Finding Freedom: A Journey of Self-Discovery and Reinvention

Submitted into Contest #192 in response to: Write a story about someone trying to reinvent themselves after spending a long time in a rut.... view prompt

1 comment

LGBTQ+ Inspirational Contemporary

Raina had always felt like they were stuck in a rut. 

Growing up in a small town in the midwest, they never quite felt like they fit in. They weren't like the other girls who wore dresses and played with dolls, but they also didn't feel like a boy. As they got older, they discovered the term non-binary and everything started to make sense. 

However, even with this newfound understanding, Raina still felt like they were living a life that wasn't really their own.

After graduating from college with a degree in business, Raina got a job at a small marketing firm. It paid well and the work was interesting enough, but Raina still felt like they were just going through the motions. They had always dreamed of being a writer, but that felt like an impossible dream. So, they settled into a routine of going to work, coming home, and watching Netflix until it was time to go to bed.

But one day, Raina had had enough. They realized that they were tired of living a life that didn't feel like their own. So, they made the decision to take a gap year and travel the country in a van. It was a crazy idea, but Raina felt like they needed to do something drastic in order to reinvent themselves and find their passion.

Raina spent months planning and saving up for the trip. They bought a used van and spent weeks converting it into a comfortable living space. They quit their job and said goodbye to their friends and family. 

It was scary to leave everything they knew behind, but Raina knew that this was what they needed to do.

As they drove across the country, Raina started to feel a sense of freedom that they had never experienced before. They were able to go wherever they wanted and do whatever they wanted. They spent their days exploring national parks, meeting new people, and writing.

Writing had always been a passion of Raina's, but they had never had the time or the motivation to really pursue it. But on this trip, Raina found that they were inspired in ways they had never been before. They wrote about the places they visited, the people they met, and their own experiences. They wrote poetry, essays, and short stories. They wrote about their struggles with gender identity and their hopes for the future.

Raina also started to embrace their non-binary identity in a way they had never done before. They cut their hair short and started wearing clothes that made them feel comfortable and confident. They met other queer and trans people on the road and felt like they had found a community that accepted them for who they were.

But it wasn't all easy. There were days when Raina felt lonely and homesick. There were days when they doubted their decision to give up their stable life for this uncertain journey. But whenever they felt like giving up, they reminded themselves of why they had started this journey in the first place.

As the months went by, Raina started to realize that they didn't want to go back to their old life. They didn't want to go back to the routine of working a 9-5 job and feeling unfulfilled. They wanted to keep traveling and writing and living a life that felt authentic to them.

So, they made the decision to keep going. They found odd jobs along the way to make ends meet, but they didn't care about making a lot of money. They cared about living a life that felt like their own.

Raina's journey took them all over the country. They visited the mountains of Colorado, the beaches of California, and the deserts of Arizona. They met people from all walks of life and wrote about their experiences in a way that felt honest and raw.

Eventually, Raina ended up in Portland, Oregon. 

It was a city that had always intrigued them and they decided to stay for a while. They found a community of writers and artists who welcomed them with open arms. They started attending open mic nights and sharing their writing with others. They even got a few pieces published in local magazines.

Raina's time in Portland was transformative. They continued to explore their non-binary identity and found that the city was accepting and supportive of all genders and sexualities. They made friends with other non-binary folks and finally felt like they had found a place where they truly belonged.

But eventually, Raina realized that they couldn't keep traveling forever. They missed their family and friends back home and felt ready to put down roots somewhere. They knew that they wanted to keep writing and living a life that felt authentic to them, but they weren't sure how to do that.

One day, while sitting in a coffee shop, Raina overheard a group of people talking about a new writing workshop that was starting up. They were looking for participants who wanted to work on a book project and Raina felt like it was the perfect opportunity.

They signed up for the workshop and spent the next several months working on their book. It was a memoir about their journey across the country and their struggles with gender identity. It was honest and vulnerable and Raina poured their heart and soul into it.

When the book was finished, Raina felt like they had finally found their purpose. They had reinvented themselves and found a life that felt like their own. They decided to move back to their hometown, but this time with a new perspective and a renewed sense of self.

Raina's book was published and it received critical acclaim. They went on a book tour and spoke at events all over the country. They became an advocate for non-binary and queer rights and used their platform to educate others about the importance of inclusivity and acceptance.

Years later, Raina looked back on their journey and realized that taking that gap year and traveling the country in a van had been the best decision they ever made. It had allowed them to reinvent themselves and find a life that felt authentic and fulfilling. They were grateful for the journey and for the people they had met along the way. And most of all, they were grateful for the courage to take that first step towards the unknown.

April 02, 2023 23:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Chris Miller
08:20 Apr 13, 2023

Dear Cass, Your story was sent to me as part of the Critique Circle. I enjoyed reading it. I'm trying to leave a pro and a con when I respond to stories via the circle, just because that is something that I would find helpful. Pro - A lovely, positive, dream-like story that could really cheer someone up. Con - Maybe give a bit more information about the adversity that Raina experiences to help the audience connect with her more? I hope you are enjoying whatever you are working on. Good luck in the competition.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.