Contest #229 shortlist ⭐️

20 comments

Christmas

A bombshell revelation from the man formerly known as Jesus. It took many years, but he has reinvented himself- yet again. Josh, as he is known today, has a worldwide base of followers who call themselves Joshers. Few others can say they have two million followers. Josh the influencer. Josh the activist. Josh the criminal. Josh the great polarizing figure. Exactly who is Josh? 

________

Clara Carlyle: Good to see you. 

Josh Christmas: Thank you for having me. Hey everyone out there. 

CC: I thought we'd start with you introducing yourself. 

JC: Of course. Who am I? Well, I am a problem solver and a leader. I can walk on water, feed the hungry and cure the sick. I am the son of God! I know the truth! Someone once compared me with oysters, you either love them or hate them. Do you like oysters? 

CC: Yes, well people seem to love you. I want to remind our readers that this interview was done with zero conditions in place, nothing is off the table.

This time of year, you must be very busy, Josh. Can you tell us a little about your relationship with Christmas?

JC: Sure. I recently asked my disciples on Twitter, what does Christmas mean to you? The top five answers were: a day off from work, gifts/presents, being with family, good food, and snow; mostly commercialism type of answers. 

CC: I see. And what does Christmas mean to you? 

JC: Shout out to The Tunic Company, and The Sandal Company. Without them I wouldn't be able to buy the expensive equipment needed to produce new content for my channel, #Miracle. 

Christmas, nowadays, is all about gifts, it is purely commercial. People don't know the true meaning. Unfortunately, however, back around 300 AD, shortly after Constantine created Christmas, I started living the crucifixion over and over again. Christmas after Christmas. I am sure you can imagine that is not a pleasant experience. It's exhausting actually. 

Someone in the background: "Josh, please stick to the script."

CC: My apologies. Let's change the subject. Have you ever recognized your face in toast or Doritos? 

JC: Good question! No. I have not experienced that, but I do moderate the Facebook page, "Jesus in toast." 

CC: I'll admit I am not schooled in the details of Christmas. I thought it celebrated your birth- not death- no? I hate to bring it up again, but what was the crucifixion like? There is an anonymous source claiming that you were on the cross for eight hours before you died. Is that true? 

JC: Shout out to Ap-Uhl Watch for their amazing product. I have always loved watches. But to answer your question, I don't know how long I was up there. Probably Mathew or Mark, maybe Luke could answer that question. Subscribe to my socials- #Miracle. 

CC: Right. Nowadays you are an influencer. Tell us about that.

JC: It took me a long time to be able to think of myself as an influencer. I didn’t know anybody who did that. I knew content creators who played around with social media, maybe on the weekends, but I didn’t know anybody who was an influencer. It felt like something that was out of my reach. So, I started out in consulting, I think, as a way to scratch that itch.

CC: Right. Which came first, the subscribers or the sponsors? Also, I want to touch on your arrest and trial for blasphemy and tax evasion. 

JC: I really can't comment. I can only say that I had to search deep within my heart and spirit to move to a new plateau in my life. The subscribers came first.

CC: There have been scandalous allegations made by your doubters. I have to ask you; do you take part in human trafficking? There have been allegations that you eat spaghetti with pineapple. What other skeletons do you have in the closet?

JC: That guy is an asshole. People will oppress each other-- man against man, neighbor against neighbor. The young will rise up against the old, the base against the honorable. Anyone who is too visionary or too innovative is accused of not playing by the rules. I'd hate to lose followers, lose money, lose influence because of lies. 

LIES. I'd like to quote my old friend Adolf Hitler, "Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it and eventually they will believe it." 

That stuff really makes me mad! That asshole can rot in Hell. He does NOT want to mess with me.

Someone in the background: "Josh, calm down, focus, please stick to the script."

CC: Yikes! Suddenly this interview has gotten serious. You know what I have always wondered, how does one turn water into wine?

JC: Dude! It's funny that you ask about that because recently on my YouTube channel I tried to replicate the process. First of all, the conditions need to be perfect, you need very clean water. A long, long time ago the water was much cleaner. 

You can watch it on my YouTube channel, 'M1racles'. Unfortunately, 'miracles' with an I was taken, so I use 'M1racles' with a one instead. 

CC: Genius. You mentioned oysters earlier. My last question is about The Last Supper. Ironically my friends and I keep a list of foods for our, metaphorical, last supper. What is on your list? What was on your list? 

Someone in the background: "Josh, please stick to the script- read page 7 for the correct answer."

JC: Mary, my mom, used to make something similar to what we call a pot pie today. Instead of chicken, though, she filled it with figs, and dates, sometimes olives. Olives are the one thing that can take me back to living in Judea. Dude, food is a time machine.

CC: Absolutely, What else did you have for your Last supper? 

JC: Gosh it has been so long since I thought about it. Umm, Bacon?  I would love bacon at my next Last Supper. Maybe a full breakfast of pancakes, bacon & sausage, scrambled eggs with American cheese and strawberries. 

Someone in the background: "Wrong answer Josh! Did you prepare at all for this interview?"

December 20, 2023 17:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Philip Ebuluofor
15:09 Dec 31, 2023

Congrats. Like that here too. Every family now has their own Jesus. Jesus of this or that town was on vogue in 90s, now its each family with their own Jesus. That is the page we are in now in Nigeria.

Reply

12:02 Jan 01, 2024

Thank you for reading my story. Wow. I can’t believe someone from so far away has not only read my little story but also shares a similar experience with JC. -CC

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
17:48 Jan 01, 2024

My pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:06 Dec 30, 2023

What if JC were an influencer in today’s world? I love the fact that he would have to resort to advertising and promoting products to gain followers. Also the voice in the background keeping him on script was a great touch. Who’s managing JC’s image? Irreverent and fun. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the short list.

Reply

12:52 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you Michelle. You are so right! -CC

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:41 Dec 30, 2023

This is so funny and unique! You get the voices so spot on. A new world religious leader would speak the language of the time, woukdnt they? sign me up for the Merry Joshers!

Reply

11:39 Dec 30, 2023

Scott- thank you so much! I thought it was funny- when I asked my husband if he thought it was funny he said, “a little.” It means a lot to me that you read it, and took the time to write a comment. -CC

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
07:33 Jan 03, 2024

I think formatting this as an interview was very smart. I appreciated that you created a tone that was both unique and striking. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aeris Walker
18:57 Dec 31, 2023

Hi Clara! Congrats on the shortlist. I love seeing the experimental structures people come up with here, from lists, letters, tests, diary entries, etc., but this "influencer interview" was a new one. Very clever. You perfectly nailed the tone of the modern influencer/podcaster/youtuber who bends more to the pressures of the sponsors and followers than their inner desire to create meaningful and genuine content. It's a weird world we live in.

Reply

11:57 Jan 01, 2024

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:15 Dec 29, 2023

Very interesting format!

Reply

01:38 Dec 30, 2023

Thank you for reading. -CC

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:49 Dec 29, 2023

ADD, maybe? :-) Wonderfully all over the place. "Christmas is too commercial shout out to ..." Congratulations on the short list. Well done.

Reply

20:34 Dec 29, 2023

Thank you Trudy! I’m shocked that this piece was shortlisted. 😁

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:52 Dec 29, 2023

But you'll take the shock, won't you? :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Webb Johnson
19:43 Dec 22, 2023

Hi Clara - I looked for your story because of the very kind words you had for Pheasant Under Glass. I have to say you out-funnied me. It's impious but somehow reverential as if Jesus might chuckle along with the rest of us at the raillery. Bravo.

Reply

11:43 Dec 23, 2023

Thank you for reading my story and your kind words. -CC

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:00 Dec 21, 2023

Well, certainly a different take. Very modern. Thanks for liking 'Words' and the follow.

Reply

22:00 Dec 21, 2023

Mary thank you so much for reading my little story. I’m just now exploring the writing thing…. -CC

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:16 Dec 22, 2023

Looks like you are following some very good writers who will be very helpful. I still consider myself a newbie. Congrats on the shortlist. Great start for someone just starting out!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.