Becca On The Train

Submitted into Contest #168 in response to: Start your story with someone looking out a train window.... view prompt

0 comments

American Fiction Friendship

As the train starts moving, May looks out the window, her face growing pale.

“Are you okay?” Steve asks, concerned, leaning towards her.

“I-I think I ate too many strawberries…” she replies weakly, a hand over her mouth.

Bucky closes his eyes, head shaking, unimpressed.

Why did she eat so close to boarding?

That appetite of hers…

“Switch seats with me,” Steve offers, getting up. “You’ll feel better if you’re looking forward.”

“Thanks, Stevie,” she manages in a weak voice.

Bucky, worried, stares at May beside him, before frowning.

“You better not throw up on me,” he mumbles, locking eyes with her.

“I’m too gracious to throw up…” she mumbles him, a faint smile across her face.

Bucky can’t help but burst out laughing at the lie, and May squints at him, before looking out the window again. 

What is so funny?

She mightn’t be “gracious” all the time, but she isn’t a brute either!

Bucky suddenly gets up and slides the glass window open, looking down at May.

“Is that better, doll?” he asks.

She  smiles weakly, taking a deep breath, before nodding.

“Thanks, Buck.”

As Bucky gets back to his seat, May makes herself comfortable beside him, her eyes closing. 

The fresh air does help… 

She opens her eyes again, her hair blowing in the wind. She takes a deep breath, feeling her stomach settle at last, and she mechanically tucks the wavy strand of hair behind her left ear.

“Why didn’t Jane join us?” Becca asks eventually, curious. May stares at her, eyebrows raised in surprise. “Well… It’s actually better that way,” the teenage girl goes on, her head cocking. “It won’t be awkward when we meet your exes.”

Bucky and Steve glance at May, eyebrows pinched, as she shakes her head and smirks.

“What are you talking about, cielo?” May asks, massaging her temples.

“Oh come on!” Becca cries out, leaning forward in her seat. “You have to introduce us to your Canadian ex-boyfriends.”

Bucky shifts in his seat, his arms crossing over his chest.

“Not happening,” May refuses categorically.

“Ex-girlfriends work too,” the young girl whispers, hiding her mouth with the back of her hand, and winks.

May chuckles, looking away.

“Maybe May never dated anyone in Canada,” Steve suggests, turning to Becca, shrugging.

“Oh please…” the teenager rolls her eyes, unimpressed. 

May places a hand over her mouth to try and muffle her laughter. 

Becca can be so nosy at times!

“I know you don’t date much,” Becca goes on, locking eyes with her friend. “But I refuse to believe you never dated anyone before coming to New York!”

“Well…” she starts calmly, shrugging. “Maybe I’m more innocent than you think.”

Bucky snorts, and May smirks, swiftly elbowing him in the ribs. He immediately clears his throat, composing himself. 

As Becca carefully watches the dynamic between May and her big brother, her head cocks.

“Oh please, please, please…” the teenager blurts out, nonetheless, a look of disgust twisting across her face. “Don’t tell me your first was Bucky—” 

May's eyes open wide, as she almost jumps off her seat, propping herself up onto her hands to shut Becca up, when Bucky beats her to it. He swiftly kicks the teenage girl right in the shin to silence her.

“Argh!” Becca cries, bending over to massage her leg, glaring at him, furious. 

“Bucky!” Steve groans, protectively placing a hand over Becca’s back. “Watch it!”

“Sorry,” he falsely apologises, rolling his eyes to the back of his head, before turning to May. 

She furrows her brow, thoughtful, her hand over her mouth. Bucky can read her like an open book—

How the hell does Becca know about them? 

He looks down at his feet and mutters “I don’t know,” his long fingers hiding his lips.

“Anyway,” Steve starts, smiling at Becca, as he strokes her head. “What were you saying?”

May and Bucky stare at him, incredulous. 

Why can’t he just leave it?

“Oh look, Stevie!” May cries out, pointing out the window. “Doesn’t that field of poppies remind you of Monet’s paintings?”

Bucky smirks, as his best friend looks out the window, his brow shooting to his forehead. 

May knows exactly what to say to distract him! 

“It does actually!” Steve agrees, pinching his chin with his thumb and index finger.

“You should take a mental note,” May suggests nonchalantly. “You might want to draw it later.”

Becca, glaring at him, suddenly catches Bucky’s attention.

“You know,” she tells him in a whisper. “I was only kidding, but your reaction got me thinking…”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he lies, looking away.

“Yes, you do!” she smiles evilly, and he stares at her blankly. “You’ll have to buy my silence.”

“No,” he refuses, head shaking slowly. “You’ll keep quiet, if you don’t wanna hurt them.”

Bucky points at May and Steve with his chin. Becca looks over at her friends, thoughtful.

Steve and May are having a passionate conversation about French Impressionist painting—Boring!

“No,” Becca argues, facing Bucky again. “You’ll buy my silence, if you don’t wanna hurt them.” 

Bucky frowns at her, sitting back in his seat. 

When did she become such a brat?

At that very moment, a man in a white-and-red-stripe outfit reaches their booth, pushing a cart full of candies. 

Becca locks eyes with Bucky, smiling like a bully. He sighs heavily, knowing only too well where this is going.

“Can I get you anything, ladies and gentlemen?” the man asks cheerfully, showing off his products.

May and Steve pause their conversation to look over at the candy man.

“Yes,” Becca replies, jumping off her seat. “My big brother, here,” she pats Bucky on the shoulder. “Told me I could have anything I want!”

Steve and May stare at Bucky, surprised, eyebrows shooting to their hairlines.

“How wonderful!” the candy man rejoices, over the moon. “Please, please, have a closer look, Miss!”

Becca grins, innocently approaching the cart to take her pick—Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Paydays, Red Hots, 5th Avenues, Boston Baked Beans, Candy Buttons, Big Hunks, and Chick-O-Sticks.

“Oh, wait, Becca!” May joins in, excited. “Get some Sugar Babies too!”

Bucky turns to May, head cocking.

“Don’t encourage her, doll…” he begs, unimpressed, and she looks up at him with big puppy eyes, brow furrowed.

“But I love Sugar Babies,” May cries out, holding onto his grey shirt with both hands. “Please, Buck!”

He can't help but stare at her big brown eyes and sigh. 

How adorable… 

How could he ever say “no” to her? 

“Fine,” he concedes, hiding a smile, trying his best to keep his serious face on.

May grins, getting to her feet to grab her candies, before turning back to Bucky, her puppy eyes even cuter and brighter.

“And this?” she asks, showing him a bottle of Coca-Cola.

“Sure,” he nods, reaching for his wallet.

May grins, happy, sitting back down beside Bucky.

“Me too then!” Becca announces, grabbing a Coke. “Steve, do you want one? Buck’s buying!”

“Yeah, sure thing,” he replies calmly. “Thanks, Buck!”

Bucky rolls his eyes, and Becca smirks, delighted with herself.

What else could she do to piss her big brother off?

Becca goes on her tiptoes, glancing over the cart, at the opposite booth.

“Daddy! Sarah!” she cries.

They pause their conversation, simultaneously turning to face her.

“Yes, sweetie?” George replies, raising his eyebrows. “What is it?”

“Bucky’s getting sweets and drinks for everyone,” she announces joyfully, locking eyes with her brother.

Bucky shakes his head, disapprovingly. 

That little brat!

“Take your pick!” Becca goes on, giggling, ignoring her brother to face her father and Sarah again.

“How wonderful!” Sarah chirps, clapping her hands.

Sarah grins at George, excitingly getting to her feet to go through the range of candies. She grabs two bars of Toblerone and two bottles of Coke, which she waves at George. 

“You read my mind, Sarah!” he rejoices, nodding approvingly.

George winks at Sarah, who giggles, before turning to Bucky.

“Thank you, sweetheart!” she tells him in a soft voice. “You’re very good.”

“You’re welcome, Sarah,” Bucky mutters, sighing. “I didn’t really have much of a choice, though...” 

Bucky locks eyes with his sister, and Becca smirks, proud.

“Oh Becca,” May cries out, as Bucky readies himself to pay the candyman. “Get a Coke for Bucky too.”

“No, thank you, doll,” he argues, turning to face her. “I don’t want one.”

“Yes, you do,” May disagrees, placing a hand over his shoulder. “We’re all having some.”

“And we aren’t sharing,” Steve adds boldly.

Bucky sighs. 

Fine, he guesses he will have a Coke too then!

At last, Bucky nods at the candyman—who couldn’t be happier—before paying for everything. The man walks away, pushing his cart to the next booth, whistling.

“Thanks, Bucky,” May chirps, excited about all the sugar she is about to have.

Bucky crosses his arms over his chest, a smile spreading from the corners of his lips. 

What a child!

“Don’t eat too much, doll,” he warns. “Or you’ll get sick.”

May opens her packet of Sugar Babies and casually brings some to her lips.

“I won’t,” she reassures him, sucking in a Sugar Baby. “Want some?”

Bucky surreptitiously looks May up and down, before nodding.  He extends a hand, and she happily pours a couple of Sugar Babies on his open palm.

October 17, 2022 13:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.