Contest #125 shortlist ⭐️

72 comments

Historical Fiction American Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

According to the Geneva Convention, firing at a medic wearing a clear insignia is considered a war crime.

The rule, by no means, rendered medics invulnerable.

Rowe sprinted across the battlefield. Frozen branches snapped under his boots. Snow broke beneath him, artillery fire shook trees, and the rattling of machine guns echoed throughout the forest. Bullets struck the ground beside his feet as he ran.

He held onto his medical kit, slung around his shoulder, light and low on supplies. Rowe ignored the calls to take cover, sprinting. He stopped to kneel behind a tree—the soldier sitting against it looked up and forced a smile.

“What took you so long, doc?” Harris mumbled.

“Better late,” Rowe grabbed a sulfanilamide packet and bit off the end, “than never, huh?” He spat out the tab of paper, then spritzed the chalk-coloured powder onto Harris’ leg. A bullet had torn through his pants. He’d kept pressure on it, but didn’t have the bandages to wrap himself up.

“How bad is it?” Harris asked. He held onto his rifle, bloodied fingers tapping the stock. “‘Cause I need to stay on the line, doc. Those krauts got it coming when I get back up.”

“If you can walk, you’re fine. Bullet went clean through.”

“Alright!” Harris reached out to pat him on the shoulder. A bullet hit the tree above and tore off a piece of bark. “This is why I like you. Always good news. Now, how about some morphine?”

“I got none,” Rowe said. He tightened the bandage—reused, boiled cloth from the supply station. “Try to keep warm. The blood is going to freeze, and the tear in your clothing won’t do you much good. I’ll see to getting you new pants-”

Medic! 

Rowe exhaled, got to his feet, and ran. An artillery shell landed nearby, knocking him off course. Medic! He stumbled, dazed, nearly falling forward. His ears rang, left and right. The gunfire didn’t stop.

“My hand, oh god. I can’t shoot without my fingers. Doc!”

“I’m here,” Rowe slid into the foxhole, dug five-foot deep. He grabbed a bandage from his kit and took Davis’ hand. The soldier’s fingers, from his ring to his index, hung on by bits of skin. Loose snow coated his helmet.

“They shot off my fingers, doc,” Davis said, trembling, “I was manning the machine gun, and a bullet struck my hand, and then I wasn’t shooting no more. I was so numb I didn’t notice. How am I supposed to fight without my fingers?”

“Think of it as a cheap ticket home.” Rowe wrapped a bandage around the disfigured stubs. “Warm showers, full meals, an actual bed. Ain’t so bad.”

Davis sucked in air through gritted teeth, his other hand punching at the dirt. Artillery exploded nearby. “God damn it! Hurts like a bitch. Do you got morphine?”

“I can’t spare any-”

M…med..medic!

The cry came out broken and wavering. Rowe nodded to himself as he tightened the bandage. He breathed in, out, and stood up. One more. The artillery slowed—the firefight was coming to an end. He ran across the field.

A bullet zipped through the air. It struck his helmet, scraping off the plating. Rowe ducked, running behind the trees, falling to the ground next to the wounded soldier. He reached into his kit for bandages, then froze.

Torn sinew and flesh made for the soldier’s legs. Both were blown off to the hip, shattered bone exposed to cold air. Frazier groaned as he laid in a puddle of blood. Rowe kneeled and grabbed his hand. A light snowfall drifted around them.

“Help me, please, doc. I don’t want to die.”

“I don’t know…are you religious, Frazier? I’ll say a prayer-”

“I don’t want to pray, doc! I have my momma waiting for me back home. I have to go back to her, I’m her only kid.” His breathing picked up, fast and panicked. “Oh, I can’t feel my legs. Please don’t let me die.”

Rowe held onto his hand. With his other, he reached into his pack for a syrette. “Morphine,” he said, “is going to hit you fast. I’ll patch you up, and have you carried to a jeep, got it?” He needled the syrette into Frazier’s neck and pushed down on the tube. His pulse slowed. The breathing relaxed.

“It hurts,” Frazier said. “I’m not going to make it, am I?”

“I’ll do what I can.” Rowe readied a second syrette. He stuck it into Frazier’s neck. “You’ll be right as rain, alright? Just take it easy. I’ll get a letter out to your mom. You don’t need to worry.”

Frazier stared at the sky, his pupils dilated. The twenty-milligrams of morphine sedated him. “I’m cold,” he whispered. His grip weakened. “Goodbye, doc.” Snow rested on his eyes. “Goodbye.”

“Goodbye, Frazier.”

The firefight had ended minutes ago. Rowe sat back. 

Cold, miserable, and alone. But alive.


- - -


Somewhere far off, the Germans bombed the cities of France. The sound echoed for miles on end. Rowe sat awake in his foxhole, listening. If he focused, he could hear the distant thrums of gunfire. Artillery shells. It didn’t take a lot to imagine the humming of planes.

He stared at the trees. Moonlight illuminated the leaves with a silver glow. Would the Germans attack in the dark? He wouldn’t get up if someone called for him. He couldn’t. To see the light leave from another man’s eyes, to hear their breathing pause, then stop, their chest failing to rise, a man helpless to their wounds.

“Hey, doc.” Edward, beside him, nudged his shoulder. “Are you alright?”

Rowe blinked. He took off his helmet and handed it to Edward. “Look at this,” he said. “They finally landed a shot on me—scraped the paint right off.”

“Lucky bastard,” he traced his finger across where the bullet hit. “Go buy a lottery ticket.” Edward handed the helmet back. “You know, they should’ve dropped us all in Germany. I’d parachute down and kill Hitler myself.” He mimicked a stabbing motion. “End the war in time for Christmas. There’d be a whole movie directed after me-”

“Where’s your gloves?” Rowe asked. “Your hands are almost purple.”

“I was…” he looked over his hands, “drying them off when the artillery hit. Then I lost them. I’ll be fine.”

“No, you won’t.” Rowe took off his own. “Take mine, and try to keep your fingers moving, even if it hurts. Get the blood flowing.”

Edward hesitated, then took them. “Thanks,” he said. “You’re a good one to have around. I heard we’re breaking the stalemate tomorrow. Rest for a bit.”

Rowe laid his head back against the dirt, and closed his eyes.

He couldn’t sleep.


- - -


At dawn, the commanding officer ordered them to move forward. Canadian reinforcements arrived by truck—they planned to route the Germans back and then some, securing a small town off the borders of Belgium. 

Rowe followed with his med-kit slung over his shoulder. Hardly resupplied. Enough to last the assault in the best-case scenario. He ran as bullets flew, his company pushing into enemy lines. The Germans retreated into the town northeast, and the allied forces followed.

The first man who called had a bullet in his shoulder. Rowe dragged him behind a frozen hay bale and patched him up—tweezers, sulfanilamide, and field dressing. A second man, shot in the chest, called for help, interrupted by a stray bullet. A third soldier suffered a head wound. He struggled to speak the word, medic, slurring the vowels. Rowe bit his tongue and ran past.

He’d been ordered not to waste supplies on those deemed too far gone.

His company charged into the town, all the buildings left in rubble. French signposts cracked to pieces. Bicycles blown in two from the bombings. Rowe breathed in, out, and waited, taking cover behind crumbling walls.

A grenade went off in a nearby store. Debris shot through the windows, followed by cries of pain. Rowe tightened his medic’s armband. He got to his feet and ran.

“Doc!” a soldier called. “Stay with us!”

He kicked open the shop’s door and broke it off the hinges. Rushing in, Rowe dropped to his knees beside a soldier in a field-grey uniform, an imperial eagle pinned to their right side chest. He opened his med-kit for his supplies—the soldier on the ground had an arm hanging on by threads of sinew. Blood stained the wooden floors.

“Nicht schiesen, ich ergebe mich!” he cried, “no make dead! No make dead!”

“You’re not dying on me!”

Footsteps pounded at the back of the shop. Rowe brandished his M1911A1—issued to protect his patients at any cost. A German medic, a red cross on his armband, raised his hands to surrender. Rowe signalled him over.

“Help me with him! He needs amputation. What do you have on you?”

The medic couldn’t understand. He kneeled, looked at the downed man, then brought out a hacksaw from his kit. Rowe injected morphine into the soldier as he thrashed. He secured a tourniquet above the elbow as the German medic sawed back and forth.

He bit off a sulfanilamide tab while the German readied field dressing. Rowe applied the powder and lifted the soldier’s arm—the German wrapped the wound twice over, then fastened the bandage with a pin. He grabbed his ally and dragged him off, looking at the door.

“Danke, amerikanisch,” the medic said. “Danke, ich bringe ihn in Sicherheit. Go!”

Rowe stepped outside. A group of Canadian soldiers beckoned him over, taking cover behind a demolished car. One stood to exchange shots before ducking back down. He sat with them and counted his supplies.

“Good to see you,” another said, patting him on the shoulder. “I saw what you did. I won’t tell a soul. We’re all just following orders—that’s all this is.” He relayed commands in French to his allies, then turned back to Rowe. “Stay put. The jerries are retreating. You’ll have your work cut out for you in a minute.”

Rowe nodded, leaning back, awaiting his call.

As a medic, he’d save lives—regardless of flags.

December 22, 2021 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

72 comments

Jon Casper
15:37 Dec 24, 2021

Alex -- Remarkable immersion you have achieved here. I've not been in battle so I can't speak to the realism, but I imagine you've done justice to the agony of it. I have a few notes: You used "sprinted" twice in successive paragraphs near the beginning. I wonder if that could be changed up a bit. Davis sucked in air through gritted teeth, his other hand punching at the dirt. -- I absolutely love this visual! At dawn, the commanding officer ordered for them to move forward. -- I'm thinking this might flow better as "ordered them" ... o...

Reply

Alex Sultan
17:30 Dec 25, 2021

Thanks, Jon - I'm glad you read this one. I appreciate the kind words. With these war stories, I'm never too sure what to think of them. It's reassuring to hear you liked it. I've taken your feedback into account. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:38 Dec 22, 2021

I'm a huge historical fiction fan and you delivered beautifully. Great research. Great sensory imagery and momentum. I felt like I was running alongside our intrepid medic. Heroically human. Loved this!

Reply

Alex Sultan
17:23 Dec 23, 2021

Thank you, Deidra. I appreciate the kind words. I put a lot of time into this one, and I'm glad you enjoyed it - Rowe's character was challenging, but rewarding to write. Thanks again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K. Antonio
19:26 Dec 31, 2021

Yo, this was intense. I actually almost never read WWII historical fiction, though I have some on my bookshelf to read this year. Anyway I loved the tension, the pacing, how at every corner there was something happening. The beginning was a great way to set the scene, having Rowe going back and forth between those that needed help. Really enjoyed the last scene with him and the German working together. Congrats on the shortlist. You're on a roll!

Reply

Alex Sultan
22:14 Dec 31, 2021

Thanks for reading! I appreciate the kind words. Two medics from opposing sides working together was my concept, and I plotted out the whole story backwards from it. I'd definitely recommend reading WW2 fiction. It's not for everyone, for sure, but it is interesting to know how life was 70 years ago. I'm glad this made the shortlist - now I just need to write some winners to balance it out 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:30 Dec 31, 2021

Well deserved win. I loved this story!

Reply

Alex Sultan
21:42 Dec 31, 2021

Thank you! I'm happy this did well - I do like writing about WW2, and knowing people enjoy it and I can win with it is reassuring. I appreciate the kind words :)

Reply

23:20 Dec 31, 2021

I'd love to see this character in a much longer work. :)

Reply

Alex Sultan
09:13 Jan 04, 2022

Yes! Maybe one day. Writing an entire book based around WW2 could be interesting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
18:27 Dec 27, 2021

You made the battle field come alive - very well done.

Reply

Alex Sultan
19:25 Dec 27, 2021

Thanks for reading, Michael. I'm glad the imagery came across effectively.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessica L 🦄
06:31 Dec 22, 2021

Nice cadence to the story- and nice ending.

Reply

16:39 Dec 22, 2021

"Cadence" -- perfect description! YES YES YES

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alex Sultan
17:35 Dec 23, 2021

Thanks, Jessica. I found the ending to be the most difficult part to write. It's reassuring to know you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Sophia Gavasheli
04:48 Jun 30, 2023

I love historical fiction, particularly WW2, and I'm hesitant to get into it with all the research necessary, but you did an amazing job in this story. First off, I like how this is told from the POV of a medic- the unsung hero of war. The story felt very realistic, with the details like sulfanilamide ; I felt like I was running right there alongside Rowe. The part with Rowe helping the German soldier introduced some great nuance to this story as well. And the last line was simply masterful. I've always felt so conflicted about war, partic...

Reply

Alex Sultan
06:00 Jul 01, 2023

Thank you for reading! Showing humanity and balancing different perspectives in warfare is one of my favourite things to write. I'm glad you liked it - I have so much more war stuff to write as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darrell Grant
14:53 Jan 28, 2022

A very good story that brings out visualization of the scenes at hand.

Reply

Alex Sultan
10:27 Jan 29, 2022

I appreciate the read & comment, Darrell.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
22:25 Jan 05, 2022

I always find historical fiction so daunting to attempt as a writer and you just nailed it. Great job.

Reply

Alex Sultan
19:40 Jan 07, 2022

Thank you, Kevin. I do feel the same way - historical fiction, I find, is always slower to write than other stories - a lot more time spent on research. I appreciate the kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Harris
15:40 Jan 05, 2022

Well done for being shortlisted, I can definitely see why. Your prose has detail, pace and authenticity. For me, this was an uplifting story of someone very bravely and respectfully helping others in horrendous circumstances - it made me smile, even through the sadness of the war background. So glad someone was there for those poor soldiers…As you can see, it felt real to me. Congratulations!

Reply

Alex Sultan
19:42 Jan 07, 2022

Thank you, Sharon. I'm glad you liked it! My favourite thing about writing these war stories is always displaying humanity in chaos. Your comment is very kind. I appreciate you taking the time to read and type it out. All the best :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:14 Jan 02, 2022

Yes, I was right there amidst the action with the crunch of snow under my boots and bullets whizzing past my ear and the moon lighting up the trees with a silvery glow. A very compassionate story and I felt like cheering when Rowe and the German medic came together to help the same man. Great stuff!

Reply

Alex Sultan
09:18 Jan 04, 2022

Thank you! I do think this is one of my best stories - I'm glad to hear the immersion and imagery worked well for you. I appreciate the kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:53 Jan 01, 2022

Fantastic story, and congratulations on the shortlist! Is Rowe serving during the Battle of Bastogne? You did an excellent job bringing the cruelty of war to life. The moral dilemmas medics faced—"He'd been ordered not to waste supplies on those deemed too far gone."—were intense, to say the least. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend watching "Band of Brothers"—one of their episodes actually follows a medic serving in Bastogne.

Reply

Alex Sultan
09:16 Jan 04, 2022

Thank you! Of course, I've seen 'Band of Brothers' - a fantastic series. It's the sort of quality I strive to write at. I'd be lying if I didn't say I took some inspiration from the medic episode(My favourite of the show). It's really cool to hear you know my source material. Thanks again for reading and taking the time to comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
09:57 Jan 01, 2022

Alex, Congratulations!

Reply

Alex Sultan
09:16 Jan 04, 2022

Thank you, Suma. I look forward to your next story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shaamiela Jappie
09:01 Jan 01, 2022

I'm brand-new to Reedsy and you're the first one I'm following. I really enjoyed feeling like I was running and ducking behind your Medic. Have a happy new year.

Reply

Alex Sultan
09:17 Jan 04, 2022

I'm glad to hear! It's nice to have you along - thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wilma Segeren
22:21 Dec 31, 2021

I felt like I was right there. Great detail, great imagery. Superb job. Thank you !

Reply

Alex Sultan
09:10 Jan 04, 2022

Thank you, Wilma! This story was slow to write - I wanted it to be as immersive as possible. Thanks again for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:42 Dec 31, 2021

Congratulations on the shortlist!!!

Reply

Alex Sultan
21:48 Dec 31, 2021

Thank you! With how well this story did, I'm looking forward to writing & researching more about WW2. I appreciate the kind words :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Erica Miles
13:43 Dec 31, 2021

Well done!

Reply

Alex Sultan
21:44 Dec 31, 2021

Thank you, Erica.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Whitlock
02:17 Dec 30, 2021

I could almost smell it! Loved your descriptions and your character came more and more alive. His being stunned they shot the "paint off" his helmet was a wonderfully human moment in the inhuman war picture. I have never been to war, but I have often wondered how they do it. Keep killing and being killed - all the blood and horror - all ordered by someone far away for reasons they may or may not understand. WWII, things were a bit clearer - but still. Very vivid use of this prompt. Your writing immediately sweeps you in the world you are see...

Reply

Alex Sultan
19:31 Dec 30, 2021

Thank you, Susan! Your comments are always so kind. I'm glad you liked the story - Rowe being stunned over his helmet is actually my favourite part of the piece. I appreciate the thought you put into your comment. The kind words are inspiring. All the best 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
14:04 Dec 29, 2021

What I love most about your stories, is how you come up with them. I absolutely love it. There is this tension building up and you could picture the whole scenario in the back of your mind. The way the patients yell for the medic while a single person is ready to do whatever he can. A great message at the end, always respected. Great one!

Reply

Alex Sultan
19:36 Dec 30, 2021

Thank you, Keya. I'm glad you enjoyed reading through this. I wanted to write another story like Iriewani, and after going through a ton of variations for this one I settled on an American medic. Thanks again for the comment!

Reply

Keya J.
09:11 Jan 01, 2022

Congratulations!!!! I had no doubt.

Reply

Alex Sultan
09:34 Jan 04, 2022

Now to write winners to balance it out 😎

Reply

Keya J.
10:45 Jan 04, 2022

Yep of course. I too would be working on my shot. Heehe. I'll check out your new story soon and uh romance? that's new! I hope you do win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Swan Anderson
02:08 Dec 29, 2021

Another intense story! You put us right alongside Rowe doing his combat medicine, having to triage the ones beyond help - what a terrible thing to have to do! The soldiers' wounds and Rowe's treatment were real, and I loved your ending with the two "enemy" medics working together. It reminds me of "All Quiet on the Western Front" and also the movie "A Midnight Clear" with Ethan Hawke. They were all just young men thrown into battle as cannon fodder but every now and then could see each other as fellow humans. Brilliant as always!

Reply

Alex Sultan
19:41 Dec 30, 2021

Thank you, Swan. The two medics working together was my concept and I plotted the story out backwards from it. I'm glad you liked it and I appreciate the kind words! I've yet to read "All Quiet on the Western Front" but I've ordered a copy, and after checking out "A Midnight Clear", I'll add it to a watchlist. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.