0 comments

Coming of Age Teens & Young Adult Friendship

The crowd streamed around her. The cries of people attempting to sell homemade, sustainable goods were drowned out by viewers' kind “thank you!”s as they saw the prices. Stopping at each booth, she came to the realization that she probably wouldn’t be buying anything at the craft fair today. That’s ok. She was happy to be spending her Saturday outdoors.

“I’m gonna go stand towards the outer edges!” James, her boyfriend, was never one for crowds. She waved as he walked away.

Chunky jewelry, hair clips, holographic mugs. As much as she hated to admit it, she followed the crowd in moving towards the trendier items. James would be so disappointed. He had a knack for choosing things that stood out. She never understood how her boyfriend had a better sense of style, but at least she could ask him for his opinion on clothing. She did get a chance to look at booths with a more unique taste, but that was mainly because people walk so slowly. 

She reached the end of the aisle and looked around for James. 

“Kristin!” she turned to see him waving his hand in the air. As she walked over to him, his eyes looked elsewhere. “I think that’s your friend.” He tilted his head in the other direction so as not to gain attention. She looked over.

“Oh my God–Emily!” 

A woman looked up from the table she was sitting behind. Her eyes searched the crowd, landing on Kristin. She brightened with recognition and jumped up. “Kristin!” Emily ran over to greet one of her oldest friends.

They hesitated just for a moment, not knowing how to address each other. Awkwardness conceded to affection, and they embraced.

“I’m in town working my booth just for the day–I was just thinking that you’re the type to come to one of these! How long has it been?” Emily asked.

“8 years maybe? The last time I saw you, you were dancing on a table trying to steal a bottle from the Jessie’s girlfriend.” 

The memory stirred something in both of them. Eight years ago was a lifetime. 

Eight years ago, Emily had just broken up with her high school boyfriend. 

At eighteen, she was independent, almost to a fault. Her parents were too strict, and she was too rebellious. Her sister had recently dropped out of school, so Emily thought that anything she did was mild compared to her. Spending her days as an outcast in her household helped Emily thrive in the senior social scene. For the first time, change was wrapping its tendrils around young minds. Fear, confusion, and angst manifested itself into rebellion—right where Emily thrived. 

She had stood up on the table to announce that her boyfriend was a liar. 

Emily laughed. “God, I don’t remember that, and I don’t think it’s because it was 8 years ago. How are you? How have you been?”

Eight years ago, Kristin was desperately trying to get Emily down from a table. 

Kristin’s high school years began quietly. She joined the water polo team because her sister did. She didn’t stand out, but no one had a bad thing to say about her. She did well enough in school that her parents didn’t ask too many questions. It wouldn’t have mattered if they did. Her free time was innocent. Practice, midnight premieres, the local diner. She wrapped herself in intimacy, breathing in closeness and exhaling affection. Emily was a stone thrown into Kristin’s pond. She pushed Kristin out of her comfort zone, introducing her to the feeling of a challenge. 

Kristin was pulling her friend’s sleeve, not wanting her to burn any bridges. 

Kristin paused. “You know what? I’ve been good. Really good. How’s New York?”

Time had tumbled forward. Kristin and Emily Facetimed once a week for the first few months in college. They agreed to once every other week when Kristin met James, and then to once a month when Emily started her internship at a fashion magazine. They planned a visit, but it got pushed back when Kristin received an acceptance letter to a research program in Sao Paulo. Months blurred into each other. A start-up offered Emily a full-time job in New York. She dropped out to pursue it. Facetimes got shorter, texts further apart. They were busy building lives they were proud of. 

Emily smiled. “New York is great. I’m starting my own line at the company I’ve been working for–I’m actually here to promote it! My fiancé over there is actually wearing one of my pieces. Dillon! Say hi!”

She turned toward the table where Emily had been sitting. A man looked up from the booth and waved. He was wearing a black pocket tee that matched his black jeans. The shirt landed on him well, making him feel approachable despite the lack of color. She noticed the pocket had the outline of a cat in white.  

After eight years, the images they had of each other were cemented in memories. Kristin had seen photos of Dillon, but the person standing before her seemed different. While affection still grasped the both of them, Kristin hesitated before saying anything.

Emily looked at her. “Are you still working for that architectural firm? What was it called?”

Kristin turned to face Emily. “That’s amazing, and I love the cat logo–very Emily. But yeah, KDR? I left less than a year after I started. Turns out I hate architecture. I’m finally putting my French minor to good use though! I’m working at a middle school on the South side.” 

Emily laughed. “Wow, you made that decision quick. Who would’ve thought that you’d be bossing around twelve-year-olds?” 

Kristin smiled. She hated the corporate world. In college, people gravitated towards her naturally affectionate persona. Acquaintances became friends, and Kristin began playing larger and larger roles in the lives that touched her. She had always done well in school, but the ability to ask questions–both simple and complex–granted her opportunities that wouldn’t have come otherwise. The four years at school were not always easy. But, when her boyfriend of two years broke up with her, the club water polo team took her on a bar crawl that ended at the pub where he was once kicked out. The next year, she was voted captain. Her success generated a tenacity that complimented her warmth, and KDR was the perfect step towards something bigger. 

The global architectural firm tugged on this determination, transforming it into something akin to ruthlessness. Kristin’s initial kindness was met with cordiality. While people recognized her authenticity, they couldn’t break free from the motions in which they had trapped themselves. The area manager pushed the office to engage with one another, but those that responded brought something to prove. After eight months of slowly painting a mask on herself, Kristin quit. 

“It’s funny you say that. I felt like I would’ve been bossing people around had I stayed there. Also, quick decisions? Look at you all wifed up!”

Emily’s eyes softened as she shifted her gaze toward Dillon. “What can I say? He checked all the boxes.”

The past few years, social media had shown Kristin flashes of her friend. She realized this had been the case for Emily too. 

Had she changed as much as Emily?

Emily looked up. “Have you been able to look at many of the booths? I tried yesterday but didn’t get the chance. People walk so slowly!”

“That’s funny–I was just thinking that,” she responded as James walked up behind her.  

“Listen, I’ll let you go. I should get back to the table, but I’ll be back for Christmas! We should hang out again.”

Kristin nodded “Easily. It was great seeing you–and I’ll see you again soon!”

They embraced one last time. Emily walked back to the table. Kristin turned to face James. She took a deep breath. 

“You’re gonna hate me, but let’s go back down the aisle. I want to see that hair clip again.”

December 02, 2022 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.