Coffee From Heaven

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Romance

The air was crisp and the sun felt just warm enough for Mitch to not need his hoodie he had brought with him. He was waiting for PumpkinSpice407 to meet him in the parking lot of Weck’s Apple Orchard. He was a bit nervous meeting someone he had never seen before, but he was also hopeful. Could PumkinSpice407 be his future? He would soon find out. 

He would know it was her by the yellow scarf she said she would wear today. He had on his green baseball cap so she would be able to find him. All at once, he felt doubt. This was probably going to be a waste of both their times. He could remember a time when this doubt was a foreign feeling. A time when he was truly happy.

It had been a few years since his wife, Denise had passed away from cancer. He could still remember the last time they had been to this apple orchard, 5 years ago. When things were good. They had no idea that 7 months later, she would detect the lump that would end their lives together. 

Mitch had met Denise in college when they were both taking History 102 in a huge lecture hall and he had accidently bumped her as he was squeezing down a row to get his own seat. She had turned around and said, “ hey....watch it!”

 Mitch turned to see the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. He had blushed and mumbled a quick....”uh..sorry.” The next day while returning to his seat, he saw her again.  This time, he was prepared with a tall coffee. “Excuse me, I thought you might enjoy this drink. I am really sorry for bumping you yesterday. My name’s, Mitch, by the way.” She had gratefully accepted his apology and from then on, that sat together. 

After graduation, Mitch had proposed by hiding an engagement ring in a tall cup of coffee and giving it to her one morning at breakfast. Denise had almost choked on it, but quickly realized what it was and quickly said, “YES!!!” 

They had been married for 3 years when the lump was detected. Mitch missed her everyday and while he was still mourning her, he felt that she would want him to be happy again.  

While standing in the parking lot, he let out a silent prayer to God and to Denise. He thought:

I know that I was blessed with many great years with Denise, but I am praying that I can be blessed again. These past couple years have been so hard for me. I wake up everyday wishing Denise was beside me. I am hoping that I can start again. Please, dear God, make this day go well. If possible, show me a sign that Denise is ok with this. I miss her so much, but if she doesn’t approve, I would really like to know. I know she would want me to be happy, so please give me a sign if PumpkinSpice407 is the one for me.

______________________________________

Waking up this morning, she felt the oh to familiar excitement that she always felt when she finally met someone from the dating site. Usually that excitement would fizzle out as she would soon realize the profile had been a lie. This would be the 13th date in the past 3 months. 

Holly was ready for a committed relationship. She wanted to meet Mr. Right and become Mrs. Right. At 32, she was ready to start a family and begin that next chapter in her life. 

Holly got in her car and with a sense of anticipation turned the key. The engine purred to life and the heater began to blow. Holly thought back to her last date. What a disaster! His username had been Hot2Trot643. That should have been a warning sign. This guy was definitely NOT HOT!! He was 54 and married! Unfortunately, she hadn’t realized this until she had finished dinner and they had walked to their cars. When she saw his minivan with a car seat and sports equipment all over the back seat, she had started to wonder. 

Hot2Trot643, or Howard as she had learned told her that he was married and that he and his wife had an open marriage. Holly didn’t know what to say. Their dinner had been awkward from the start. When Holly saw him walk in, she was surprised to see the man  wearing the green tie that they had discussed so she would know it was him. He looked nothing like his profile picture. The hair that he had was light brown, true. But there was very little of it. He was also barely 5’7’. He also looked A LOT older than 35. 

She was about to take her yellow scarf off, but he saw her. Too late! He came over and introduced himself. Holly was so taken aback that she almost got up and said that she wasn’t interested. Instead, she decided to give him a chance.

Needless to say, it was 2 hours of her life she would never get back. 

As she turned the corner, she realized that she had not had her daily cup of coffee, and if she was going to be up for this date with CiderHouse22 she was going to need to caffeinate. She turned into her favorite coffee house drive threw and ordered her usual. When she when to pick up her coffee, Brad handed her 2 tall cups. 

“I didn’t order both of these.” Holly said. “I know,” Brad replied. “The lady who ordered before you said she wanted you to have it. Weird, huh?” 

Holly did think it was a bit strange. Usually when people did the good deed in the coffee line, it meant that they would pay for the cars order, not order them an extra cup of coffee! Ughhh.

“Well I guess I can take it.” Holly said. “Thanks” Brad answered. “I was asked by the lady to make sure you took it. So.....here you go.”

Holly grabbed both cups and placed them in her cup holders. What a weird thing, she thought.

She made her way to the orchard and turned into the lot. She grabbed her yellow scarf and wrapped it around her neck. I better go out and see if CiderHouse22 is here. She got out of the car and began looking for the guy with the green baseball cap, as they had planned. 

__________________________________________

As he opened his eyes, he noticed a Green Honda Accord pull into the lot. A woman with light brown hair pulled up and found a parking spot not too far from his. He looked over, but didn’t notice a yellow scarf. He turned away and was about to text PumpkinSpice407, when he looked up and saw the lady from the green Accord wrap a yellow scarf around her neck. This must be her! 

She slowly walked around her car and came up to him. “CiderHouse22?” she asked. 

Mitch looked at her and realized she was using his user name profile. “PumpkinSpice407?” he smiled. She looked so nervous. 

“Actually, my name is Holly. What is your name? “She asked.

“Hi, I’m Mitch. It is nice to finally meet you. Want to head into the orchard?”

She smiled, “sounds good, but can you help me get something from my car? I didn’t want to take it out until I knew for sure you were here.”

“Sure no problem!”

They walked the 20 feet to her car. She quickly walked around to the passenger side and went in to retrieve something. When she came out, she was holding 2 large cups of coffee. 

“I would have been here sooner, but I figured we could use something to keep us warm for the Hayride. Before we start apple picking. I got you a tall one, hope you like coffee?” She asked.

Mitch looked at Holly and smiled. “I love coffee.”

He said a silent thank you to his beloved, Denise up above.

October 13, 2020 15:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Reuben Krieger
00:25 Oct 20, 2020

I really liked the ending with your symbolism and Denise. Overall, A really great love story!!

Reply

Regina Krieger
00:28 Oct 20, 2020

Thanks! I was going for the "match made in heaven" theme!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.