1 comment

Drama Contemporary Fiction

The once-a-month cookery group would gather in what was called the Club Room of a residential complex in which the Pintos lived. Pinto’s wife Jay always hosted the event and the small group now came together. Jay welcomed the members. She was less than 30 and was good looking. She was dressed in a sari and her hair had been knotted into a bun. Kate was a member and she came dressed also in a sari. Jay told the group “Today we’ll see the new soup which can be heated and served even for a week. This will be demonstrated by madam Liyan.” Liyan who was of Chinese origin came wearing a flowered long shirt over loose pants with an apron on top, and showed how the soup was made. Members had a glass each to taste, It was found tasty enough and questions and answers followed about the ingredients and alternates which could be used. Next Kate showed how to make a cake with walnut topping. The cake was cut and passed round for opinion. It received only 50% rating. Kate was disappointed. She answered a few questions and the group then gossiped which was the main objective of the meeting. After the group dispersed, Kate was left alone with Jay.

Jay knew that Kate was very disappointed at the low approval rating of what she had prepared. To mollify her, Jay said “There was nothing wrong with your cake except that it was less sweet than one would expect in a cake.”

“Ask Pinto. Don’t tell him it was made by me,”

“He returns only after 9 PM. I’ll call you and tell you what he said.”

“You’re lucky you’ve a husband who never seems to criticise. Bye for now.”

When Pinto came back Jay gave him a piece of the cake. He bit a piece and chewing it asked “It isn’t tasty. Change the supplier.”

She said laughing “It was made by Kate.”

“She has to give up cake making and stick to gossiping. I hate the sight of that woman whom you consider your best friend.”

Pinto was a software man and ran his own business. He was of moderate height, lean, and had lost much of his hair. He was always pleasant to talk to.

Jay served him dinner and said “I suppose you’ll be with the wordlists, dictionary and the PC.”

“Jay you don’t understand. I’m a SCRABBLE* champion and hope to beat the present world champion Shakir Rashid. Unless I put in more effort how can I do it? I hope you understand.” She was silent. He continued “I’ve told you that the tournament to determine the new champion is just a week away in Kolkata. Should I not prepare?”

She said “You’re continually neglecting me by getting absorbed in that stupid game.”

“One of my big customers in Zurich wanted me to go over for a discussion. With the tournament coming up I’ve said Tabussum will represent me this time. She is well-qualified and experienced. That is the importance I give Scrabble.”

“Kate said that even if I walked nude in front of you, you won’t look up from that Scrabble board.”

“To hell with her! Always interfering in others’ matters and gossip! Now walk as she said and see what happens! Only make sure she gets to know.”

Later they adjourned to the bedroom and it was late night when as Jay lay snoring, Pinto returned to his wordlists! Next morning Pinto asked “Jay have you spoken to Kate yet? What did she say?”

She said “We womenfolk discuss many matters unfit for male ears. Anyway I can say with pride that Kate was wrong in her assumption of what you would do if I walked nude in front of you!”

He said “You must allow me to pursue my goal. I’ve gone to several places abroad for tournaments and each time I’ve remembered you and got you something or other. Last time I was in Dubai and brought you the bead necklace which you liked. When I...........”

“Enough! I’ve always appreciated your thinking of me at those tournaments. Continue with your dictionaries etc. I’m reconciled.”

“I hope you’ll make it clear to Kate.”

“You’ve a hatred towards her but she is my reliable friend. I confide in her.” She had told Kate about Pinto’s comment regarding the walnut cake. Kate told herself “I’ll get even with that........”

“Whatever you may say I consider her a loose mouth and one who is venomous.”

The day came for Pinto to fly to Kolkata and before he left he said “Jay wish me luck. I should be back in 3 or 4 days.”

Pinto was lodged in Hotel Matrix in Kolkata where other players had also been booked as its tariffs were moderate. The tournament was scheduled for 3 days and he had booked his return flight on  the night of the closing event. Matrix was a small hotel but well maintained and was particularly appreciated by foreign guests. Pinto was booked into a double room number 108. There were nearly 150 participants in the event and some of them had been booked into that hotel. The public hall where the event would take place was almost next to the hotel

After an inaugural function the tournament started. Pinto was very enthusiastic and defeated many lower rated opponents. There was lunch when a lady he had played against and defeated came to him and said “Mr.Pinto I’m Olive Mukono from Kenya. I teach in a school in Nairobi and have been playing this game for 4 years. You’ve a mighty vocabulary! You so easily defeated me even though I defeated some players.”

Pinto saw she was a black woman with pleasant features. Could be around 25 he thought. She was wearing a knee length dress which set off her curves. The curly hair on her head had been combed to the level of her neck and she looked quite attractive. He said “Nice meeting you here Olive. That is the way the game goes! Luck also plays a part.”

They chatted for a time. Then it was back to the game. The game continued the second day and Pinto remained unbeaten. The game went on to day three. Pinto planned to leave by the night flight the same day and so vacated the hotel room as he set out for the game. At the game venue, he faced strong players. At the end when play was over, Rashid was the champion again, and Pinto came second. He was very disappointed. Pinto was scheduled to catch the 10 PM flight but he was told due to some reason the flight would leave only at 10AM the next day. Also came the news that there was to be a strike the next day starting at 6 AM, and those catching flights would have to leave from the hotel at 5 AM and wait at the airport. Now Pinto faced a problem. His room 108 had been taken by someone else. The hotel had been overbooked. Since there were no rooms, many including foreigners went to the reception to sleep and wait. Pinto found all chairs and sofas in the foyer had also been occupied. He was tired and frustrated and felt very sleepy. As he was standing there not knowing what to do, he heard a voice asking “Mr.Pinto, have you no room here?”

He turned and saw it was Olive the Kenyan. He said “I vacated my room this morning and it has been taken by someone else. The hotel is full. I’m wondering what to do.”

Olive thought a moment and said “Mine is a double room though I’m paying for single occupancy. Considering the difficult times, the hotel wouldn’t mind if you spent the night in one of the rooms. You could share my room. I’m making the offer in view of the circumstances, and noting that you seem a well behaved man.”

He was wondering what to say. She said “I trust you. You can stay in my room.”

 “Am I not making a mistake?” he asked himself as he told her “I’ll sleep on the carpet.”

She said “I leave it to you.”

Inside the room he sat on the carpet on the floor and got ready to sleep using his bag as a pillow. He said “Let’s not lock the door.”

“The hotel reception said it would be risky and guests have to take care that their belongings are not stolen. For me to feel safe the door has to be locked. You lie down. I’ll lock the door.”

In the morning, Pinto left at 4.30 after waking Olive and thanking her. He was back home in time for afternoon lunch. He had called Jay the previous evening and told her about his change of programme. After lunch he said “Jay this time I had no time to buy some souvenir for you. It was a difficult trip. I wasn’t satisfied with my performance at the tournament either.” He told her about the difficulties he had faced except about having accepted Olive’s hospitality. He was sure Jay wouldn’t learn about that incident.

A week later Jay stormed her husband “You didn’t tell me that you slept with an African woman .”

He was shocked. She said “Reena from here went to play the tournament with her brother as escort and stayed in Hotel Matrix. She told Kate about seeing you with the African. Of course she told Kate not to tell me. But you know Kate!”

He had a difficult time explaining the situation as Jay shouted asking what Olive had that she hadn’t etc: The usual charge sheet after having been provoked! He said “I slept on the carpet.”

“If a man and a woman are together in a locked room , what else can be assumed? I’m charging you with marital infidelity.”

She taunted him so much that he finally said “I accepted Olive’s help which is a mistake. I know it is something that no one can fix. If you still suspect me after all my explanation and want me out, let’s do it legally.”

“If I say I forgive you, what would you do to atone for your sin?”

He thought long and hard and said “I will give up Scrabble. Would that be adequate?”

They were reconciled! The next day he donated his Scrabble belongings to the indoor sports section of the school nearby. Within himself he decided it was time to free Jay of Kate that gossiping ...... (strong bad words excised!) He consoled himself remembering what Omar Khayyam has said:” And in some corner of the hubbub coucht/Make game of that which makes as much of thee.”

END

*SCRABBLE is an indoor crossword board game where every letter counts with bonus points on premium squares and premium scores for creating 7 letter words.

November 30, 2020 10:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Len Mooring
23:23 Dec 09, 2020

Scrabble? What do these people have flowing in their veins? Great story. You could add an additional paragraph of Pinto's wife thanking Olive and commenting that even if she had been naked, she would have remained unmolested. Just kidding.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.