"Lost and found"

Written in response to: End your story with someone finding themselves.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Horror Mystery

It's cold outside..But no matter how much you cover yourself with blankets and jackets you can never seem to warm yourself from the chills that follow. Well have you ever heard the saying? Whenever you have a chill running down your spin it's someone walking over your unmarked grave? A lot of people believe it and can be very skeptical of the story. I know you must be confused but relax! It'll be ok, you promised to meet him by the old shore down at the beach remember? The one that was closed off due to that weird investigation going on..Police have found nothing yet but their still searching.

All dressed and ready? Perfect! The path was just outside your house to that once perfect and fun filled sandy island you loved to visit, such innocence back then..But don't fret! It's just a small stroll there and down to meet him, do you remember what he wanted? I can't, you don't either? Hm maybe he could tell us. Hurry up though I heard there was a storm ahead of your town not far from here with rain and thunder.

Hey why did you stop? Something doesn't feel right? Pfft! It's probably just the night chills getting at you, but why do you look so blue and pale kid? You aren't sick are ya? No,Good!

If I remember your father said he had a present for you while your mother was away getting the final birthday decorations isn't that exciting? I know! Birthdays are a great time of the month gathering for a child to grow older and older..until their dust! What? No time for jokes? Alright then.

Look there he is! Standing with a shovel so you can build a sandcastle or dig up fancy rocks!..The storm is getting closer though, I'm sure we'll be ok! Your strong father will protect you and take us for a swim me and you. See he even has his fishing boat to travel on, get on!.

It's nice and calm but why does he seem so silent? Not even a single hello bud or hows it going? Now that's strange...Hm, just take a breath and relax! Nothing will happen, he's speeding now..and your begging him to stop? This is fun!

Oh my, kid your turning more blue and your covered in sea weed, and whats with the police sirens in the distance?

"******!? Come here!"

Why is your father screaming now and crying too? I thought we were having fun! Hey man!. The sirens are getting louder with the storm not far..Stay close kid. He's shouting now and could injure his throat, police are yelling for him to come back to land and he's now turning around!? No way!..

Kid? Hey kid wake up! He's stopping and he got out in a panic screaming for them to find someone..he has a picture of you? But your right here besides me. This is so strange..hahahaha! Some fun joke this is huh? Hey why are you coughing up water? Laugh to much?. The police seem sad now they took off their hats in respect for you? Your father is now crying on his knees heartbroken.

Ah! That explains the shivers! We're standing where you are! Or well where your body is..

You don't understand? Let me explain..

You went swimming a couple days ago while your parents were cooking dinner remember? Yes? Ok! Your mother had told your directly not to swim to far out due to the high tides but you were young and didn't listen and swam out further away from shore...Your father noticed from the window and screamed running out of the house while your mother called the sheriff. Sadly your young mind couldn't understand what you were doing wrong until a wave crashed over your frail body dragging you under, everything was muffled as you kicked your legs and arms trying to get out. Coming up for a couple seconds before vanishing under the waves, you looked down seeing you became tangled in sea-weed and couldn't get free...Taking your final couple breaths in fear, darkness surrounded you...

Your father yelled and searched for you for days, crying on your birthday for you to return. Your mother? Hid away inside the house unsure if she was ready to face the hard world out there when your vanished from her arms...Poor poor dear wishing for her child to come home but that won't be happening.

What about me? Oh! I forgot! I was a child hood friend that you played with when you were just a toddler! We had so much fun back then!..We still can! Don't pay attention to the officers and your parents over there, join me in the waves and lets have fun! Come on...Oh oh wait!

Do you see that ambulance on top the hill at the top of the path? I'll race you there!...Sorry I beat you here but you gotta open the doors!

Why? Cause your big surprise is in there of course! There we go!

On that white table...who is that? It's you! They found you! WE found you! You won the game of finding your gift!

That's exciting! A round of applause for you kid! Why do you look so terrified?

Kid...hahahahah! It's only you on that table! Yea you have some water in your lungs but look! Your there, they found you...Blue and cold to the touch covered in sea-weed and lifeless..Happy birthday kid now what do you say that we go swimming like we used to?

Like old times? When something dragged you under?..Lets play that again. Your the target and I'll be your hunter, You better start swimming back to shore.

Our last game ended to quickly and we need to try again. So come on kid! Race you down to the roaring waves!

Lets see who can last the longest underneath, I believe Ill win this time once again, you lost way to early last game.

December 14, 2021 19:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.