique which I visited this morning. It’s for women only and you can’t visit! But they told me a certain superstar does visit that boutique for her needs.”

She had her hair swept back in curls with one lock behind her left eye and I thought she looked ravishing. As we ate I said “I’m going to Geneva next month to attend a meeting. Will be away three days.”

She said “Gee! It would be great if I could also join you.”

“Why not? You could accompany me.”

She took out her phone and spoke. Then she said “I can also join you. I can stay with my friend who is settled there. I can stay a week.”

I said “But I’ve to be back. I’ve only 2 days free after the meeting.”

We spent a while talking in the restaurant. She was intelligent and spoke with a sense of humour while I stayed a listener mostly. Days passed and the date to travel to Geneva arrived. She was ready and we landed in Switzerland. Vic’s friend Grace was there at the airport and I was introduced.  Grace invited me also to join for dinner at her home and I agreed.

The meeting was over and I was free. The next day Vic joined me and we decided to travel on a cable car across the lake. I had done it before but this time I looked to it to be alone with Vic high in the sky and may be propose to her over the lake. The cable car set off and made its way steadily but suddenly the cable snapped and our car went crashing down. I suddenly woke up to find my better half Mavis sitting up beside me.

She said “Did you have some kind of nightmare? You suddenly shouted incoherently and I got up.”

I was silent and she said “You look dazed. It’s only 2 in the morning. You can go back to sleep as you start work only at 9. Or would you prefer my getting you something cold to drink before you sleep again?”

I said “Mavis, sorry I woke you up. You lie back and sleep.”  I went to the bathroom and was back when I saw Mavis snoring softly. What I have said about Vic is all true except that I alone went to Geneva for th meeting. Vic didn’t join. It was all imagination. To complete my story I’ve to say that shortly after my return from Geneva I joined another firm in another geographical location and left. I maintained contact with Vic for a while. Then she announced her wedding to a medical specialist living in Chicago. I felt I had lost an opportunity to propose to Vic. I couldn’t attend her wedding but promised to visit her in Chicago if I were to be in America.

All that had happened when I was about 28. Now I’m 40 and married to Mavis. We have two children. My memories of the past are very heavy and linger long. I am true to Mavis but am unable to forget Vic. The memory of Vic will vanish only when my memory ends!

END

 

March 14, 2022 01:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.