0 comments

Fiction Happy Romance

Two things mortal beings have in common- life and sleep. And if you really dig deep into the concept, whether it's spiritual or philosophical The origin is the same start to finish. It's an endless cycle, a circle that can't stop time and I bloom within it so does the rest of the living. It takes years in the making, but nobody really notices. I don't have eyes, hands, or legs like rabbits or wolves, neither can I move like the earthworm or birds, instead I wake up slowly climbing from the ground which the sleeping fertilizes. Here I am, new again and feeling the chill wind breezes gently, upon my sensitive stems and petals, along with that breeze, the clouds seems to carry a stronger sun pack, Since it's warmer and at times it pours heavily and the world can be cold, but the sky finally thaws the frostbitten flesh caused by winter- it's Springs purpose. Spring is know for being the apex of life, highlight it as this season will cherish renewing and generating the old, sick and even restore cleaning habits that the Earth does involve composting the decomposed and enriching the soil where new seeds will sprout.   

So far it's my sixteenth spring. I've got a different body from the previous that I don't miss. Because it's always the same. I don't change into a different person. And yes I've given birth to a daughter, but that daughter becomes me and I've got no reason to explain this, not even to him- the Prince of Winter, Tou White. He's the son of the other two seasons, known as Queen Red Falling, in charge of managing Autumn, and King Gold Sumter, responsible for upholding Summer. And he has a sister, who is managing this season, Everlyn Green. Spring, Summer and Fall will take time to pass, but as long as I can keep waiting, I know that I'll see him again. This time I want to request something outlandish, but it can only happen if he understands what's going on. At the end of every year, I can't have him looking at me, not realizing what I feel each year, it gets more and more painful living with unreciprocated love. The only thing I don't like about Winter, is that the prince will see me at my worst, however, I fell for him, because despite what I or how others looked, he placed his tender fingers and blessed us with our needed sleep. He allowed drowsiness to sink down ultimately leave us to lie undisturbed. On a few occasions, before I could meet him, at times I may be attacked by other creatures, who like to munch on flowers like me, but whenever they come close [yes I can without having ears] they all back off quickly and I never knew why.

I'll wait for you my prince. For now, I can enjoy Spring for all it's got- blatant greenery, chilly dirt, and popping colors of spring flowers unlike mine, I'm a Snowdrop- just white. Yet I fell hard for someone who can't hold me long enough to last. But that's okay- since I've had sixteen memories of it all happening the same way. You putting me to sleep and I never say anything but watch you. As I was dozing off, deep into thought, I see from my peripheral, Princess Everlyn stopping and sitting down next to me, "Your highness," I try to curtsey to which she chuckles. "It's okay. No need for formality, just call me Everlyn." "Okay, Everlyn, what brings you here?" I ask her. 

"You truly are one strange flower." 

"How s-ss-so?" I asked nervously. 

"It's just that I've always notice how often you are distant from the other flowers, looking away, not always shining, especially in this season and my father's. However, I heard word, that you shine brightest during the Winter when my brother arrives." 

I nervously chuckle, "I'm sorry, I-" Before I could finish, Everlyn places her palm to my face, "No can do with your lying, as you know the Royal seasons can feel everything and it's useless. You like him don't you?" She asks but I kept my silence, embarrassed to face her and admit the truth. 

"You're not saying anything, but judging from your quivering roots and hunched bent, I think it's best to say that you do. Interesting..." 

"What?" 

"Now that I know, maybe should I change your form to help you out?" 

"Change my form? Is that even possible?' I asked the princess. "Yes, in fact, if you want to meet him for longer periods of time, you can change into a form that will last longer."  

"I- I don't know. I've always able to meet him like this. What's wrong with things being like this?" I asked her, but she simply nods her head, "You're problems won't get solved from just hiding and denying the truth. You like my brother and wanted him to notice you too. Unlike other flowers, who generally disliked my mother and brother for their 'brutal nature' and invitation of death- you happily accept this process as a part of life." 

"Well, before I make such a hasty request, I need more time... especially with him," 

"Sixteen springs, each time you sleep, you'll only go as far as you can reach, so please reconsider, if not this Spring then the next one," she bobs her head to the side, wondering if I'll agree to her proposition, but I don't want to make a promise. 

"We'll see." I say and by that time Everlyn went off and played around.  

In the end, I'll have to hope that I'll last long enough to tell him straight. 

Throughout Summer, I endured through blistering heat and the sun seems to beam stronger, even causing my petals to turn brownish earlier, however, King Sumter kept me and other hydrated as possible. Allowing for a little bit of drizzle since he doesn't like pouring rain or snow. 

I wonder what would he do with his son, but he just passed by and I prepared myself for meeting Queen Falling.  

Honestly fall is an underrated season. People don't appreciate much of it as they are carried away by the Winter bliss, so am I but for a different reason.  

Queen Falling genuinely cared for me, even more so than I expected. "Your highness," I bowed my head down, but all she did was say "Head up child," despite knowing her touch will weaken my system, she didn't come to close and remained a good distance away. 

"I know. And I've always known that you've had feelings for my son." 

I looked away, ashamed that maybe they whole family knows and I just haven't gotten caught up yet. I wonder if he knows... but it seems like he wouldn't. 

"I've always noticed my son coming back home earlier and upset. I never understood why until I say you." She looked at me, with sad eyes, as though she's expressing disdain and pity and I couldn't help but feel guilty and selfish with my desire to be with a royal season, who had done enough to sustain our lives. 

I'm selfish for even wanting to be closer to him. 

"It's not like what you think. I want my son to find someone, and for years he's been in isolation, even with the work we have around the world, my family and I have been busy for these past years, that we've even decided for our children that they should have someone that can stand by their side. As a season." 

And I'm just a flower. I can never be besides the prince I've admired and cherished. 

"And there is a way for you to become one." 

Really? Can I become a royal season?  

"For this I need you to do the impossible... I don't know if you can." 

"I lived for sixteen years of my life as a flower, others expect it to be joyful and full of happiness, and as much as others don't notice, there were struggling moments where I faced hardship and nothing but danger lurking out in the corner, so much so that I've learned to accept it." 

"Well in order for me to give you a pass, I want to know how you will manage as a human?" 

"A human?" I asked confused, as I know humans from a distance and saw their weird tradition of talking, breathing, at times even spitting at us- humans are gross. Much gross compared to the dirt I stand on. 

"I don't know... be a human?" 

"Or do you wanna stay here in the dark and let him go off not knowing how you feel?" 

I relaxed, and stood straight, facing myself confidently towards her voice, "I'm okay with this. Being a flower taught me so much about life, how little I have to cherish, and I will come back like a phoenix to see him. So this wait doesn't matter. Even if it takes centuries or if he's with someone else, these feelings won't simply waver."  

"My little snowdrop, don't droop yourself more than usual, just please consider this?" She smiles sincerely at me and as much as I don't want to I nod my head and I feel her shadow coming closer and her touch warning me I don't have much time to tell him. 

Winter comes and I feel at my weakest, yet I try to muster strength knowing the fact he'll be coming. 

He's here. He's in front of me. I feel it. His cold shadow and he feels unapproachable and more distant. 

"You are weaker this time." I finally hear his voice. "I should put you to sleep sooner." 

But something in me squealed, "waaait!" I yelled and I feel him move back, keeping safe distance from me, and listened to me. His breath is surprisingly warm despite his cold exterior. 

"I want to say something first," I kept my face down and didn't even want him to look at how scared I am. I'm afraid of saying this truth. Yet I took a deep breath in, straighten my hunched back, and  

"At first, I admired you from a distance. I always see you out there, helping plants like me to sleep, and I appreciated you helping us..." I pause and he goes, "I get it. Tell me what you actually want." 

"I wanna say, that I couldn't help it, but I felt something more over time." 

"Like what?" He teased and I stayed still, silent for a moment, before coughing up, "I like you!" I finally said and with that I believed it's the end for me. 

Before anything else, I felt a bright light and everything was white, and I feel myself move. 

Wait? I can move! I look.. Wait I also have sight?! I look at my body and I see no leaves, no steam, no hint of my petals. 

I see a new type of flesh on me, not green or white, but pale pink, and I see that I have two sets of appendages that I can move around, and I saw my breath, I felt it dissipate the warmth disappearing too soon. And I have new sense to take in air and filter what's in it. It's weird indeed. And my flesh feels softer, but it doesn't break as easily when I move around. 

Another thing, is I don't see petals, but I see black straight cobwebs drawn to the side. It's also smooth and soft too, but my body shakes in this weather. Before I could say more, the Prince of Winter clothed in me in human fabric, which had a different softness than I expected.  

"What?" I reply. 

"You've finally said it. And I also feel for you too. But for us to be together for real, I need you to live a year as a human. It's necessary if we needed to stay by together." I see him and I felt entranced by his presence. He looked unlike what I thought, he had warm brown eyes, pale skin that looks sickening after being in the cold for so long, and he also had jet black raven hair that was neatly trimmed on the front, similar to how grasses rest and the rest grew out longer and nestled on the crook of his back stem. 

"But-" I object, but he holds a finger up to my face, touching a sensitive bud that rests on my face, and he goes, "You can. You're the only one. And I want you by my side for much longer and I want to stop myself from putting you to sleep each time. I want to hold you for much longer. Don't you feel the same?" 

I hesitate. I couldn't believe it, in fact I was overwhelmed when he mentioned that he had those feelings for me too. 

"Sure. I'll do it. I'll do anything for you, my prince." 

"Please just call me Tou." 

A year passes exactly. Living as a human has its luxuries however with those privileges so are their disadvantages. One difficult one was the idea of having a special name with a given meaning and honestly I had no clue what to pick. Everlyn gave me suggestions so did the Queen, however, Tou said, "Nora Luche," and I just went with it. I thought it would be easier in the wild to just die and regrow again, happy for much longer, even if the seasons would bore me, I had peace when I was a flower.  

I don't know why Queen Falling wanted me to be a human in the first place before, but what I know is that I learned new things. I wasn't exactly perfect, not like the angel like they say but then there are angels that are darker than what's depicted. 

I've worked as a florist, running my business selling flowers to customers, and it took a while to get used to the concept of money and how it works to make you live, but apparently you can use this paper to get your living things. And I felt grateful. 

Now don't get me started on human diet. I felt grossed out for the most part to not only be a cannibal [like I ate plants] but also the fact that I could other creatures. 

Nevermind, I'll have to stay vegan if I want to stay sane. 

My favorite snack being honey and crackers as that's the only thing I feel comfortable eating. Honestly, bees work hard to give us purpose in making the world beautiful. With more flowers and honey always equal to a more loving world to cherish. 

And I'm glad I'm a florist called Nora Luche and what I discovered as a human woman is that you have to be careful with love. There are situations where I have been overwhelmed since I didn't know what most of it meant and it was too much as some human men would come too close and make me feel afraid, but they'll eventually run away, almost as if they're terrified of me.

Huh? Strange isn't it? 

Now as a human, particularly a woman, I felt conflicted and complicated. Humans are weird with their thoughts too and have been living longer with creative input, changes and dreams. The concept of a dream is new to me, but I believe today is judgment day. What will they say? What will happen after this? 

Immediately I hear the bell ding, someone is entering into my shop and I see that it's my prince. I run up to him, anticipating, fast pumping jumping inside of me, sick and twisted state, but he solemnly says, "You didn't make it." I felt my face drop to the ground in disappointment. I failed to impress them. "HAHAHAH! You should've looked at your face! How hilarious it was!" 

"That's not funny!" I yelled. How dare he say such a thing? Even as a joke? 

"Huh? Baby please. I'm sorry," he grabbed my hands and quickly puts out his bottom lip to the front and his eyes leaking out the apology. 

"Okay. So what now?" And all he does is hold me tightly, and I felt something on my back, the same bright light and I closed my eyes feeling an unexplainable warmth under his arms. 

He's the Prince of Winter, but I only feel warm? And as I opened my eyes, I feel the air change, flowers in my shop wilted and frost covered inside. I look down seeing myself change- I'm wearing beautiful snow flowers plated and move around in fluidity and sparkle like the sun, while my skin is light-blue and pale, and furthermore when I looked at myself in the mirror, my eyes were and icy blue and lips slightly pink and soft, hair changed to a sour yellow color. But I loved this new me. A royal season that's a Princess of Winter just like him.  

I pulled him close to my figure, nearly hugging him as I embraced his hands in mine, "I haven't said it to you properly, but I love you." With that said, he looks deeply into my eyes and they were hungry and he hooks my lips with his in what humans call a passionate kiss, this time the snow swirls around us like we're the only ones deserving of each other. 

I've seen things before in the wild, but to experience this was on another level, magical even, closing eyes and accepting this blessing without regret. I'm glad I went through this. 

He pushes me off and smiles warmly eyes glowing in the blue-lit room, "Let's go home, my dear snowdrop," he ends and we both laugh, leaving the cold floral shop and we're both holding hands together as the first snow piles on the ground with the both of us taking a step closer to home.      

March 26, 2021 23:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.