2 comments

General

May 1944


           She applied one more coat of deep red lipstick, smacking her lips before grinning at her reflection in the long oval mirror. Henry told her he had something important to ask her, Lynn felt like she was going to explode if she didn’t find out soon what he was going to ask her. ‘We’ve been going steady for about five months now…maybe he’s going to ask me to wait for him.’ thought Lynn as she raced down the stairs and out the door before her mother and father could question her. Excitement coursed through her as she ran through her small town and to their spot at the pier; her smile grew wider as she saw him waiting for her.

           Henry looked up when her heard footsteps running towards him, a smile lit up his face as he watched Lynn running to him. He jogged the last few steps towards her and caught her in his arms; he spun her around a few times before placing her back on her feet so he could place a sweet kiss on her ruby red lips.

“You look beautiful sweetheart!” murmured Henry holding her close, “I have so much I need to tell you!”

Lynn looked up at him and smiled, tears glistening in her eyes as her heart pounded against her chest with a mixture of excitement and worry. She saw his lips tighten as though he wasn’t sure how to tell her his news; determined to enjoy this moment, Lynn laid her head on his chest as her arms tightened around his waist.

“I ship out tomorrow morning,” whispered Henry, “I don’t know where they’re sending us…it could be Europe, Africa or the Pacific.”

Before Lynn could say anything, Henry continued…

“All I know is that I don’t want to spend the rest of my life without you Lynn,” whispered Henry, “I would be honored if you would marry me the second I come home…before you say anything, I want you to promise me that if I don’t come home, you will open your heart to finding love again.”

“But…” started Lynn about to protest

“Please promise me.”

Lynn sighed, standing on her tip toes she whispered, “Yes Henry I will marry you the very second you come home…” She hesitated before adding, “I promise to find love again in case you don’t come back…just promise me that you will do everything in your power to come home to me!”

“I promise!” smiled Henry pulling a pearl ring out of his pocket, “You’ll be needing this.”

Tears spilled from her eyes as she watched him slide the ring onto her finger, ‘I can’t believe this is happening!’ sniffed Lynn relishing the warmth of her fiancé’s arms

Henry walked her home an hour later; he kept a tight grip on her hand to assure himself that she wasn’t a dream. ‘I am glad to serve my country; I just can’t help but hope I won’t be away from Lynn for too long.’ thought Henry as they climbed the porch steps to the front door of her house.

They shared one last kiss before parting for the night; Lynn didn’t want to shut the door, she wanted to spend every available second with Henry before he left to go fight. Quietly, she tiptoed up the stairs, sitting down at her vanity, she began to write a letter to Henry telling him how much she loved him, how his courage strengthened her, etc. She slid the letter into an envelope alongside a photograph of herself before sealing it. She kissed the front of the envelope, leaving an imprint of her ruby red lips on the white paper.


The next day


           Lynn ran to the train station with her letter tucked away safely in her coat pocket; she spotted Henry and ran faster.

           “Henry!” called Lynn waving her arm

           Henry turned from the group of soldiers he was talking to and ran to her; Lynn’s arms wrapped around his neck as he wrapped his arms around her waist. “I love you!” whispered Lynn lovingly, “Please come home to me!”

           Henry fought the tears that began to flood his eyes, “I love you too angel! I will do everything I can to come home to you!”

           The train whistle sliced through the air, telling Henry and Lynn to say their last goodbyes, she gave him the letter which he tucked securely into his coat pocket; tears ran down her cheeks as she watched him step onto the train. Before too long, she saw him in front of her through one of the windows, his hand stretched towards her. Lynn held his hand tightly, afraid to let him go; the train began to move, but Lynn refused to let him go any sooner than she had too.

           “I love you Henry!” cried Lynn giving him one last smile

           “I will always love you Lynn!” called Henry as their hands were forced apart

           Lynn stood on the platform until the train was long gone from her sight. She didn’t bother hiding her tears as she stood there, after some time passed Lynn left the train station, ignoring the stares of those who had witnessed her painful sobs at being parted from her Henry.


                                               ………………………………………..

           Weeks turned into months, yet she faithfully replied to each letter Henry was able to send her; in the last letter he had included a blue forget me not flower with a delicate silver chain he had found in a shop in Liverpool. Lynn forced herself to stay busy by sewing mittens and scarfs for the soldiers abroad who would have to endure a harsh winter, she made sure to sew Henry a set of mittens and scarf in his favorite color: green. She would include it in his next package; Lynn knew her family worried about her, she claimed to not have to go dancing and would refuse to accept dates from anyone who asked her.

           “Darling, you must accept the fact that he may not come home,” said her mother, “He told you to find a new love, so I think you ought to start looking.”

           “He isn’t dead mother,” argued Lynn annoyed, “Until I get a letter lined in black telling me of his death, I will not consider another man. I love him and I will wait for him!”


December 1944


           Lynn stood in the corner looking out at the snow that floated lazily to the ground, the Christmas music played softly in the background, the smell of gingerbread and cider filled the room as party guests laughed and mingled.

           Max gazed at the young woman by the window, he was little surprised by the melancholy expression on her face. He wandered over to her with an extra cup of cider in his hand; he cleared his throat gently to get her attention. She looked at him surprise filled her warm brown eyes, he felt himself blush slightly.

           “I thought you could use this.” said Max softly, handing her the cup of cider

           “Thank you, Captain.” smiled Lynn gratefully taking the steaming cup

           They stood in silence for a few moments before Max spoke again, “I couldn’t help but notice…you look sad for such a joyful season.”

           “My fiancé Henry is fighting in France.” whispered Lynn her lip quivered as she mentioned Henry’s name, “You’re probably relieved to be home for the holidays.”

           “I am grateful to be home, though I could do having my foot back.” smiled Max warmly

           “Oh Captain, I am so sorry…”

           “Please don’t worry about,” insisted Max, “I suppose I am little bitter about losing my left foot, though I am grateful to be alive. I have Sergeant Henry Steele to thank, if it wasn’t for him, I would have died for sure.”

           “Henry Steele?” gasped Lynn shocked, “That’s my fiancé, sir please can you tell me how Henry was doing before you left?”

           For the rest of the evening, Max assured Lynn that Henry was alive and well before he left France. Max had coaxed Lynn to dance with him, he understood now why Henry was so in love with this woman; a little part of him hoped to get to know her better and look after her until Henry came home. ‘It will be hard for me to let her go,’ thought Max gazing into Lynn’s warm brown eyes, ‘I think I am falling in love with her.’


April 25, 1945


           Lynn was grateful for Max’s friendship, ‘He has been a great comfort to me,’ pondered Lynn as she pulled weeds from her garden, ‘I don’t know where I would be without him.’ She looked over at him and smiled, he was elbow deep in dirt as he tried to figure out which plants were weeds and which were flowers.

           They continued to work until they heard a voice behind them, “Excuse me? Miss Harte?”, Lynn turned and saw a soldier standing behind them with a grim expression. Shaking, she stood and approached the soldier; she felt Max place his arm around her shoulders. The blood seemed to drain from her face as her eyes found the black rimmed envelope in his hands.

           “Y-Yes?”

           “Normally, I would give a letter only to his family,” explained the Soldier gently, “Henry Steele requested a letter be given to you as you were his fiancé. I am so sorry for your loss.”

           Her hands shook violently as she accepted the letter, the soldier left her and Max to read it in privacy. Max took the letter gently and read it aloud with a trembling voice, plain and simple it stated that Sergeant Henry Steele had died in battle honorably.

           An anguished, strangled sob ripped free from Lynn’s throat as she felt her legs give way; Max wrapped his arms around her, holding her as she cried. He allowed his own tears to flow freely, as he remembered the happy soldier who had always talked about his beautiful, amazing fiancé that he couldn’t wait to marry the second he got home.


December 1945


           Lynn gazed at the diamond ring on her finger, and smiled; a few months ago, she stopped wearing her mourning clothes and decided to take her promise to Henry seriously. Max had stayed by her side refusing to leave her as she mourned and lost interest in her hobbies; little by little she found herself smiling again and knew it was because of Max.

           Max had proposed a few weeks ago and Lynn knew that Henry would be happy for her; her hand found the silver chain with the pearl engagement ring on it and slipped it from her neck. Max had given her a little wooden box that she could keep her letters, necklace and ring from Henry in. He knew how important it was to keep a little of Henry with her.

           Max placed his hands on her shoulders and placed a kiss on her forehead, he looked up in the mirror to see her smiling at him. Her warm brown eyes crinkled merrily as he placed another kiss on her cheek and another on her lips.

           “I love you Mrs. Forrester!” whispered Max

           “I love you more Mr. Forrester!” giggled Lynn standing so that she could wrap her arms around his neck, “I can’t wait to start forever with you.”

           Max pressed his lips to hers and smiled when she eagerly returned his passion. Lynn’s lips curled into a soft smile as she stood in Max’s arms, grateful that his friendship with her had blossomed into love.


May 2020


           “Happy 74th Birthday Grandma!” smiled Lynn as she read the card aloud to Max, “Have a wonderful day! Love Henry, Anne, Allie, James, Sarah, Henry Jr and Charlie”

           Max placed his arm around his wife’s shoulders, he knew how much she loved receiving mail from their grandchildren. He smiled as she gazed down at their photo; this was the first of eight cards to arrive. During their marriage they welcomed eight children and were now the proud grandparents of thirty grandchildren with their first great grandchild arriving in a few months.

           As always during the month of May, Max and Lynn took out the little wooden box filled with letters and other little gifts from Henry and slowly reread each letter and examined each gift from the dried flowers preserved in envelopes, the silver chain with the pearl engagement ring, and the few black and white photographs.

           Lynn smiled as she gazed down at a picture of Henry in his soldier’s uniform, a playful smirk lit up his face as he looked at the camera. She turned and looked at her husband, who gazed back at her with loving tenderness. She leaned towards him and lovingly kissed the man who had been her best friend and husband for many years.

           Later that night as Lynn fell asleep in Max’s arms, she drifted in a dream that began to feel so real, she thought she might still be awake. Lynn stood on the pier and when she heard her name being called, she turned and saw Henry walking towards her. When he reached her, he took her hands in his; Henry had that playful smirk on his lips, he gazed at her for a few minutes.

           “You look beautiful sweetheart.” whispered Henry smiling down at her

           “Even though I’m an old woman now.” laughed Lynn gazing up at him

           “You’re even more beautiful now,” insisted Henry, “Thank you for keeping your promise! I know that it wasn’t easy for you; I knew that Max would love you and be a great husband for you.”

           “You knew that we would get married?” gasped Lynn surprised, “How?”

           “After I had saved him in the battlefield, I asked him to watch over you, to be a friend to you,” explained Henry tenderly, “When I was shot, I knew my wound would be fatal; the moment I passed I was able to visit Max the same way I am here with you now…I told him that I knew he was in love with you and he should ask you to marry him. I could see that you were falling in love with him. I am truly happy for you two Lynn.”

           “I had a feeling that you would be happy with my marrying Max,” smiled Lynn, “He is a wonderful husband and I love him as much as I loved you...you will always have a special place in my heart Henry...why did you wait so long to come to me?”

           “I needed some time to come to terms with not being able to come home to you,” explained Henry smiling, “I knew you would be okay…I’m happy and safe here...I wanted to let you know that I am grateful that you kept your promise to me... I have to go now angel.”

           “I understand.” sighed Lynn content

           Henry wrapped his arms around her and smiled as she returned his hug, he whispered in her ear as he began to fade away, “I will always love you Lynn!”

           When she opened her eyes again, Henry was gone, however now she knew for sure he was pleased with who she chose to marry, Lynn felt peaceful especially knowing that he was still looking out for her and Max.

           Lynn blinked into the darkness and gazed at her husband who was sleeping beside her, his arm still around her shoulders, keeping her close and smiled. She laid her head back down on his chest and whispered, “I love you so much Max!”

           As she was about to drift off into sleep again, she heard Max return her love in a whisper, “I love you more Lynn!” and tightened his arms around her.

May 23, 2020 00:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

VJ Hamilton
17:36 May 29, 2020

Randi, I like how you "magnify the moment" - for example, the passage: "Lynn looked up at him and smiled, tears glistening in her eyes as her heart pounded against her chest with a mixture of excitement and worry. She saw his lips tighten as though he wasn’t sure how to tell her his news; determined to enjoy this moment, Lynn laid her head on his chest as her arms tightened around his waist." It draws the reader right into the action. The reader hears Lynn make a very big promise: “Yes Henry I will marry you the very second you come home…...

Reply

Randi W
17:29 Jun 04, 2020

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.