2 comments

Drama Romance

Abigail took one last look in the mirror. She saw the person she always knew.

Making a little wave with her left hand she said, “Aloha.”

The taxi driver honked his horn. Abigail turned and left.

Ten minutes before, her Aunt Maryann saw her looking in the mirror.

“Abby! Stop staring at yourself. You look fabulous!”

Abigail turned to her. “Thanks Auntie. I know. I love this dress.”

“It’s your wedding day, Abby. You look worried.”

Abigail looked down. “I see a person in that mirror who I’ve known all my life. I don’t know when I’ll see her again. Or if.”

“What’s wrong, dear? What do you need?”

“I don’t know.”

“You’ve been looking forward to this day for so long. Don’t you love Kulani?”

“Of course. He’s the best. But it’s all too much. Today I’m who I always was. Comfortable in my own skin. I sleep with a teddy bear. I have my music. I'm where I belong... at home.”

“Yeah?”

“So, tomorrow, who will I be? My name will be different. My address. I’ll be a stranger, a foreigner...”

“Well, another culture, maybe. But it is a state. Hawaii is an island paradise.”

“Alcatraz is an island.”

Maryann took a long look at Abigail.

“What’s really going on? You love Hawaii.”

Abigail refocused. She counted her suitcases.

“What have I forgotten?”

She ran up the stairs, holding her dress up so she wouldn’t trip.

Abigail couldn’t concentrate. She looked around her room. Everything had its place. But it wasn’t hers anymore. Would she ever see it again?

Her teddy bear watched from the bed. Should she bring it? She’s a woman now.

Abigail turned away, distraught. It was all too much.

Taking care not to trip, she descended the stairs. Maryann's look held a question.

“No. There’s nothing else I need.”

Maryann didn’t quite believe her. “You’re sure? The cab will be here any moment. Look, if you remember anything, I can send it to you.”

“You would?”

“Of course! Text me your address as soon as you're settled.”

Abigail got distracted by the mirror again. Maryann touched her shoulder.

“What is it, Abby?”

“I worry that I don’t have a freckle out of place.”

“Because of Kulani?”

“No. He’s great. He loves me no matter what. It’s his Mama.”

“Oh… She's tough?”

“I’ll spend my life trying to measure up.”

“She’s protective of her son.”

“Yeah, don’t tell her about my tat.”

“You have a tattoo?”

Abigail pulled at the shoulder of the dress to reveal a hummingbird tattoo. Maryann grunted.

“Ask about her wedding. Find common ground.”

“What if there isn’t any? She’s supposedly got royal blood somewhere in her.”

“She’s jealous. I mean, you’re from Hollywood.”

“Yeah, Namaste, bitch! Aloha this!”

“Didn’t you used to go out with what’s-his-name?”

“Yeah, what’s-his-name. Twenty-one and he's already a has-been. I think he’s in rehab now. No future in being a child star.”

“I’m glad you moved on. He was a nice kid. But not for you.”

“Yeah, I was too young to be his mother. But anyway, I’m not going to detail my love life before Kulani. The official story for Mama Dearest is Kulani’s the only guy I ever even talked to.”

“Where's the honeymoon?”

“Kulani found us a cottage on the North-shore. Walk to the beach. It'll be sweet.”

Maryann raised her hands in praise. “Oh, Matsumoto’s Shave Ice!”

“Once I start eating his shave ice, I’ll really never wear this dress again.”

“You’ll fall into that Aloha vibe before you know it.”

That’s what I don’t get. What is it with 'aloha'? It means both ‘hello’ and ‘good-bye’? How does that work?”

Maryann smiled, “It’s more of an attitude than ‘hello’… Like shalom in Hebrew, peace.”

“With aloha I won’t know if I’m coming or going.”

“Either way, it is offered in peace…”

Abigail finally found the words. “Aunt Mary, it all feels so sacrificial. I mean, here I am trussed up in a dress I’ll never wear again. Led down the aisle like an offering.”

“It’s a ritual done to affirm what you two have known for what, a year? Covenants are a public declaration…”

“So long as they don’t toss me into a volcano.”

“I don’t think they ever did that, honey. But you two will make a nation of two. You'll stand together and protect each other as one against all…”

“But that’s it. How does two join to make one? I feel like I’m giving up way more than half.”

“Maybe you’re looking at it wrong. Not what you’re giving up, but what you’re combining?”

Abigail struggled for the analogy.

“When one cell divides, you end up with two complete cells, but…”

Maryann countered, “But when an egg gets fertilized, it takes on qualities of both…”

“You don’t get it, Aunt Maryann. I feel like I’m leaving behind everything I know. My home, my friends, my name… Me! What’s left of me?”

They heard a horn honk. It was the cab.

“Oh no!” Abigail looked panicked. She wanted to hide.

The doorbell rang.

Maryann gave Abigail's hand a squeeze. She opened the door. The driver introduced himself and Maryann directed him to load Abigail’s luggage. He rolled his eyes when he lifted the biggest one.

Abigail said, “It has wheels.”

He nodded and guided it down the sidewalk. They watched him hoist the bag into the back of the SUV.

Abigail started hyper-ventilating. “I’m not ready! We were talking. I can’t leave yet.”

“You’ll be fine. Pre-marital jitters are nothing new. I think Eve had them.”

The driver returned and picked up the other two bags. “Is this it?”

Abigail hugged Maryann and whispered, “This is it.”

The driver took the bags.

Maryann’s face lit up. “Oh! Your violin… Is it packed?”

“No, it’s upstairs. I didn’t think it would fit my new life style as a housewife.”

“Did Kulani tell you not to bring it?”

“No. He loves my playing. It’s how we met.”

“Why would you give up what brought you together? You must have your music.”

“You think I can?”

“Can? You must!”

Abigail ran up the stairs again to get her violin. It only took a moment. Her teddy bear’s sad eyes followed her movements. She grabbed him and held him close.

“Come on, Tony Bear. We have a flight to catch.”

Navigating the stairs was a challenge with her arms full and skirts lifted.

“These stairs! I’m really never wearing this dress again.”

The driver honked. Maryann smiled. “I’ll see you there.”

Abigail looked in the mirror one last time and made a little wave.

“Aloha.”

She kissed Maryann and ran to the waiting taxi.


June 03, 2020 18:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Pragya Rathore
03:27 Jun 04, 2020

What an amazing story about individuality!! This was brilliantly written and very realistic. Keep up the good work!! Please read and review my stories too:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vrishni Maharaj
11:25 Jun 04, 2020

Lovely!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.