0 comments

General

Harry was situated on the couch, his happy baby arms waving back and forth.  His parents were dancing to Christmas music nearby. They couldn’t bear to leave their new baby alone for more than a couple of minutes.  The fierce love of these two had formed this perfect child, and the fierce hatred that their best friend felt for his parents formed their determination to be good.  To be kind, and to never give Harry a moment's doubt of their love.  

As Harry was looking around the room his eyes caught on the window.  His eyes widened and he made a sound of wonder and delight. When his parents didn’t come immediately to help him get to the window, he started squawking.  James rushed over, trying to understand why his child was complaining at seemingly nothing. Maybe he was simply very much like James. Lily came into the room and Harry pointed to the window and pouted.  Lily smiled. She picked up her baby in her arms and took him to the window. With a silent gesture, Lily told James to grab the camera.  

Harry’s whole face lit up as he looked outside.  His eyes and mouth went wide. The snow was falling heavily and steadily.  If it kept up like this it would bury the little town in the frosty powder.  Harry’s eyes tried to follow specific snowflakes, which ended with him looking around frantically.  But happily, oh so happy. As James captured picture after picture of Harry’s perfect face, Harry kept squawking.  Harry put his hands to the window, trying desperately to get closer to the magic outside.  

Lily pulled Harry away from the window.  He protested loudly, but she didn’t stop dressing him in a thick jacket, slippers, hat, and gloves.  Lily managed to get Harry outside just before he burst into doleful tears. As the cold air hit him, Harry closed his eyes and whimpered.  But then he opened his eyes and had nothing to say. He was, put simply, completely stunned. James came up behind Lily and put his arms around her.  Jame’s eyes weren’t on the wonder of the snow. He’d seen snow before, and while it remained a beautiful sight, his wife was a more wondrous one. 

They stood like that, Lily holding Harry and James holding them both until the rest of the family finally showed up.  

Peter was slumped, his eyes stressed and fearful.  Remus was tired and worn. Sirius’s eyes seemed haunted, his gait slow and distracted.  The war had an effect on them all. But once they were in the light of the Potter’s home, all the pain and fear seemed to melt off.  

The collected snow of the day quieted the town.  People usually bustled to and fro. It was a popular place for wizards and Muggles alike.  But now there wasn’t anyone in the streets. It might have seemed eerie if it weren’t for the company they were in.  These five had always been able to live in a world quite separate from that of their physical surroundings.  

Sirius went straight to Harry, holding out his arms to hold him.  Harry reached for Sirius as well, but,

“Sirius I’m not handing over my baby while standing over the snow.” 

“Oh come on Lily, he loves the snow! He’s never been in the snow before!” 

She gave him that look that all of them knew.  He made his face of fake disgruntlement. 

“I promise not to drop him!!”  His face earnest and pleading. Lily shook her head and handed Harry to Remus instead.  Sirius’s mouth opened in indignation. Lily smiled cheerfully. 

“Come on, let’s go inside.  Presents, remember?” 

It was enough to make Sirius move, even if he was still pouting slightly.  Remus held Harry out in the cold for a moment longer, enjoying the pure joy on the baby’s face.  He thought about what a cruel world he’d been born into. How dark a place he lived in, how cold and terrible.  If only they could make the world better for him. Then Remus followed his friends into the little cottage.  

They had a huge dinner.  It was only the second Christmas dinner that Lily had ever made, and the turkey was burnt a bit.  But everyone forgot about it all when she pulled out the eggnog and pudding. She was notably good at brewing sweet stuff.  

Sleepy and lazy happiness ensued.  They were all at peace. Surrounded by the people they loved most in the whole world, they could even forget that there was a war on.  It helped that there weren’t any people outside. No noises or talking, or bright brilliant green lights coming from thin pieces of wood.  

Harry watched his family.  They were all family to him.  Though more than half of them weren’t related to him in any way, it was like he had five parents.  And Sirius had proved that blood doesn't define family ties, hadn't he?  

Harry loved opening his presents.  Ripping the paper off of boxes and stuffed animals.  Shredding the messy present from Sirius. Sucking on, before finally opening the box from Remus.  Sitting on the present from Peter, which turned out to be far more sweets than Lily thought proper.  His parents gave him a toy bird that actually flew.  

And just as Harry found joy in his first unwrapping, his family could look at nothing else.  True, it was Harry’s first Christmas, but it was also as if it was their first Christmas again.  Everything was better with a baby in the house.  Everything was messier of course, but that was worth it.  All of them knew magic. All of them had gotten good grades.  But this magic wasn’t something that they could cast with a wand.  The magic of baby watching and Christmas time and quiet towns on snowy days.  

James watched his friends.  His adopted family. Harry was still trying, clumsily to open his presents.  James watched his best friend Sirius. He was usually so loud and jovial. James wondered what could be making him quiet and pensive.  It was probably something about his brother. James looked at his wife. It still made his head spin that he was married to Lily.  Lily Evans, well, Potter now, he reminded himself proudly.  James looked at Remus. Remus, whose condition was most wearing in this war.  It was so good for Remus to be sitting in the quiet of a winter day, watching Harry and knowing that he would survive another day.  Peter was sitting on the floor next to the window. James thought about how little he knew about how Peter was handling the war. James looked at his son.  His son. It was so sweet, just thinking that over and over. His son. His son.  

Sirius watched his godson.  He knew that he probably wouldn’t be having any kids anytime soon, but it was like he had a kid.  He could be a father-figure to this sweet child, couldn’t he? Or had his parents messed him up to badly?  True, the quiet snow and the happiness of Harry’s first Christmas made it seem like there wasn’t anything going wrong in the world.  But he had already messed up. He had let his little brother… he hadn’t stopped him… And then memories came back to him. Quite unbidden.  He remembered sitting like this next to Regulus. Regulus had been Harry’s age, and Sirius was only two years older. And he was happy. Sirius remembered that his parents hadn’t started hating him yet, they still gave him dozens of presents and he still was allowed to play with his cousins.  They had laughed together. They were as untainted and carefree as Harry was. Regulus had been Harry’s age. Sirius had already failed once. It was only a year ago. Sirius wasn’t sure, in that moment if he could do it. He wasn’t sure if he could be a good godfather. But then Remus came and started running his hands through Sirius’s hair like he always did when Sirius felt defeated.  And he knew that he would be alright.  

Remus watched Harry laughing so happily and innocently.  It was one of the most beautiful sights that he’d ever seen.  Remus knew that he wouldn’t have any children. He didn’t want them growing up the way that he did.  Remus tried to block out memories of Christmases ruined by his condition. It didn’t work, but for once he didn’t feel the pain of it.  Somehow the presence of such an innocent soul as Harry had had a healing effect on Remus. It didn’t seem real on such a quiet, peaceful, happy winter day like this, that a war could exist.  That monsters were real. And for once in his life, Remus let himself believe that those things were a product of his imagination. He let himself believe that nothing else existed in the world besides this.  He would survive another day.  

Lily watched her baby.  He made her so happy. She still felt like a kid, but now she was in complete charge of another being’s welfare.  She watched James watching Harry. She loved him so much. His smile at their son, his hand in hers. It was all her dreams, and it was real.  She thought about how much she missed her sister. Petunia, Petunia’s husband, and her son should be here. But Petunia didn’t like her anymore.  Perhaps deep down she still loved Lily, but it must be incredibly deep. Lily missed her sister. But she was also glad that she had James, Harry, Sirius, Remus, and Peter.  She sure was lucky, she thought to herself. Oh, how lucky she was to have them all.  

Harry loved each of his parental figures.  He had no idea, looking into their eyes, how much pain had come in their lives.  He didn’t know what a pillar of light he was in their lives. He had no idea what a terrible world he’d been born into.  But he did know that they loved him.


They could all die any day.  There were risks to being alive right now.  This could be their last Christmas. It could be the last time they ever sat together watching Harry.  Just watching. Just existing. Just being happy.  

They’d had so few times to just be happy.  And maybe this would be the last time.  

They were determined to make the most of it.  

The whole town silent.  Living in their own world.  Harry’s first Christmas. What could be more perfect?  Dancing to Celestina Warbeck is what. Everyone found a partner, Peter, and Harry sitting on the couch.  And they danced the night away. 


"On a cool winter breeze, we'll sail over trees

Glistening with flakes of white

And what could be rich, is if we bewitch

Some snow and start a snowball fight

We'll glide right along, singing a song

And even if our lips turn blue

Not a thing could compare to floating on air

In a witch and wizard's wintry wondrous land with you


Stroll down the streets, eating holiday treats

Taking in enchanted sights

As night leads today, see the stunning display

Of glowing fairy Christmas lights

I'm under your spell, and it's clear to tell

That baby, you're under mine too

I'm yours heart and soul, as I take a stroll

In a witch and wizard's wintry wondrous land with you


As we approach December, falling leaves give way to snow

But as long as we're together, the weather can put on a show

'Cause we'll be safe and warm beneath the mistletoe


Wherever we roam, we're sure to head home

When our Christmas hearts are full

After some luck, we will not get struck

By an everlasting icicle

I'm under your spell, and it's clear to tell

That baby, you're under mine too

I'm yours heart and soul, as I take a stroll

In a witch and wizard's wintry wondrous land with you (I'm strolling here with you)

I'm yours heart and soul, as I take a stroll

In a witch and wizard's wintry wondrous land with you"


-Celestina Warbeck

(JK Rowling)



January 11, 2020 02:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.