0 comments

Fiction

Chills ran through K as he struggled for a gasp.

When he finally succeeded, the cool dryness sucked what little moisture was left in the back of his throat.

He tried to stand but panicked when his kicks met air.

A low hum droned somewhere in the distance. K couldn't tell how far it went after the noise passed him but the lack of echo didn't ease his mind. He took a few more dry breaths before trying to lift himself up. He didn't get far.

Somewhere, not far, a metal door opened . . . then closed. Faint squeaks followed slowly thumping boots as they made their way in K's direction. He couldn't see the body as it approached him. He gave another pull upward, then dropped. The ropes sliced into his arms but K couldn't feel it, his arms were cold. Numb.

"you." said a voice. It took a heavy, snarling breathe.

"You!" said it again as struggled in his direction with it's thumping and squeaking. Then stopped, breathing. Breathing. Breathing.

K didn't think to move a muscle. A tear froze on his cheek

The body moved only meters from him. He heard chains rattle then with a struggle and a thump something heavy hit wood.

"you." the voice said. "Here. . ."

"ANSWER!"

"Yes!" K squealed his best.

A carefully forced stroke rashed through meat. The edge catching blunt at the end.

"remember." "Remember." "REMEMBER!" it yelled as blade met flesh, bone, then wood.

"I Remember!" K cried. "I remember," forcing a couple more breathes between coughs. "Yes I remember." He slurped more air through his nose, vapor leaving on exhale.

Remember what? he thought.

"Forest."

"forest?" inquired the voice.

"Yes, forest. Tall green trees. Some grass mixed with pine needles on the floor. Squirrels jumping abou-"

"I KNOWS FOREST!" yelled the voice. A fist hit the table. Chains shifted all around but quickly stopped.

K swore he felt a splinter hit his leg, then without missing a beat, "Yes! yes, you know forest." he said letting out desperate laugh. He slurped more air. He knows forest . . . he knows forest. Another streak froze on his cheek perfectly on top of the previous one.

"Long road, that forest. Long, long road."

"long road?"

"Yes." Wheeze. "Very long. Very long . . . I had my hood on, you see."

"hood?"

"Yes hood. Bright, red. Very red and" sucking air through his teeth, "I was coming back home" . . . "but the door."

The blade began to move quicker. Focused. Ripping through it's companion.

"HE WAS THERE!" K shrieked.

. . . the distant hum droned on through the silence.

"He was there. . ." K closed his eyes as what little vision he had blurred. Chills ran up and down his body while sweats froze as they appeared.

"he?"

"I couldn't find her!" wept K. "But he looked just like her." "Just like her."

"you kno-"

"Yes! I knew!" K unwittingly interrupted, but he wasn't going to stop. "How could I not. It was my own grandmother! He wore her clothes! He was in her bed . . . but it wasn't her."

The slicing continued, but slower.

"It wasn't her. No. She was too hairy. . . too hairy. The teeth, the teeth as well. They were too big."

K thought of trying to lift him self once more to try and free his restraints but couldn't make the effort. He was done.

Chop. . . Chop. . . Crunch. . . Chop. . .

"What are you going to do with me?"

His question was answered with the distant hum.

"Hey you!"

Chop. . . Chop. . . Chop. . .

"I told you everything! I didn't do it! It's my own grandmother for goodness sake!"

Chop. . . Slice. . . Chop. . . Chop. . .

"i cut."

K sniffled, "But, but I have nothing more to say. I don't remember any more!"

"i cut."

"Please."

"I Cut."

"No!"

"I CUT!"

"NO!!!"

'. . . In other news the world remains shaken as the royal authorities continue their search for the missing wool of the world renown Black Sheep. When asked if there was anything more she'd like to add, she had this to say. "Baa Baa." Whether these are to be considered words of hope and encouragement or a plea for help remains unknown. The authorities advise all to lock their doors and tighten their shutters in order to discourage further criminal activity. A reward is offered to anyone who could give any information leading to the capture and arrest of the master thief known only by his street name 'Robin'. Please submit any further any information directly your local peace keeping department.'

Putting the paper down, Rellh licked what was left of his ice cream.

"You should really stop eating those Rellh," said Pete, "they're bad for your health."

"Funny, that's what my wife always says, but then I just look at my old man well into his nineties enjoying a cone, cigar, and whiskey and think to myself, 'if that ain't happiness, I don't know what is.' Besides, I think ninety is plenty years of livin' and I'm gonna to enjoy all the cones I can til then."

"By the way," glanced Rellh as they were walking by the local butcher, "that new guy at the precinct, what's his name . . . Detective H. Dumpty. I heard he's already closing his third case."

"Which?" asked Pete.

"You know, the one with the grandma and the cottage. Real tragic. Apparently they found the lady inside of the perp. If he wasn't sick as he was she'd already be dead. Just wait til Tommy hears about this." Rellh, looked at the butcher shop again. "In fact, lets stop by right now. Beth will swallow me whole if I forget the Flank again."

As the bell rang Pete looked at the massive thing of a man behind the counter. "You know, I feel like Tommy might come across our desk one of these days."

"Tommy?" recoiled Rellh, "Tommy wouldn't hurt a fly, besides everyone knows how much he loves a good story." He turned toward he man. "Isn't that right Tommy? A good story puts you right into a chopping mood don't it?"

"story?" "Story?!?" "STORY!!!!"

March 11, 2023 22:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.