0 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult

This story contains sensitive content

(TW: Slight mention of harassment) Beep beep beep beep. She’d slam her hand onto her alarm clock, nearly breaking it instead of shutting it off. 

“Jesus…” Soli would brush her hand back with her hand. She would get up, immediately going to turn on her coffee maker. 

“Oh come ON!” She’d groan as she noticed her coffee machine leaking water out of the side.

“I already hate today.” Soli muttered under her breath, walking over to her bathroom to get ready. As she hummed a melody under her breath, Soli combed her hair back into a military-style bun. 

“I better get tips today-” A large cracking sound would be heard. 

“What the hell was that?” She’d take her hairbrush away from her head, noticing the broken back to her brush. Soli would release an angry sigh, setting it down and running back to her usual routine, pulling out her toothbrush and applying toothpaste. 

“I’m gonna be so late now..” She’d run across her apartment, ignoring her downstairs neighbor knocking on her floor with a broom. 

“Gotta go gotta go!..” She would grab her bag, sprinting out the door to the stairs. 

“Sorry Mr. Clarkson!” Soli would yell to her neighbor whilst jumping down a pair of stairs. 

She would push the door out of her way, running down the sidewalk to her job blocks away. 

“I’m gonna cry if I get fired, can’t deal with any of this crap today..” Soli would yank the door open to her work, winded. 

“Heya Soli!” Her coworker waved, peeking out of his office cubicle. 

“Hello Caleb!” She’d wave quickly, rushing to her desk as she saw her boss start to come around the corner. Soli exhaled slowly, pulling out her laptop and opening it. 

“Get to work Ms.Hathaway.” Her boss would look over to her whilst she typed in her passcode.

“Yes Mr. Schmitt!” Soli would nod, opening the calendar app. 

“Hey Soli.” One of her co-workers would lean back in his chair. 

“Yeah?” She would turn, raising an eyebrow. 

“Can you print some of these papers for me? By the way, the start button is a green button that says ‘start’. You know how to spell that, right?” He would say in a slightly mocking tone. “Need me to show you?” 

“No, thanks. I’ll get right on it.” Soli ignored his heckling comment.

“Thanks doll.” The man would lean back into his computer.

Soli groaned, rubbing in between her eyebrows. These old men are so stupid nowadays with their old timey thinking…yeesh.  Soli got out of her chair, heading to the printer.

“Broken? Aw come on.” She pouted slightly, walking quickly back to her cubicle.

“Had a problem finding the button doll?” The co-worker would lean back, grinning condescendingly. 

“No, the printer is actually broken for your information sir.” She’d grab her notepad, clicking her pen on. 

“Are you going for a coffee run? I’ll take my usual, thank you doll.” The coworker looked back to his computer, beginning to work again. 

“Uh-well..fine.” Soli sighed, writing down his order. “Anyone else need anything?” She yelled out, waiting for the swarm of coffee orders. 

“I’ll take a nitro!” A voice called from across the room. 

“Black coffee, per usual!”

“Espresso please!” 

“Iced Caramel Macchiato with the toasted vanilla instead of the regular vanilla, extra caramel drizzle and-” 

“Oh shut up John.” The coworker from before yelled out.

“I’m out.” Soli clicked off her pen, walking out the door. I hate old men..live, laugh and love leaving that place each day. 

The bell on the door to the store rang as Soli entered the bustling cafe. “Hey guys..” Soli waved her hand softly.

“Hey Soli! How’s the office doing today?” The barista shook the coffee shaker, smiling. 

“Well, obviously being oblivious to the fact that women have rights.” Soli hooded her eyes, speaking in an annoyed tone. 

“Yeesh, don’t you say that everytime you come here?” 

“Yeah, it’s fine at this point, August. They won’t ever accept the fact. Here’s the list.” She handed August the piece of paper with the coffee orders. 

“I see John changed his order.”

“No, he just got cut off, and I didn’t feel like writing the rest of it.” Soli walked over to the order-receiving counter, leaning back onto it. 

“So, are you free later?” August looked at the long list then to Soli. 

“What? Oh no, sorry. I have my other job right after this one.” She brushed her hair back stressfully. “Gotta pay them bills, and pay for Nala’s cat food…inflation has spiked these brands off the charts, it’s absurd!” 

“Mhm…right. Well, let me know when you’re free. I’d love to hang out sometime, maybe not in a coffee shop?” August smiled awkwardly, finishing up the order. “You sure you don’t need help carrying these? It is a lot...” He looked at the coffees and then her.

“I’m fine, used to it at this point. Old men like their coffee I guess.” She shrugged, picking up the trays. “See you later!” 

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My feet hurt so bad…why can’t I just work one job?  Soli thought to herself, running to the bar for her next shift. She took out her hairband, shaking her hair out. Back to work I see.

“What can I getcha?” Soli held her notepad, jogging over to a table. 

“I’ll have a beer, thanks.” A familiar voice spoke, snapping Soli back to reality. Is that my boss? Soli exclaimed inside her head.

“And for you miss?” She smiled, writing down the orders.

“Oh, just a margarita.” The woman inside the man's arms smiled. 

“Right. I’ll be right back with those!” Soli walked away slowly, processing what just happened. Holy mother of- A tight hand grabbed her shoulder, turning her around. 

“Listen little girl, you cannot tell anybody about this alright? My wife would kill me.” Soli turned to see her boss towering over her. 

“Hm? Well…maybe.” She went from a puzzled expression to a smirk. “Under one circumstance..or two.” 

“What? I’ll do anything so my wife doesn't find out!”

“Give me a raise, and let me get to work any time I want.” Soli’s eyes narrowed.

“Right, right. Just you can’t tell ANYONE.” 

“Sure. Now get your hand off of me please.” She pushed it off her shoulder, walking away. 

Soli sighed, leaning against the wall in the backroom.  Finally, a break… A knock at the door scared her. 

“What the hell do you- oh hey August?” She smiled, pushing her hair back. 

“Hey, I didn’t know you worked at the bar! Anyways-I was wondering if you want to join my friends and I for a little break?” 

“Yeah…I can’t. I still have fifteen minutes till my break. Sorry.” Soli tried walking away. 

“Fifteen minutes isn’t that much! Come on, join us.” August put a hand in front of her.

“Well..okay.”

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ugh..” Soli woke up, rubbing her head.  I slept in? Oh right, it doesn’t matter what time I get to work. She smiled, taking her time getting ready for work. She stepped out the apartment complex entrance, walking to her job.

“Heya doll.” She was greeted ignorantly. 

“Hey doll.” She’d say in an extremely mocking tone.

“Woah, calm down. What’s got little Miss Priss in such a bad mood?”

“What has you in such a good mood?  What did you do-harass another girl?” Soli raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms. Audible gasps were heard across the room, along with quiet laughs. “That’s what I thought, you old crusty man.” She narrowed her eyes as the room burst into laughter. 

“I-I see you’re in a mood today, periods?” The room went silent.

“You are such a-” Soli backhanded him across the face, leaving a bright red mark. “Now go complain you rat.” She watched the man stumble out of his chair, running to the boss's office.

“Boss- I, Soli just slapped me!” He stuttered in awe.

“Not my problem man.” The boss took a sip of his coffee, legs crossed on the table. 

July 21, 2023 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.