2 comments

Holiday

I won’t say that I live in a city, nor in the country. Where I live is quite, it’s a small town. Not too many people but still enough to fill up a street. If there was ever an emergency my kids could easily run a few feet across the street to our neighbors house. The people around here are really kind. That's why I love this place.

During the holiday season most of my neighborhood will go out to only god knows where. As more people leave to go on vacation, this one car shows up more often. I don't know who it is or what they want, so I just brush it off. 

I always listen to a police scanner while I'm on my way to work. I hear it mention the name of my street. I pick up my phone without thinking to call my babysitter. Before i can type in her phone number she calls me. I instantly pick up. 


“Hello, Mr. Daverson.” she says softly into the phone


I respond quickly with “ yes, is everything alright.”


 I don't hear anything coming from her side of the line. Not even the sound of her breath. After a couple seconds of silicene I hear a woman's voice said “hello?”. This voice is not the voice of my wife, sydney my babysitter, and it’s sure as hell not one of my kids. “Hello?”, she says again. My shaky voice responds with “umm, hello.”


“this is Mr. Daverson, correct?”. 


“Yes it is”


“Hello Mr. Daverson, I’m Detective Lee.”


“Detective?” 


“Yes. I was assigned to your case.” 


“My case? What happened? Are my kids okay?”


“Sir I’m going to need you to stay calm.” she said as she tried to relax me. “Someone broke into your house and has kidnapped your kids.” At this point my palms are very sweaty, and I can barely get a grip onto my steering wheel. Before either of us could say something, flashing lights came on behind me. “I’m being pulled over at a time like this?” I thought to myself. That's when I realized I was going 25 miles per hour over the speed limit. I pulled over as detective Lee asked me if i've seen a suspicion car lingering around. I told her that I was being pulled over. She went quite. I saw the police officer get out of his car,and walk towards me in my rear view mirror. There was muffled yelling on detective Lee’s side of the phone. I froze. “what is going on” I wonder. The phone disconnected. 

The police officer tapped on my window.I rolled it down very slowly. There is something off about him. My window is down half way Neither of was say anything. It felt like this awkward silence went on for eternity. He just stood there making eye contact with me. This made me feel very discombobulated. Eventually I asked what I could do for him, and he just stood there, still making eye contact. This made me feel nervous, very very dreadfully nervous. All the sudden beaming lights started to approach us. “more cops, why.” I poundered. I look up at the officer, because he seemed surprised that more cops were coming, but he was dashing to his car. Right in that moment I recognized the dark blue suspicion car that has been hanging around my neighborhood. “that’s what was so off about him!” I yelled in frustration. The so called police officer slammed his car door shut and hurtled off. Just before he was out of my sight I caught the license plate. 8S4 3QK.



December 26, 2019 00:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

20:44 Jan 02, 2020

Sense of fear effectively conveyed -Where I live is quite> where I live is quiet -couple seconds of silicene> couple seconds of silence

Reply

Scarlett Irrig
00:17 Jan 04, 2020

thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.