Contest #234 shortlist ⭐️

Two Buckets and a Rope

Submitted into Contest #234 in response to: Write a story about someone whose time is running out.... view prompt

34 comments

Western

This story contains sensitive content

Roy hadn’t picked a moonless night on purpose, but as he climbed under his blanket and lay his head on his saddle, he was glad for the happy accident. Out on the range—the only place he felt truly at home—no moon meant stars. Thousands, if not millions of them, stared back at him as he contemplated his life choices, especially the one that waited for him at dawn.

A cowpuncher by trade, just as his father and grandfather before him, Roy had spent more nights than he could count far from the lights of the city.  In fact, the quiet lowing of a herd had become almost a necessity for Roy to fall asleep, always with one ear open, as any good hand would. Tonight, however, all he had to keep him company was his faithful steed, Lightning, and the stars. 

I’m at the end of my rope, Ron thought to himself, chuckling at the irony. Whereas others might not be able to pinpoint the moment their lives went wrong, Roy had no such quandary. He was a cowboy, not a rancher, but with a wife and young daughter to think about, he had sold everything, mortgaged what he could, and borrowed the rest to buy the land he had worked on since he was a boy. That was before the drought, the recession and the cancer ruined his plans. In the space of months, he lost his wife, his herd, and his good name, a gift presented to him by his father, just as it had been passed down from his grandfather. Tomorrow was his last day before the bank’s foreclosure, his last day as a rancher, and because of his decision to tie things up neatly, his last day.

The plan was simple. All it required was a rope, a tree, and two buckets. As a lifelong cowboy, Roy never went anywhere without a rope and, as fortune would have it, there was a lone tree far enough from the ranch house to give him the privacy he needed. Two sturdy metal buckets were easy enough to find in the barn to bring with him on his journey.  

The first warming rays of dawn hold special meaning to cowboys. They are a physical reminder of the immutable contact between man and nature. On the range, there is no need for alarm clocks or wake up calls. God, in his infinite wisdom, set in motion the hour glasses for those who lived off the land when he separated day and night with the rising and setting suns. On this day, dawn came both alarmingly quick and painfully slow to Roy, but as soon as the sun peeked its head over the horizon, the lonely cowboy put his plan in motion. 

Fashioning the end of a rope into a noose is an artform most will never master.  It's a knot that only has one purpose, and the history of the same is decidedly unpleasant. Roy, the consummate planner, hadn’t left the task to chance. He had tied and untied the knot more times than he could count, but it was the exact number of times it took to do so perfectly. Now with the end, he easily completed the task before throwing the knotted end of the rope over the sturdiest limb and tightly securing the other end to the trunk. The first bucket was then carefully placed directly under the rope. Exact measurements had been calculated and executed to allow for a man to stand on the pail and just be able to reach the method of his demise. 

After completing his first task, Roy turned his attention to a much more important one, filling the second bucket with water. He had no way of knowing how long it might be before someone might happen upon the scene, but no cowboy worth his salt would leave his horse thirsty. Roy knew that horses, left to their own devices, could find a water hole or stream without too much difficulty, but the bucket and water were his way of showing his friend love even as he prepared to die.

Roy often wondered what went through a man’s mind when he stared down death. He had been present the day his father passed and had held his wife's hand at the exact moment she left him, but this was the first time he had faced the end himself. To his surprise, he had no feelings of anxiousness or regret as he climbed up on the bucket and secured the noose around his neck. In fact as he looked to his left and then his right, Roy was struck by the beauty of the range first thing in the morning. There are worse ways for a cowboy to die, he thought to himself. 

Then, he heard it.

A nicker, the soft low pitched sound a horse makes when he wants your attention. Roy opened his eyes to see Lightning staring back at him. As soon as the horse and man’s eyes locked, Lightning turned his gaze towards the second bucket, the one left specifically for him. In an instant, Lightning kicked the bucket over, spilling its contents into the dirt. As the water soaked into the ground, rendering its contents useless, the horse returned its gaze to Roy. 

A horse and cowboy share a bond unknown to those who spend their lives in cities. They know each other's clues, both verbal and silent. It's a language, as real as any and in a way that only Roy could understand, Lightning told the man that if this was their chosen destination, then the two of them would take the last ride together.

In that moment everything changed. Roy had lost so much in his life, but he hadn’t lost everything. The sun, now fully above the horizon, shone on Roy as he reached up and removed the rope from his neck. He then quickly undid the knot of death and placed it and his saddle back where they belonged.

He left the two buckets exactly where they were, a reminder of the power of hope. Then, the two of them, man and horse, rode back towards the ranch house to fight another day. 

January 24, 2024 20:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Claire Trbovic
22:39 Jan 27, 2024

Thoroughly enjoyable, really liked your line ‘God, in his infinite wisdom, set in motion the hour glasses for those who lived off the land’, there is something really special about sunrise when you have a connection with the outdoors. Every one needs a horse like Lightning :)

Reply

Thom With An H
18:28 Jan 31, 2024

A horse or a dog or even like my dad had, a Guinea pig. Animals are the best. :-)

Reply

Claire Trbovic
19:31 Jan 31, 2024

I have a lot of time for this, more air time for guinea pigs please :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tara Carey
22:40 Jan 31, 2024

Hi I liked this story but I was wondering where his baby is and who is taking care of it? And what happened to his wife? Was his live for her the reason he is considering his own death? Or the loss of his family ranch? Or both? I love the ending where the horse kicks over the watering bucket, and the connection and understanding between the animal and the man. Thanks for sharing this story and I just have questions because it is such a neat story. Easy to read. Nice cadence. Well written. Good word choices.

Reply

Thom With An H
23:29 Jan 31, 2024

Thanks for the kind words. In my minds eye when I was writing it I saw his daughter as older. No longer living at home. I also think some of the answers are up to the reader. You get to decide some of the details. Especially in short stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isabella Montoya
18:05 Jan 31, 2024

Great story. I loved the imagery and the bond between the horse and the cowboy. You write great stories!

Reply

Thom With An H
18:25 Jan 31, 2024

Thanks so much. I am an animal lover at heart and love writing about that bond. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paul Simpkin
18:00 Jan 31, 2024

A beautiful story. Very moving.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:25 Jan 31, 2024

Thank you, Paul. It's nice to know the story connected with you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cassie Robbins
21:44 Jan 30, 2024

Thom, I loved your story. The references to nature’s beauty, the redemptive power of hope after loss, and especially the connection between a human and their animal friend.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:27 Jan 31, 2024

Much appreciated, Cassie. I had a friend who told me his cat saved his life. I think I was thinking of him in the back of my mind when I wrote this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marc Wilks
18:32 Jan 30, 2024

This story was amazing. The bond between a man and his horse is indeed strong and you captured it perfectly. Great job!

Reply

Thom With An H
18:30 Jan 31, 2024

The love of and to an animal is the closest to unconditional we'll ever know. I think it's a universal truth. Thanks for the read and kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Martin
11:58 Jan 30, 2024

Thom Brodkin, your story was interesting, cohesive, had good flow, was easy to read, and something a lot of people could relate to.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:31 Jan 31, 2024

Thanks so much. This one was fun to write because I knew the ending and I love hope.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
02:48 Jan 29, 2024

Beautiful story! I love your writing style and how you accentuated the bond between a man and his horse. Thank God for Lightning!

Reply

Thom With An H
18:31 Jan 31, 2024

Kate, I too love Supernatural, and really appreciate your positive feedback. It means more than you know.

Reply

Kate Winchester
19:35 Jan 31, 2024

Yay for Supernatural! My brother and I are about halfway through season 12 and are trying to finish it lol. You are very welcome for the feedback. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:57 Jan 28, 2024

Beautifully-written, Thom ! The imagery is so powerful.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:32 Jan 31, 2024

There is something about an open range that brings out the cowboy or cowgirl in all of us. Thanks for your kindness. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:03 Jan 27, 2024

Interesting. I did not either ending. A person and their horse always share a very special bond. In my opinion, with the open ending, this would be a great story to build on.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:33 Jan 31, 2024

I was thinking the exact same thing. There is a lot more meat left on this bone.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Virgil Birgil
17:42 Feb 23, 2024

As someone who doesn't know what dark alley he would be down without his dog, this is a very heartwarming story. Well written and with great imagery. Lighting's silent pact nearly made me cry :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:29 Feb 09, 2024

I enjoyed your story. I especially liked the paragraph beginning with "The first warming rays of dawn hold special meaning to cowboys. They are a physical reminder of the immutable contact between man and nature." I felt like I was standing out on the ranch with Roy and felt his shift of perspective when he connected with Lighting. Our connection with animals was awesome to explore during Roy's desperation. Nice job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
07:41 Feb 05, 2024

I found that the use of language really heightened the intimacy of the piece. Another knockout story, Thom. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jonathan Page
02:12 Feb 05, 2024

Touching story of a horse and its rider. Incredibly well told!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
19:25 Feb 04, 2024

Fine lines. Horse behaves that way too? I know of dogs. They behave like humans. That is the reason I don't want them as pet. Suddenly you have human addition in your house. Congrats.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Calvin Kirby
19:39 Feb 03, 2024

Great story, Thom! Have missed you here recently. Your story brought back memories of my teen years in northern California when I worked with an uncle who had several ranches and I had a horse named Popeye and we helped herd cattle from one pasture to another. The feeling you captured between the cowboy and his horse seemed very real. A very good read.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Congratulations on your shortlist, Thom! This was a fantastic story which had me worrying, up until the end, when I smiled. I’m so happy for you! I think this recognition is well deserved.

Reply

Thom With An H
19:56 Feb 03, 2024

Guadalupe, first of all thanks so much for your kind words about this story but even more so thank you for your kindness and support after I lost my friend. I wasn’t in a place where I could respond back then but your words and prayers were felt very deeply. They made a huge difference during a very hard time. You make a difference with your heart and compassion. Thank you so very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:10 Feb 02, 2024

Congrats on shortlist. Was sure I read and commented on this but don't find it now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Rutherford
12:27 Feb 02, 2024

Brilliant, poignant, touching.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Korinne H.
19:42 Feb 01, 2024

Simplistic loveliness.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.