1 comment

Inspirational

April 6, 1999

A little girl's bedroom

Hey there! It's me, younger you. I am Maria, in case you changed the name later. If you do, please let it be Moana, like the princess! Today in school they made us learn how to write a freindly letter. Everyone thought it was boring, they said we were bigger than a friendly letter-FYI, we are 5th graders now. However, I didn't tell them that I didn't know how to write one. Belle and Laila would've made fun of me forever. They always call me names. Mom said I should just laugh it off. So I do. And convince me that I know I am specail no matter what they say. Grandma said so, remmember? Our grandma said so. Our homework was to write to someone specail to us. So I wrote it for you, for myself. Everybody in the class instantly chooses someone from there to write for. And I decided to choose myself. Maybe if I succeed in inventing the time machine, I would've sent this letter to you. I told my teacher that this was my dream, but the class laughed at me. I laughed it off again as a joke, but I know it isn't. I heard 2 girls talking about how dumb I was to think it was a joke. My teacher said to me, "Mary, or Maria whatever your name is, you can't even score on a 1st grader test paper. And you expect to accomplish that silly dream of yours?" I guess she was right. I, for real, can't even score on their test, but I wasn't dumb. I know that. I am smart, but I just couldn't find my way yet. Before our last meeting, grandma told me that every goal is destined to be accomplished. She said "You can't think of the impossible. So if you do, it is possible. And as long as you solely believe you'd try, your dreams will be reached no matter what,". I wish I could tell them that I want to invent the time machine to see my grandmother again. I heard about something called NASA. My friends told me that NASA can help me go follow my dream. "But i doubt they will even interview you," Belle said. But i really didn't care then, i just wanted NASA to help me for whatever it costs. My dad said he could pay NASA to help me, but i told him that i will get my own money and become rich. He smiled at me warmly, was that funny? Anyway, mom is calling me now for dinner. If the letter ever reaches you, write back quickly.

Younger you,

Me.

"After 18 years"

December 9, 2017

The U.S.A, New York City

Dear Maria,

Or should I say, dear Amelia? I changed my name a year ago when I was hired by NASA. I must work in utmost secret so I had to get a nickname that the public and my co-workers could call me. Only a few people in NASA know my real name. Even when "I" make a public appearance, I never appear by my face. BTW also, NASA doesn't get paid to help you. I can't believe your-my- letter was kept this long in my attic. I can't even believe it was there with me when I changed places. I don't who put it in my boxes but I will forever be thankful. Anyway, grandma was lying. Not all dreams are destined to be reached, at least not by you. Some dreams are left behind for someone else and that's okay. Because you tried and that's what really matters. However, I couldn't scientifically prove that a time machine is possible. But if I did invent it, I would've told you to slap Belle, Laila, the teacher, and anyone who dares to laugh at you. I would've told you to tell them that yes maybe my "silly dream" isn't possible in my timeline, but I tried. Because I choose to satisfy myself. Just so you know, I am proud of you- technically me- that I didn't listen to what they said. Look at how the tables have turned, you are a rich, famous, and successful NASA worker. I am taking English courses now. Remember how i used to get yelled at a lot in English classes? But did you know, I learned Japanese in less than 6 months only?. I am very clever at it. And i knew that. I knew that if I am not smart in English, I will be smart in someplace else. Because I am special, not dumb. I want to tell you something else, losing someone is okay. It can happen always. To all the people around the world. But obsessing over the idea won't help you or them. I knew I was always a weird kid. I never was that affected by outer opinions, no matter if it's good or bad. But I know how I felt when grandma died. But building a whole life future for seeing her again is not okay. If I could have a chance to work on inventing the time machine again, I would do it for myself. P.S you made me remember to call mom, she is coming this weekend to visit me and I wanna taste her food again. I am sorry I can't tell you to write back. Bye Maria.

Sincerely Grateful,

Older You

(note down)

(Note 1: The aim behind this story is really hidden in the details. She wasn’t a special kid at all, even her names are basic. She didn’t live in particular unique/ different circumstances and she wasn’t that much affected by bullying. Because it’s a letter, I couldn’t clearly show that. But she made herself special. Despite not reaching her dream. But learned to move on instead. So what I want to say is that yes, maybe not all of us are born “special” already. But you can change that. And the ability to change that is itself special)

(Note 2: Grammatical and spelling mistakes are purposely in both letters to show how she wasn’t really a smart kid in English but is trying to improve. In the second letter, there aren’t many mistakes.)

May 19, 2022 11:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Maryam Ahmed
17:39 May 20, 2022

@Madelaine Roberts, Is this story more clear?

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.