0 comments

Fiction Friendship

“Mmmm, do I want a white chocolate cinnamon spiced hot cocoa or a pumpkin pie delight latte? I just can’t decide”

“ I know right. Everything on the menu looks so good,” I responded.

 Everything really did look delicious, from the apple crumb cakes to the foamy and frothing cappuccinos. But the real excitement I felt today was getting to spend time with Claire. It’d been ages since I last saw her in person and so much had changed.

“What do you recommend?” Claire asked the barista whose lazy smile and glazed over eyes attested to the little sleep she probably wasn’t getting.

“Well... everything on this menu is new for the season. All your fall time favorites, pumpkin spice, apple cider, but I can make you something that’ll blow you away.” The barista then started to get excited so Clare and I ordered two of the specialty drink and a couple pastries to share.

I took a sip of my drink and my taste buds were immediately flooded with sweet peppermint and mocha. I guess the barista was ready to skip right to Christmas but I had a few things I wanted to accomplish before then.

“So Claire,” I smiled, “I’ve really missed you, ya know....” I trailed off, not sure if I’d be able to keep my composure.

“Cathy, I’ve missed you tooooo!!! I can’t believe I haven’t seen you in three years! I know we’ve FaceTimed but it’s just not the same. How is everything??? Are you still working at the preschool?”

Claire was my rock. Her enthusiasm oozed out of her pores like honey from a hive. She had done so much with her life; moving to Switzerland, landing her dream job, and now... marrying the man of her dreams

“Yeah, I love it. The kids are my life,” I feigned a smile but I really did love those kids.

It was always my dream to work with kids. Most people claimed it was because I was like a child myself, never really outgrowing the joys of my youth. I never got along well with anyone above the age of twelve and because of that I lacked in the friendship department sorely.

“Anyways, tell me about Adam! I can’t wait to meet him.”

“OH Adam is WONDERFUL! You’re going to love him. He’s just the sweetest guy and...”

Claire continued to speak but it was harder for me to stay focused these days. I often drifted off into daydreams where I could be the heroine of my own stories. A place I created where I wasn’t so scared and my stomach didn’t do somersaults at the idea of talking to a stranger. I knew I needed to make new friends. It was not good for me to be alone. 

I took a long sip from my latte and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

“So of course, you’ll be coming to the wedding in May? And don’t worry about the airline tickets. Adam wants to take care of that for the entire bridal party. Cathy?”

“ I uhh.. wait, you’re getting married in Switzerland?” I asked, a bit taken aback.

“Yes! It will be the most beautiful spring wedding over there! All the wildflowers you can imagine and-“

“ I thought you always wanted to get married here in Merrindale? Under the gazebo, down by the river. It was always your dream.” I said frantically.

Why was it so much harder to breathe all of a sudden?

“Well yes, that was the plan while in high school, but things change and circumstances change, Cathy.”

“ I just thought, after what you said last time we talked...”

It was a month ago when Adam proposed to Claire. She was over the moon. I was the first person she told.

“CATHYYOUWON’TBELIEVITIAMENGAGED!!!!”

“Claire, you’re speaking too fast. I can’t understand you.”

“ADAM PROPOSED. I’m getting married.”

“Wow, I mean, that’s amazing! I’m so happy for the two of you!” I really was happy. Even though I’d felt my heart break in two at that moment. 

“I just have so much planning to do and I miss you so much! I need you and my family at the wedding. Wait, what if I had the wedding back home!?! Like we used to dream about during all those sleepovers. Adam could see my hometown and it would be amazing to see everyone again!!! I’d have to visit beforehand though....what do you think, Cathy?”

My heart leapt inside my chest. My best friend, home again.

“Come home, Claire. We need you here.”

I need you here.

I broke off a piece of muffin and crumbled it in my hands watching the tiny pieces form and looking up at my best friend’s pretty face. Except what I saw was a wrinkled brow and two sad doe-like eyes.

“I guess, I was hoping that if you came here to get married, you’d realize how much you missed everyone and everything and you‘d come home.” 

Maintaining eye contact was killing me and I quickly found immense interest in the sugar packets on the table.

“My home is in Switzerland now. With Adam. You know I love you Cathy but staying here would have drained the life out of me. You’ll always hold a special place in my heart, alongside Merrindale, which is why I want YOU at my wedding. And I want you to be my maid of honor. Please do this for me, Cathy. Come to Switzerland. Come to to my wedding. I need you there.” Claire gave me a small sad smile, holding my hand in hers with a firm grip.

“Of course I’ll be there!” I smiled big and bright because I needed to be strong for her sake. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“ I knew you’d come around! You’re going to LOVE Switzerland. Now let’s discuss wedding details, so.....”

Things were changing so fast. I didn’t know if I was ready for it all. But if I could drink a peppermint mocha in the midst of the pumpkin craze of fall time, then I guess anything was possible. And going against the norm was step one. My step one.

October 17, 2020 03:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.