4 comments

Fiction Friendship Inspirational

As Jim walks out of the office carrying all he had accumulated over his long tenure working at Canseli. He almost couldn’t believe this was it. Coming to this point has been challenging, but he was ready to start a different path in his life.

It all started on January 2nd. They had performance appraisals on this date every year. Jim wasn’t nervous because even though he was getting a little older, people liked him. He had been there for so long that nobody was interested in trying to get rid of him now. Jim was going to be a part of the Canseli research team until he physically no longer could. 

“Hey, Jim” Tom says in a great mood. 

This is already a sign that things were going to go well - as always.

“Hey, Tom. Great to see you as always! How’s little Lily?”

“Aw, she’s great. She missed you at the family dinner”

Jim felt a pang of distress. Even though he wasn’t actually related to Tom - or his 6-year-old daughter for that matter - they were like a family. He couldn’t believe that he had forgotten the family dinner. This was an annual event, so it’s really odd that he managed to forget it. That was happening to him with a lot of things lately. 

“Tell her I’m so sorry and I’m going to make it up to her. I don’t know how I forgot. I feel like I’ve been forgetting so many important things lately”

A sick look of sadness washes over Tom.

“About that - listen Jim: You know you’re like a father to me. That’s why this hurts so much.”

“What is it, Tom? Is Maggy okay?”

Maggy is Tom’s wife. She had been struggling with Lupus since she had Lily

“Oh no, she’s doing quite well. It’s about you and working here. I don’t know how else to say it but you’re just not helpful around here anymore. We love to see you around and all, but you have become a little forgetful and it’s showing up in your work. You have published 4 research documents on our site that had to be taken down for misinformation. Listen, I’m really sorry but this year you didn’t perform so well.”

“So are you like firing me? I know since I’ve hit the big seven zero, I’ve slowed down a bit but I didn’t recognize it was that bad”

“Come on Jim. You know I would never have the guts to fire you. But maybe it’s time for you to retire.”

“No! I can’t. That would just make things worse”

“Well, would you be willing to move to a lower position? Maybe like being my assistant? That would be a safe position for you as long as I’m here. Plus, you’ll only have to work as much as you want to because I’m pretty good about taking care of myself”

“I mean, I can give it a try. I don’t want to stay in this position if I’m doing a bad job. But….”

“Don’t worry. The pay will stay the same”

“I’m not worried about that Tom. I just, I love what I do. And I wouldn’t really feel like I’m doing much if I did anything else.”

“I understand. Well, it’s up to you. I’m not firing you, but you know how upper management will get if these problems keep coming up. Just think about it”

“Okay. Thanks. I will”

This isn’t what he was expecting. AT ALL. He felt his body getting older, but he felt like 30 years old in his mind. It was so kind of Tom to go easy on him. Jim would have to talk it over with his wife Cathy. 

Jim stopped at Walgreens on the ride home to pick up his meds. There were more to pick up this time. He was taking something for memory, Diabetes, high blood pressure, and vision was the new one. 

“Hey, Jim. got your meds all ready to go. That’ll be $35.66”

“Alright. How’s the wife?” Jim asks as fishing through his wallet for his debit card.

“Oh, she’s great. Expecting our first!”

“Ah. I knew you seemed to have a little bit more of a pep in your step today!” 

He hands him the card in exchange for the bag.

“Yeah. You know that’s what I’ve been hoping for!”

“Well, congrats. See you in 2 weeks!”

Jim pulled off still thinking about his conversation with Tom. He already knew what Cathy would say.

The drive home was shorter than he remembered it being. Probably because he was buried in his thoughts.

“I’m home”

“Hello, honey. How was work?”

“Well, Tome basically told me today that I was getting older and less efficient at the job. He doesn’t want to have to fire me, but I’ll either need to retire or become his assistant.”

“Oh, I'm sorry Jim. I know that job is what you live for”

“Exactly. Now I feel like I’m dying.”

“Listen here Jim: We’ve been married for 40 years, and you have been working at that job for all that time. You have been there for your coworkers and they have been there for you. You can even see their love for you in the fact that little Tommy doesn’t want to fire you now because you practically raised him. But Jim, there comes a time in life when your role changes. It’s time for you to settle down and be a family man. You have two children and a grandbaby on the way.”

“But I don’t want to end up sitting around being useless”

“Aint no useless! We need you around here. And Chloe sure gonna need you after she has that baby. Imagine that! You’re becoming a grandfather and you don’t even want to be home to experience it. Think about all the time you don’t spend with your actual family.”

“Yeah. You’re right, but it’s not that simple”

“I am right! Plus, I know Tom won’t mind you stopping by on a regular. Even if you don’t retire, it won’t be so bad to switch to being his assistant”

“I prefer to switch positions than to completely come out of the workforce!”

“Of course you do.” Cathy mumbles. He ain't ever cared bout nothin' but that job. He knows more about Lily than his own daughter who’s 4 times her age. 

**********

“Good morning Cathy!” Jim greets his wife with an affectionate glance.

“You’re gonna be late Jim. Save the cute talking and get going”

“Actually, I decided to stay home for a day to see how bad it would be if I actually retired.”

“I see. Well, I must say that makes me feel good. You want breakfast?”

“Yes, please. Were you planning on visiting Chloe today?”

“Jim, Chloe comes over every day at 4 pm”

How did Jim not know this? Had he really been this detached from his family?

“Great so I’ll get to see her. What about Brad”

“He’s out of town with work. He’s turning into you!”

“Mmm. well he’s got to feed his future family somehow”

Cathy just glances up from the pan of bacon. Brad, their son, gets a healthy stipend from Jim even though he’s been grown and gone for years. The last thing he needs is more money to fuel his addictions.

“So what are you normally doing now?”

“Making breakfast! Just like I’m doing now”

“Then what?”

“Watch a little TV and tidy up”

“Seems like your days are kind of boring.”

“Well honey, some people can find beauty in peace and quiet. Besides, by the time you get home, you’ll bring lots of lively conversation!”

Jim thought about “finding beauty in peace” for the entire day. His work life was fun, but not peaceful. There was always some type of problem to fix. It was overwhelming sometimes. By the time he woke up the next morning, his mind was made up on his choice. 

“Hey, Tom!”

“Oh Jim, you’re back! We were worried that the news hit you too hard and made you sick.”

“Oh, sorry. I should have called and told you. Between taking Cathy and Chloe baby shopping and helping out with dinner I was caught up for the whole day”

“Wow! That must have been fun. Maggy always says she wishes we would spend more time together like that. But hey - a man’s gotta work right?”

It was crazy how much Tom thought like Jim. Maybe it was a man thing.

“Hey listen, I thought about our conversation.”

“I wish things could have been different Jim. You know I would never want ot put you through this.”

“No, don’t worry about it. I’ve decided that you’re right! It’s time!”

Tom just looked at Jim with pure joy.

*******

That was about a month ago. It took time for the paperwork to be processed, but today Jim is officially a retired man! As he walks out the door with his box, he’s looking forward to enjoying a calm life and being there for Cathy, Chloe, and Jasmine (aka baby on the way)!

It comes a time when your role in life just changes. It’s time for Jim to become a family man. He’s more needed at home than in the office. As Jim gets in the car his phone rings.

“Oh, daddy hurry! The baby is on the way. Get to the hospital quickly. And bring that cute little thing you got for Jasmine”

“I’ll be right there honey”

October 01, 2022 01:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

05:49 Oct 13, 2022

Hi Sydney! I like your story. I think fear of retirement something everyone struggles with as we age. I love how he finds out all he needs is his family. As far a a critique, I suggest running it through a grammar ap or even copy it to a word doc to get most punctuation mistakes. Also think about breaking up the dialogue a bit as Isabelle pointed out. I think this is a great start. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

Reply

21:48 Oct 13, 2022

Thank you for the feedback! It will be so helpful as I try to become a more refined writer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:39 Oct 10, 2022

The plot progression and development is pretty good, though I do have some notes for this story. It's very dialogue-heavy, which can make it a bit choppy. Similarly, random singular lines of exposition really messed with the overall flow of the story. I also want to add a quick note regarding punctuation-there were quite a few points in which there just wasn't any. I believe if you work on improving the general flow of your writing, you could create some truly great stories. You have a good grasp on plot development and characters, so I'm e...

Reply

21:49 Oct 13, 2022

Thanks, Isabelle. I appreciate you taking the time to read my story and give me feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.