Teacher Laura

Written in response to: Write a story about an unconventional teacher.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship High School Inspirational

Teacher Laura’s personality? She was indifferent, tough but kind. Everything about her was like a mix, she seemed withdrawn but very articulate and detailed while teaching.

I had just changed to Dominion high school as the tuition fee in my formal school; Victory high school went up and my parents couldn’t afford it.

My new classmates rallied around me that early morning, especially my best friend; Andromeda. We were best of friends at  my formal school; Victory high school before she left three years back. 

‘’Here she comes, our English teacher”’ Andromeda whispered to my ears

‘’Good morning students!’’

‘’Good morning Teacher Laura’’ the whole class chorused

‘’You! Are you our new student?’’ she asked pointing at me

I smiled nodding my head

‘’Are you crippled or did your parents fail to teach you that you should always stand to reply to your elders?’’ she yelled

‘’I’m sorry Ma’’ I quivered standing up immediately

‘’You will stand till the end of this class’’ She said and proceeded with her teaching.

I stood till the end of the class staring at the tall, dark and slim teacher in her early forties… 

Right from that day, Teacher Laura became a nightmare. I was always the one who answered all the questions in the class and took the harder assignment home.

I couldn’t believe I left my former school to a new school where a teacher would despise me this much.

‘’’Report her to the school authorities so they sack her. You are not the  one that made her remain single without children at 43. That teacher is so mean, that was how she was smiling when one of our classmates passed on. I hate her!’’ Andromeda advised me on many occasions I cried my eyes out because I was literally frustrated.

It was two days to our school marathon exercise and Teacher Laura was not in school. I found myself thinking about her.

Two days passed and we had our marathon exercise, yet Teacher Laura was not in school. I became really worried. The few people I asked why Teacher Laura was not in school gave me unconcerned faces.

Six days on, I was in the play room at school with Andromeda when I saw Teacher Laura pass, I ran in excitement and jumped on her, hugging her tightly. I really did miss her.

‘’Good…. Good morning Ma!’’ I greeted.

She nodded and lightly pushed me off.

From that day onwards, Teacher Laura became one of my favorite persons. I would always wait for her after school hours and we would both trek to the school bus stop and board commercial buses to our different destinations. 

She would never speak to me but I could see her looking out for me. She would wait for me to board the bus first and point me to a more comfortable seat. 

End of the session came and I came 3rd in my class….. I couldn’t even believe my good grades but I knew I read well to impress Teacher Laura. 

‘’I came third in my class’’ I giggled as I showed Teacher Laura my result.

‘’You tried but the person that took first position doesn’t have two heads. Be happy you did well but strive to always do better’’  She said 

‘’ I promise to take the first position next session, I promise’’ I smiled broadly

She held my hands and we strolled to the school canteen.

‘’I grew up in an abusive home. My parents were always fighting and physically abusing each other. It messed up my head to the point that I ran away from home when I was 14. I met a young guy then through a friend, he was four years older than myself but was already working and lived alone. I moved in with him and we started a relationship.. 

I loved him so much and did everything I could to make sure he was happy but that love was never reciprocated. He abused me, insulted me at the slightest provocation and made me feel I was nothing without him. I left him after four years, rented a small space where I started staying, got working and went back to school. I don’t know what love is. I don’t think anyone has shown me love before but one thing I’ve really learnt from life is that you can always survive amidst any situation once you are strong. So! Be strong! It will help you deal with life better’’

I wiped off the tears that were already rolling down my cheeks and gave Teacher Laura a long hug.  The story made me understand why she had an awkward personality.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the beginning of a new session and I got to school that day in good spirits. I couldn’t wait to see Teacher Laura and gist her about the Princess vacation I got from my parents as an only child. I knew she wouldn’t say a word to me while listening, she would only shrug and nod but her company alone meant so much to me.

My classmates wore shocked faces as I entered our class room. I felt it was because I  had earlier boasted to them that I would not be coming back for the session but rather, returning to my formal school because of Teacher Laura’s unkindness to me. 

Andromeda ran and hugged me as I sat on my seat ...............’’ The world is truly not our own! The Principal just informed us that we will be having a new English teacher as Teacher Laura passed on from lung cancer two days ago. I know she was tough but she was really a great teacher’’

That moment, I was numb. I wished it was another teacher, not my favorite. I couldn’t believe that I would never get to see Teacher Laura again. My heart was broken. I kept thinking about her. I kept thinking about what she would have gone through before she passed on.. I blamed myself for not showing her enough love when I could still see her. I blamed myself for not hugging her enough and telling her I loved her so much. Days turned into weeks and then months and I finally realized that I would never see my Teacher Laura again.

It’s been ten years now and I still miss Teacher Laura. I wish she was still here so I could adopt her to be my second Mum and buy her one of the finest houses in a big city. I wish I could show her what love truly is. I still remember how she looks, the ways she shrugs and the way she pretends not to care. Most especially, our last conversation has never left my head for a minute.. ‘’Be strong!’’ I remember this everyday and it sure has kept me and will keep me going no matter what life brings my way.

Rest on, Teacher Laura!

May 17, 2023 22:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.