3 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

Should she or shouldn‘t she accept him? Please read what happens! Agriculturists normally reside in rural settings. Accordingly Lal who was a land owner and farmer lived in a village with his family which consisted of him, his wife and his daughter Lisa. Mehta, a dealer in agricultural products and inputs also preferred that village and lived there not far from Lal’s place. Both Lal and Mehta were moneyed and jointly sought to preserve and grow their wealth. To this end Mehta’s son Arvind was informally engaged to Lisa.

Coming to Arvind: He was tall, fair and handsome and was about 28. He mostly lived in the city where he studied. In due course he got his degree in medicine with high credit for his surgical skill. His ambition was to qualify for a masters degree and so had joined as an intern in a prestigious hospital.

Coming to Lisa: She was of average height, was fair, and looked passable with dense shoulder length hair on her head. She was 4 years junior in age to Arvind. Lisa had a degree in psychology after which she had discontinued studies. Her mother would say “No need for my daughter to study further. She is going to be a home maker after marriage.” Actually Lisa was good at home management and the way she had organised their home was given publicity in a newspaper together with photographs. The article and photos had caught the eye of the renowned architect Dhavan. He had himself come to see the interior of Lal’s home and had made Lisa’s acquaintance. Dhavan had been greatly impressed with her capability and had in fact offered her a job in a wing of his enterprise. His interest was not only in her ability to arrange interiors, but in herself. Dhavan was only of average height with a trim beard though balding but was handsome. He was about 30 and had studied building design in France after which he had established a consulting firm. His consultancy was highly regarded. He kept up a line with Lisa. She in turn knew he had a romantic interest in her.

Arvind meanwhile was showing his skill in surgery in the hospital. He lived in a quarter allotted to him by the hospital so that he would be immediately available particularly when VIP patients had to be treated. One member of his team was Helen. She was short and dark besides being slightly overweight. Working closely with Helen, he found she had tried to snare him, but he was immune. He steered clear of Helen which angered her.

One person who scored high with Arvind was the surgical nurse Dahlia. She had done nursing in Abu Dhabi where her father worked, and he found her very capable. Not only him but other experienced surgeons would also swear by her service. Dahlia was slim and tall with an ever smiling face. Arvind who was usually taciturn would talk freely to Dahlia. He would say as he drew on his operation gear “Another appendectomy I suppose.”

She would laugh and say “No doctor. The patient’s history sheet says it is a gall bladder. Does not look complicated to me as seen from the Xrays.”

Helen would come down heavily on Dahlia and tell her to shut up if she made any such comments.

Doctors also can end up as  patients as happened with Arvind. He had been driving a bike at speed and had somehow crashed. He was admitted in the hospital where he worked. Luckily his injuries were minor. They had suspected a knee fracture but Xrays ruled it out. He spent 3 days in hospital where his injuries were attended to which was his privilege. Dahlia was in love with Arvind and would visit him regularly. He had also been greatly attracted by her. After discharge Arvind was shifted to the hospital’s guest house for a brief convalescence.

Visiting him Dahlia asked “Nobody from your family visiting you?”

He said “It was something minor. I didn’t want them to get worried and rush here. So I didn’t tell them. Not even Lisa. As you know accidents happen to people. Here it was my fault.”

She laughed and said “Accidents can also cause people.”

He knew she was referring to barrier layer failures and joined in her laughter. Later that day she came and said “So tomorrow you’ll be back to your quarter.”:

“Yes. You could come there also and talk to me.”

“May be I will.”

A few days later, Dahlia visited Arvind in his quarter late in the evening. He couldn’t recognize her as she was wearing a western style dress - a short skirt with a flowered top. The skirt was threatening to go up high as she sat on a chair. He noticed she had very proportional limbs and her legs were nicely formed. She had her hair piled up and her top accentuated her bosom.

He said “Dahlia you look transformed. You look beautiful.”

She coloured as he said “I’ve never seen you like this. You’re always in white coat and cap and gloves. I couldn’t recognise you now as you’re in fancy wear.”

He drew near her and kissing her said “I can’t help what I’ve done.”

She laughed and said “You’ve done no wrong. I wanted you to take the liberty.”

He was overcome by her approach and whispered “I wish you could give me more.”

“Take whatever you want. Ask not!”

He bolted the door of his quarter and pulled her to his bed. He undressed her putting away her clothes carefully so that she could wear them again. His hands wandered over her bare body and in the mossy collection in her isthmus. She merely cooperated giving him full freedom finally allowing him to get busy with his loving part. He didn’t worry about the consequences as he was confident that with her medical knowledge she would be aware of those days when nothing can go wrong even if protection was denied. Of course, over days, there were repeats of what had happened!

However after only a few weeks she whispered to Arvind that she was in the family way. He bluntly told her it was her problem as he was engaged to Lisa.

A couple of days later Dahlia was missing from the surgical theatre. Another nurse had replaced her. Helen who had kept a close watch on what was happening, rejoiced at the trouble that Arvind was facing.

Arvind was shocked to hear that Dahlia had opted to serve patients in the covid ward. A couple of weeks later the chief of police came to Arvind and showed a letter saying “This came to us from nurse Dahlia who is now dead”.

Arvind read the contents and was shocked: It read inter alia ‘I’m carrying Dr.Arvind’s baby. Since he refused to marry me I changed to the covid ward where I know my life will end.’

Arvind made a clean breast of facts which the police took in writing. That done Arvind submitted his resignation to the hospital authorities. He had several job openings and he would decide appropriately. Helen who had been keeping a close watch on the happenings, rejoiced at the trouble that Arvind was facing.

When the news reached Lisa, she was shocked. What would she do next? Would she forgive him and accept Arvind? Would she accept Dhavan? Would she accept neither? She simply told her parents “I must think it over. Let me have 3 months.” The decision was almost as uncertain as the Delphic oracle which said when asked “The Greeks, the Romans shall conquer” an ambiguous reply!

END

May 22, 2021 12:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Ari Masters
17:08 May 30, 2021

Wow, I was in no way prepared for the turn that story took at the end there. I thought the story was interesting, but as a reader, I wanted to see Arvind punished fir treating Dahlia so badly, and so the ending felt kind of unsatisfying. But maybe that was the point?

Reply

Ari Masters
17:09 May 30, 2021

Also, nice title choice.

Reply

02:03 May 31, 2021

Thanks for your comments. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.