0 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction

December 1941

The war began for us in the early morning hours when Japanese planes attacked Pearl Harbor. My heart breaks for the many lives lost. Now we are entering a war many of us wanted to avoid. In my heart I knew this day would come and now the only man I ever loved is going off to war.

As I sit and listen to the devastation at Pearl Harbor, I hold in my hands a music box given to me by my mother who gave it to my father when he went to fight in the Great War. Within the contents of the music box is a special melody that when you open it you will be transfixed by the sweet sound.

My father has told me many times the music box saved his life because my mother was always with him. A piece of her was always with my father. I hope for me and Joseph the music box carries the same hope and love that it did for my parents.

Later that evening Joseph arrives back home. I jump into his arms hugging and kissing him. Joseph puts me down and tells me "Its time Julia." Those words I dreaded for so long has finally caught up with me. I hug Joesph once more and give him the music box.

"I tell Joseph "This music box is very special keep it with you where ever you go because I will be with you. In your heart and in your soul. I will never leave. Forever with you."

Joseph takes the music box, carefully puts in his pack and kisses me goodbye. With tears in my eyes I wave goodbye. I don't know when I will ever see Joseph again.

July 2022

For as long as I can remember, the story of the music box has been part of my life. I remember the day I first saw the music box. It was unlike anything I ever seen.

When I opened the music box the most beautiful and mesmerizing sound came out. I danced and danced until my grandmother caught me. She smiled and asked me what I'm doing? Then she saw the music box.

My grandmother told me "The music box has magical powers." I laughed. I was a kid. I believed my grandmother. But now I'm older and I want to know more about the music box and the special meaning it holds for my grandmother.

Every time I look at the music box and today is no different, I'm transport to a time of beauty and magic, a place of happiness and love, a place where I feel safe, in the arms of Mason, a man I loved for so long.

In Mason's arms I feel I can do anything, be anyone and the music box makes me believe that Mason will always be with me. Could it be the music box is having a profound effect on me?

There was a time only for a short time I believed the music box, all its magic, hope happiness and love was not real. This was a time when my father was deployed with the military. I was scared my father was never going to come home. My mother put the music box on top of the table and turned it on. The beautiful sound of the music put me to sleep.

My mother did this over the course of the next two weeks and before I knew it something magical happened. My father came home. I was shocked and beyond happy. The power of the music box worked. I asked my mother "How did this happened?" She replied "The music box has special powers."

The same answer my grandmother gave and this is the reason why I want to know more about the music box.

One day during my search for answers about the music box I asked my mother how the music box came to be? and why it holds a special meaning for my grandmother? In my. mother's words.

"The music box was my grandmother's. She gave it to my grandfather when he went to fight in the Great War. My grandmother believed the music box would bring her husband home and it did. Then after the attack at Pearl Harbor My grandmother gave the music box to her daughter, your grandmother and told her to give it to the one you love. So, grandma gave the music box to grandpa when he went to the pacific. He kept it with him every single day during his most difficult times. He fought to live, to come home and he did it all because of the music box."

The story my mother told me is amazing. Both my great grandmother and grandmother put so much hope and faith into the music box and into their husbands and you know what they made it home alive or else I wouldn't be here.

Then I wonder why my mother didn't give the music box to my father. She told me "Your father asked me to keep the music box for you. To bring you comfort in times of great pain."

My father is one selfless man always thinking about me and what makes me happy. My father was right the music box did bring me comfort, something I never knew could happen.

In my quest to find the meaning of the music box, I've come to learn more about myself and my family. I've learned my family has a fierce love of one another and for me I discovered the music box is an important part of my life because it brought my father home. The sweet sound of the music box comforted me and made me believe in miracles. But I feel like something is missing and I can't put my finger on what it is.

I hold the music box in my hands thinking about the missing piece I have yet to find. I open the music box. The sweet beautiful melody comes out. I close my eyes and once again I'm transport to a time of love and happiness. The love and happiness I see is that of my grandparents.

I see my grandparents dancing to the beautiful melody of the music box. I see them laughing and smiling at each other. Wow such a beautiful moment.

Then I see my mother and father dancing to the beautiful melody of the music box. My mother was always the better dancer. She made my father into a better dancer.

Maybe this is what I needed to see. How the wonderful beauty of the music box brought my parents and grandparents closer.

When I see the music box, I see myself and Mason dancing to the melody and in his arms, I feel safe and happy.

"The music box is a wonder."

I turn around and see my grandmother. I smile at her and tell her.

"The music box transport me three times to a place of beauty and magic, a place of happiness and love, in Mason's arms and then I was transport to the time you and grandpa were dancing and then to mom and dad. What does it all mean? The music box brought you guys closer. How?"

"I will tell you a story about the music box that's been with me for a long time just as the music box has been in this family for a long time and has been past down to each generation."

My grandmother begins her story.

"The magic of the music box began when my mother gave the music box to my father. My father didn't understand why my mother gave him the music box until my mother explained the meaning of the music box. My father took the music box with him to France and kept it with him throughout the remaining years of the war. Years later when I was a young girl, I asked my father about the music box. He opened the music box and the most beautiful sound came out. I start to dance. My father smiled and while I danced, he told me mama gave the music box when I went to fight in the Great War. I didn't understand what the music box meant. Then your mama told me to take the music box, hold it close to your heart for inside this very special gift holds a most special melody which will keep you safe and warm and know I will be with you forever. I had tears in my eyes when my father finished telling me the story. When it was my turn to give the music box to grandpa., I knew the magic will bring him back home to me and it did. For your mother it was different. Although your father didn't take the music box with him, the music box did something special it brought you comfort and happiness when your father came home. So, you see the music box is not special because it came from our family, the true power of the music box lies within the music."

That was an amazing story, I thank my grandmother and hug her. I finally realize the stories I heard from my mother and grandmother are the same and I couldn't put two and two together until the very end. It was never the gift that matter but the music. The true magic of the music box lies within the beautiful melody.

When the time comes for me to give Mason the music box, I will tell him the beautiful and magical legacy this amazing gift holds. My love, our love will always be here.

The greatest gift anyone can give is music and the greatest stories comes from family.

July 13, 2022 22:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.