Confessions

Written in response to: Write a story about a pair of pen pals.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Drama Friendship

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Claire sat by the window, the soft glow of the afternoon sun casting a warm embrace across her cozy family room. A steaming cup of herbal tea rested in her hands, it's comforting aroma intertwining with the delicate scent of all of her books that lined the shelves. Beside her on the table lay an envelope, the penmanship on it unmistakably belonging to her pen pal, Edna.

Their correspondence had spanned over two decades, their letters revealing the nuances of their lives, dreams, and fears. But today, Claire sensed something different in the air, a weightiness to Edna's words that had never been present before. With calm hands, she carefully unfolded the letter and began to read it.

"Dearest Claire,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. As I sit down to write to you today, a wave of memories, both painful and haunting, floods my mind. There's a secret I've carried for more than two decades, a truth that I can no longer keep hidden in the shadows."

Claire's heart quickened as she read those words. She took a sip of her tea, trying to steady her nerves, before continuing.

"I need to confess, Claire. Over twenty years ago, I committed a crime that has haunted me ever since. A crime born out of desperation and a fight for survival. I took a man's life, Claire. A drifter who had invaded my home with murderous intentions. I was alone that night, my husband, Richard was out of town on a business meeting for his job.  The intruder came at me with violence in his eyes. I didn’t recognize him at first. He was wearing a ski mask which covered his entire face but his eyes. I kept looking at those eyes. There was something so familiar about them. I knew that I had seen them before, but I could not remember where or when. He didn’t say a word to me. He stood there right in front of me. There was a gleaming object in his hand. I couldn’t really make out what it was. The only light coming in from the closed blinds. I didn’t know what it was until he raised his hand, and I felt the pain, a pain like no other pain I had ever felt in my right arm.  It was him or me, Claire. In that moment, a surge of adrenaline and fear propelled me to do the unthinkable. I knew right then and there I was in a fight for my life.”

Claire's breath caught in her throat as she absorbed the weight of Edna's words. Her mind raced, struggling to comprehend the revelation before her. She had known Edna to be kind, gentle, and caring, a woman who loved her garden and cherished every living creature. How could she reconcile this confession with the person she knew?

Tears welled in Claire's light blue eyes as she continued to read.

“I tried to grab the knife from his hands. He was strong, Claire. He was young and strong. He and I wrestled for the knife and before I knew it we were both on the floor and he was on top of me. He raised the knife over his head and all I could think of at that moment was that I didn’t want to die. I had so much to live for. It is true Claire, that when you think that you are going to die your life really does flash in front of you. My only thought at that moment was the baby I was carrying. I hadn’t even told Richard yet that I was pregnant. I knew that I had to fight not only for myself but for my unborn baby. I managed to raise my foot from the floor high enough to kick him. I don’t know where my foot landed but it was a strong enough kick. The kick sent him back and he fell on the floor. At that moment I knew that I needed to move quickly. I was running on pure adrenaline. I grabbed the knife which had fallen out of his hands on the floor, and I did the unthinkable.  I took the knife in my hand and stabbed him once that I can remember. Blood was all over me and the floor and him. I was in a state of shock. I don’t remember how I got him to the backyard, but it was not until then I discovered his identity. He was the man who I had seen a few days ago at the grocery store. He had asked me if I was single, and I had said no but he was relentless. He even followed me to my car. I was so scared. I yelled across the parking lot to Belinda, my neighbor and started walking across the parking lot to where she was standing, loading her groceries in the car. The guy got scared and ran away. He must have followed me home. He must have been watching me and he saw when Richard left, and he knew that I was alone. Richard must have left the door unlocked. He sometimes does that. He thinks that since we live in a small town, we are safe. We aren’t safe. We will never be safe. 

I buried his body in the backyard, Claire, a place that has been my refuge and sanctuary. I've lived with the guilt of that night for years, the weight of his presence in every rustle of leaves and every blooming flower. I've prayed for forgiveness, sought solace in the darkness, but the burden remains. I don't know why I'm confessing this to you now, after all these years, except that the weight has become too much to bear alone."

Claire's hands trembled as the reality of Edna's confession settled in. She put the letter down for a moment, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. It was a story of survival, of a woman pushed to her limits, making a choice that changed the course of her life forever.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows through the room, Claire picked up the letter again, her heart a mix of compassion and empathy for her pen pal. Edna's words had torn open wounds that had remained hidden for so long, but they also offered a chance for healing.

In the end, Claire knew that the value of their friendship lay not just in the moments of joy and laughter they had shared over the years, but in the trust Edna had placed in her by sharing this darkest of secrets. As the stars emerged in the night sky, Claire began to pen her response, her words a soothing balm for a wounded soul across the miles.

"Dear Edna,

Your words have touched me deeply, and I want you to know that you are not alone in this burden. We all carry our secrets, our regrets, and our choices. While I cannot fully comprehend the weight of what you've shared, I am here for you, as a friend who listens without judgment and supports without hesitation. We will find a way to navigate this journey together, to seek the healing that you deserve. We will figure it all out. But, my friend, I think that you know what to do next. You must tell someone else. I know how hard that is going to be but I will be there for you. Richard will also be there for you. We love you and no matter what happens just remember that.” 

And as Claire sealed her response with love and understanding, she knew that their friendship would weather this storm just as it had weathered the passing years—stronger and more resilient than ever before.

August 24, 2023 18:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.