SUMMER MEMORIES

Submitted into Contest #214 in response to: Set your story on the eve of the first day back at school.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship

ELIZABELLA

I can't believe the summer is over. Tomorrow is the first day of senior year. I waited so long for this time and now that's it's here I'm nervous. Butterflies are swarming in my stomach not only for tomorrow but also about what happened to me this summer. I met a boy. His name is Austin.

As I sit in my room thinking about tomorrow, I look back on the memories of this past summer. This summer was just like any other summer in Holly Hills. 90 degree weather almost every day. The lake was filled with so many people, families with their kids. I love the Holly Hills summers. Everyone is out and about. No one is hiding in their homes. Smiles and laughter were everywhere. That's Holly Hills for you.

Holly Hills has everything you will ever need. That's the reason why my family doesn't go on summer vacations. Holly Hills is a dream for me and anyone who visits. Almost every day you will see me at the lake.

In a small town you know everybody. Neighbors are like family. So, when new people arrive in Holly Hills everyone is curious including me. The new family was moving in right across the street from my home.

On the day the new family were moving in I was in the front porch reading a book. I looked up when I heard the moving trucks. This was new to us. No one has ever moved into Holly Hills.

Holly Hills is a generational town. Families like my own have lived in Holly Hills for generations. The house the new family is moving into once belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Carson. Sadly, they passed away. I guess their kids Andrew and Dani couldn't live in the house with all the memories.

As I watched the new family moving in, I couldn't help but stare at the boy who I assume is the couple's son. To me he didn't look happy to be in Holly Hills. As usual my mother can't help herself. She dragged me to meet the new family. My mother is a very nosey person.

The new family Hank and Eva Grey and their son Austin. My mother is nosey but she knows how to make friends very quickly. Eva was just as outgoing as my mother. She fit right in. Hank wasn't outgoing as Eva but he was friendly. He fit right in too. Austin on the other hand was very moody. He was very angry and rarely talked. It took time, a lot of time for Austin to open up.

Every day me and Austin hanged out. I showed Austin what kind of town Holly Hills is. Austin never showed any interested in getting to know Holly Hills. That didn't mean I gave up. No, I kept trying. I made a vow to myself to get Austin to open up and show him Holly Hills is a wonderful place to live.

Every morning I picked Austin up from his house and took him to the lake. I dragged him into the water every chance I got. I also took Austin to the dock. I jumped off but Austin wouldn't. One time I sneaked up on him and pushed him off. I laughed and for a moment I saw Austin smiling.

July 4th was the annual fireworks spectacular. The entire town goes to the lake to watch the most beautiful fireworks. I took Austin with me. We sat together and watched the fireworks together. It was so beautiful. From the corner of my eye, I saw Austin smiling. I was captivated by his smile. I told Austin he should smile more. He just looked at me. My mission to get Austin to like Holly Hills continued.

The rest of the summer, I gave Austin a tour of Holly Hills. We went to the movies, the ice cream shop, the park and camping. We went with friends I introduced him too. It was at the camp ground where Austin finally opened up to me. He told me he didn't want to move to Holly Hills. He wanted to stay in the city and that he misses his friends. I felt bad for him. I can't imagine leaving my friends and my home. Austin grabbed my hand and thanked me for being the first friend he made.

The camping trip was amazing. Austin had fun so did I. After the camping trip me and Austin were inseparable. We hung out every day, talked every day. I found out Austin plays football. I told him our school has a great football team. Austin flashed me his smile, I love.

For the rest of the summer, I got to know Austin more and he got to know me. I found out we had a lot of things in common, we like the same foods, the same movies and so much more. I like talking to Austin, for a city boy he wasn't rude. The more I talk to Austin the more I liked him. It was never easy for me to take to boys until I met Austin. He's super easy to talk too.

A night under the stars is the towns annual last day of summer dance. Me and Austin went together. We danced and hung out with my friends. I saw Austin coming out of his shell. I did it. After the dance Austin walked me home. We kissed. It was earth shattering. We said goodnight.

Now I'm in my room thinking about Austin and tomorrow. I can't wait to see Austin and begin our senior year together. What I summer I had.

AUSTIN

Tomorrow is my first day at Holly Hills high, my new school in a new town. This summer my parents uprooted my life in the city. I was angry at them. I didn't want to leave my home, my friends and my school and move to a small town called Holly Hills.

My parents told me the decision to move was hard for them but they needed work and Holly Hills offered them what they needed. At the end of June, we were unpacking in our new home.

From the moment we stepped into Holly Hills, I didn't like it. The people were so nosey, my new neighbors included. As I was unloading, I looked across the street and saw a beautiful girl. I looked away when she saw me. A couple minutes later, I saw her and her mother walking towards us.

Their names Jessica St. John and her daughter ElizaBella. I thought what a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. My mom and ElizaBella's mom got along really well. I said to myself that I wasn't going to get close to anyone but that's easier said than done.

ElizaBella was a force of nature. No matter how much I tried to avoid her she never let me be. She was always there. I never knew what she was doing. I never talked to ElizaBella but she never gave up. She took me to the lake. I didn't go swimming but that didn't stop her from dragging me to the water.

ElizaBella took me to the dock where she jumped off. I didn't, that didn't stop her. She snuck up on me and pushed me off. ElizaBella began laughing at me and it was beautiful. For the first time since I arrived in Holly Hills I smiled.

July 4th came and with that the fireworks show. Me and ElizaBella went together. We sat together. I stared at her profile and she was even more beautiful. The fireworks were amazing. I loved it. I finally began to feel like I belonged and I wasn't missing the city as much as I thought I would. This was all because of ElizaBella.

Like I said before ElizaBella is a force of nature with that said ElizaBella didn't stop in trying to make me like Holly Hills. She took me to the movies, the ice cream shop, the park and camping. While we were camping, I finally opened up to her. I told her I was angry at my parents for making me move to Holly Hills. Then I grabbed ElizaBella's hand and thanked her for being the first real friend I made.

As the summer continued me and ElizaBella continued to get to know each other. I told her I play football and she told me the high school has a good football team. I was excited. It was easy to talk to ElizaBella and the more I talked to her the more I liked her. She wasn't like the girls I knew from the city.

A Night under the stars is the towns annual last day of summer dance. I went with ElizaBella and boy did she look beautiful in her dress. We danced and hung out with her friends who were easily becoming my friends. I had so much fun.

After the dance I walked ElizaBella to her house. I kissed her. Let me tell you this it was amazing. I wanted to kiss her more. My mother taught me to be a gentleman and that's how I was going to treat ElizaBella. I said goodnight to her and walked to my house.

I'm looking out the window at ElizaBella's house and for the first time I can't wait until tomorrow. ElizaBella made the move worth it and while I miss my friends, I also made new friends and brought into my life a very special someone, ElizaBella. This summer was filled with a lot of memories I won't ever forget.

September 06, 2023 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.