1 comment

Fiction Historical Fiction

I remember like it was yesterday. The memories of that horrible day does not fade with each passing day, the memories get stronger.

I maybe old, but my memory is youthful. I can still hear the planes. I can still smell the smoke. I can still hear the explosions. I can still hear the screams of the dying.

Things like that never fade. Memories like those never fade. Yes, there are times when I wish to forget, but every time I see or hear a plane flying, I am reminded of that day.

Remembering and honoring those who lost their lives is easy, but the tears always show up and that's okay because it makes me feel better and because I know they are watching from heaven smiling at us and the new generation of heroes knowing we are doing right by them.

I've been married to my wife for 80 years, the day we met is forever engrained in my memory.

80 years ago, is a day my generation will never forget, much like 9/11 is a day this generation will never forget, both are forever engrained in our memories.

I was a sailor 20 stationed on the Arizona when Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.

On that morning December 7th 1941 I woke up with a severe headache. I remember telling one of my dear friends I was heading to the medical building.

I remember the time I left the Arizona, 7:45 am. The walk to the medical building takes exactly ten minutes.

When I reached the building the first explosion happened. I turned around and saw the Arizona burning.

I thought to myself that it was just a mechanical problem, but then I saw planes flying over Pearl Harbor. On the side of the plane was a red dot and I immediately knew it was the Japanese.

I looked on in disbelief, stunned. I couldn't move my legs. My whole body was shaking. My heart beating faster and faster with every explosion.

Then I remember who I was. I'm a sailor for the United States Navy. My country is under attack. I have friends on board the Arizona.

The Japanese fighters were everywhere, but that didn't stop me. I ran back to the Arizona. Along the way I had to duck and cover and saved lives.

When I saw no more planes in my area I ran as fast as my legs can go, back to the Arizona. I stopped when I got to Battleship Row.

This is the hardest part to remember. Every time I try to remember what happened on Battleship Row it breaks my heart.

The scene at Battleship Row is one I wish never to remember, but I do because its part of me and part of history.

When I got to Battleship row it was utter chaos. Sailors on the water being gunned down by the Japanese fighters call Zeros.

In the chaos of death, I looked for the Arizona and to my horror I saw the Arizona over turned, its propellers sticking out.

I wanted to go to the Arizona. I tired with all my power to go, but the planes over head stopped me.

I thought of my friends who were still sleeping when the attack began. God rest their souls.

I didn't know what to do. My beloved ship was gone. My friends were gone. What could I do know?

Then a thought came to me. The doctors and nurses might need help. So, I walked to the medical building.

As I walked to the medical building, I began to hear planes coming my way. I ran for cover and hid behind a parked jeep.

The Japanese Zeros began shooting mercilessly. I covered myself. The Zero kept coming my way shooting. I went under the jeep for more cover.

I heard a sound coming from next to me.I looked over and saw the most beautiful woman.

We looked into each others eyes. Her green eyes were captivating. She grabbed my hand and held it tightly.

When it was clear to leave, I got out first then I helped her. She smiled and thanked me.

I introduced myself as Leo. She introduced herself as Evelyn.

Evelyn was a Navy nurse. I remember her telling me she was asleep when the attack began.

She awoke to noises all around her. One of Evelyn's friends told her what was happening. Evelyn didn't believe it until she saw the explosions. Evelyn told the other nurses to head for the medical building. Evelyn began to shake as she was telling me what happened next.

Japanese fighters were everywhere. Evelyn and the nurses began to run and were separate as the bullets rained all over them.

That's when I found Evelyn hiding under the jeep.

I hugged Evelyn and I remember telling her we have to go. I grabbed Evelyn's hand and we ran to the medical building. When we go their chaos was everywhere.

The dead and dying were everywhere. Japanese fighters were still bombing Pearl Harbor.

Evelyn grabbed my hand and asked if I wanted to help. I said yes. I followed Evelyn inside.

Evelyn is a kind caring soul. She knew how to clam the dying. I watched in awe. My eyes were glued on Evelyn and when the time came for me to help Evelyn with the sick and dying I did it without reservation.

I spent most of my time at the medical building watching for the Japanese. Some came and bombed the building.

One came too close for comfort. I grabbed Evelyn and covered her with my body. Some of the glass went into my back. Evelyn took them out and gave me a clean bill of health.

Those hours during and after the attack I spent in the medical building is something, well there are no words to begin to explain what I saw.

Evelyn, the nurses and doctors are the true heroes. They saved a lot of lives even when all hope was lost.

When the attack was over, I stayed in the medical building helping with the wounded and moving the dead.

I looked everywhere to see if I could find my friends. No one ever made it out of the Arizona.

I remember Evelyn telling me to go to Battleship Row to help in the search for survivors. I went and the scene I saw was like a horror movie.

I found a row boat and went out into the water. The dead were all over the water.

I stopped rowing the boat and sat their crying, then I mustered up enough courage to continue until I reached my beloved ship.

The Arizona was overturned. My ship, my home for the last two years was gone.

On top of the Arizona I saw people with welding machines trying desperately to cut open sections of the Arizona.

Sadly, there was no hope. My friends were trapped. They all perished.

I will never forget the sounds of help coming from inside the Arizona. They are forever engrained in my memory.

The Pearl Harbor attack, a date which will live in infamy woke this country up to loss and betrayal.

Our innocence was lost in that terrible day. I was young. We were all young and yet we grew up fast.

There was a bright spot in the mist of tragedy. I found my soulmate. The one person I would spend 80 amazing beautiful years with. The one who gave me three amazing kids. My Evelyn.

Pearl Harbor was a beautiful place to be. The magnificent ships were a wonder to look at.

I will always remember Pearl Harbor as a gem and not the way it is now.

I remember.

April 06, 2022 19:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Liliana Nealon
15:50 Apr 16, 2022

Incredible, gripping story. Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.