0 comments

Fiction Crime Mystery

‘There is an enormous lizard in your bathroom, Aunt Veronica!’ little Will shouted.

‘I am most afraid to check.’ Veronica feigned fear in front of the six-year-old kid.

He giggled. ‘Girls are always afraid of lizards,’ he said, wearing a serious expression.

‘I wonder, what is it doing in my bathroom?’ Veronica was enjoying this.

‘It must have had a bath. What else could it do in a bathroom?’ Will said.

Veronica gasped. ‘In my bathtub?’

Will nodded. ‘You should check.’

Veronica was recalling the previous day. Will, a kid in the neighbourhood, had come to wish her April Fool’s Day. She’d had fun with the kid. She had herself played a lot of pranks with her siblings in childhood. Some of them unpleasant but never harmful. They made sure of it. The aim was to tease and have fun. But it never involved physical harm of any kind.

But recently she had seen instances where teenagers played pranks that involved more than just fun. Incidents of young girls and boys getting hurt physically, or things that involved extreme horror, had come up in the recent years. She hoped today had not seen one of those.

Her phone rang while she was about to retire for the day. Elliot Ross. She smiled. Off late, he was consulting her on a lot of cases.

“Hello, Ross.”

“I need you down here.” There was urgency in his voice. “The backyard of the closed sugar factory. You know this place?”

“Yes, I know where it is. What happened?”

“A young girl,” he said, and Veronica knew by that he meant, ‘A young girl is found dead’

“I’m coming.” was all she said.

The factory was far from the chaos of the city. At night, the lonely area was even more ghastly. The perfect place for murder.

She went up to Elliot. His face, usually expressionless, was grim. “That bad?” she asked.

He nodded and motioned for her to follow him.

A beautiful young girl in her mid-twenties was lying, almost peacefully, in death. Almost. Because it was quite clear the way she was killed. And that the death must have been very painful. But now was not the time to contemplate on that. Veronica turned to Elliot as he explained.

“Hit on the head with this iron rod,” he pointed out the rod, now kept in a bag labelled ‘evidence’.

Veronica went on the see the rod. “Looks like it was picked up from here.”

Elliot nodded. “There’s a lot of trash here, and since the plant is sealed, there is no guard.” he said in a voice that clearly indicated how annoyed he was.

He was protective of nature. Veronica had noticed this occasionally. He felt awful when someone was hurt just because there was no one around to protect.

“How was she discovered?” Veronica tried to redirect his mind to the more urgent issue at hand.

Instead, his anger escalated even higher. He pointed to a group of three people standing aside. The young woman was crying incessantly, and the men who were looking terrified themselves were struggling to console her.

“Felicia Stokes, along with Karen Chavez and Robin Holden, played a prank on Wallace Floyd. Karen and Robin informed Wallace that his fiancée Felicia was lost, and they came here searching her. While Felicia was expected to stay at her home and surprise him later. Karen and Robin came with Wallace. That’s when they found her.”

She went toward them. They all looked to be the same age as of Felicia. As she drew closer, she saw the worry on their faces turn into fear.

Veronica wiped off all doubt from her face. She would not get any answers if she became as harsh as Elliot. She pasted a neutral expression and said, “Calm down, please.”

That got her attention.

“Now, if you’ll explain to me what exactly happened?”

Karen sniffed and then said, “We thought of playing a prank on Wallace and surprising him, since it is April Fool’s Day and his birthday today.”

“We told Wallace that Felicia was stuck on her way to his place. When he would come here to fetch her, we’d tell him it was a prank. We had asked Felicia to stay at her place.”

“What we told Wallace was a lie. Don’t know how she got here…” Karen sobbed.

Veronica looked expectantly at Wallace. He was weeping silently. It seemed as if he couldn’t get himself under control.

“Felicia was hinting at some surprise that she had planned for my birthday. I was waiting for her…”

Veronica didn’t think she could get anything valuable from them at this point when they were so shocked. She decided to talk to them later.

Going back, she asked Elliot about the progress made so far. “The motive is not clear yet. I don’t think we can trace the weapon for ownership. Still, I’m sending it for fingerprints scan.”

Veronica nodded. That was the usual procedure. But she knew she would find something that was hidden. Not hidden precisely, but just something that others wouldn’t normally notice.

She wandered through the backyard for a while, taking in the surroundings. Then came back to where the body was discovered. The backyard was more like a trash-yard. Since the factory had been closed for some time now, the people had all but declared it as the official dumpsite.

She found all kinds of trash, pieces of broken glass, smashed plastic bottles, shirt button, empty packets of chips, shredded newspaper, an old and torn shirt, a shattered vase, scratched DVDs, tissues. She wondered if people had dumped trash here instead of using the trash bins at home.

She collected the things with a yawn. That’s when she realized how tired she was. She needed a good night’s sleep, whatever was left of the night.

She woke up early the next morning and felt fresh and energetic. This happened mostly when she had a case to work out. The curiosity probably boosted her stamina.

She met Elliot and asked for updates on the backgrounds of the four them.

“Felicia was the daughter of Stokes, a successful businessperson. Filthy rich. So we must also take into consideration, if the motive was money.”

“But nothing seems to be stolen from her purse. Even the jewelry is in place.” Veronica mused.

“Yes, in that case, we might have to look who would benefit from her death. “

Veronica nodded. “And the others?”

“Wallace is also the son of an entrepreneur, Floyd, well established himself, too. He and Felicia were planning to get married in six months.”

“Love match?”

“Yes. As for Karen Chavez, she and Felicia were in the same class. Karen could not afford the college fees, so Felicia offered to pay for her. Karen then promised to repay once she started earning, which she is doing now.”

“Interesting. So now that Felicia is dead, Karen no longer has to repay?” Veronica asked.

“I’m not so sure about it. The account Karen was paying to is jointly owned by Felicia and her father. Also, she just paid for this month’s installment. If she had already planned to kill her, why let go of the money?”

“Hmm. But still a point to consider.”

Elliot smiled. “Robin Holden is from an average family. Nothing suspicious about his background. But…”

“But?”

“I suspect he secretly fancied Felicia. He might not have liked that Felicia was engaged to Wallace.”

“Ah, the omnipresent element of love and jealousy.”

Elliot only smiled. “I spoke with Felicia’s family. They don’t suspect anyone. Felicia was a good-natured girl and was friendly with everyone she met. So it is highly unlikely that she had made any enemies.”

“Thanks, Ross. I think I’ll talk to the friends again.”

“Shall I call them here and arrange a meeting?”

“No. I’ll pay them a visit. I wish to enjoy their hospitality.”

Robin’s house was modest, illustrating his meager finances. His eyes grew misty the moment Veronica started inquiring about Felicia.

“We were in college together. All four of us. Although we came from altogether different backgrounds, Felicia never let that become an impediment in our friendship. She treated everyone with good will.” His look became distant as he seemed to recall memories.

“Was it because of this kindness that you fancied her?” Veronica asked.

Robin looked up sharply, but said nothing. Just stared at her with surprise.

“So, it is true then,” Veronica said.

“Yes. Yes, I liked her. And cared for her. But I have enough common sense to realize that it wouldn’t have worked. Friendship was all I was going to get from her. And I was content with that.”

“I would think that is reason enough to kill her.” Veronica mused.

“What?!” he stood up. “What are you talking about?”

“Now that Felicia and Wallace were engaged to be married, it is quite natural that you might feel a pang of jealousy, which is a reason to—“

“No!” he nearly screamed. He looked appalled at his own behaviour. Then calmed and sat down. “I was never jealous. I cared for her. Felicia and Wallace both move in the same circles. Wallace is a good fellow. I am—was happy for her.”

Next, Veronica paid a visit to Karen. She lived with her parents. They told Veronica that Karen hadn’t left her room since she arrived late at night. The sudden and unexpected death of her friend had left her shocked to the core.

She was sitting on the bed when Veronica entered her room. Hugging a pillow, she was staring into nothingness. Forgotten tears drying on her cheeks. Veronica looked around the room. There were pictures of Felicia and Karen on the walls. The bedside table was also strewn with photos of their times together.

“I am sorry that you lost a friend,” Veronica broke her reverie.

Karen startled when she saw Veronica. After a moment she said, “She was much more than a friend.”

“One usually puts up pictures of their parents and family,” Veronica pointed to the walls.

Karen smiled a little. “Yes. I am a single child. Felicia was more like sister to me.”

“I heard she paid for your tuition.”

“Yes, I couldn’t manage the college fees. I refused at first. But she insisted. Said, ‘What if I were your sister? You wouldn’t refuse me then, would you? Then it’s settled. I am your sister from today.’” Karen choked on a sob.

“Now that she is dea—no more, you won’t have to repay, right?”

Karen looked up, dumbstruck. As if the question had never occurred to her.

“I… I haven’t thought about it. But now that I think… I will repay the remaining amount. To her family. Not that they are in any need of it. They are so rich, they could probably fund ten other girls and not even realize it. But I’ll repay. It is the right thing to do. I will not betray her. That is the least I can do. She had already loaned it to me interest-free. Such a kind heart she had. Why would anyone want to hurt such a sweet girl…”

“We’ll find out.” Veronica said firmly, before Karen could break down again.

Wallace Floyd’s place wasn’t difficult to locate. His huge bungalow stood right in the heart of the town.

She was shown into a plush living room and asked to await Wallace. The elegant furniture and expensive antique items that adorned the shelves all screamed of wealth.

Wallace came down a couple of minutes later.

“Agent Matthews. Good morning. I hope I didn’t keep you waiting for long.”

“No. I am sorry that I had to disturb you at such a time.” Veronica said.

Wallace looked at her, confused.

“It must be a tough time for you after you’ve lost your fiancée.”

“Oh. Yes… Yes, it has indeed been a tough time.”

“I have come to ask about her.”

He closed his eyes for a moment. Almost as if in pain. “Oh, yes. Sure. Felicia was such a loving girl. The most kind heart in the world.”

“Yet she was murdered.”

He looked up sharply.

“Since when were you acquainted?” Veronica asked.

“We met in college. Our classes were different. But our paths often crossed. We dated for a couple of years, before finally we got engaged.”

“Any problems in your relationship? Maybe any jealous secret lover?”

He thought for a moment. “No… I don’t think anyone was jealous. When we broke the news to our family and friends, all were happy.”

“Indeed,” she pointed to a frame on the wall, “you two also seem happy.”

“Yes,” he looked lost in his thoughts as if he was trying to remember something, “That was taken on my last birthday. She had gifted me a blue shirt. Said, it suited me well. This year too I wore the blue shirt. And I was so eager to see her smile… but instead she…” Pain clouded his eyes.

Something about this conversation struck her as odd. But she couldn’t place her finger on it, she thought once she was back home.

She sorted out all the things she had till now. She wrote all the events chronologically on the whiteboard.

Next, she pulled out the bag in which she had collected things, the trash she had found at the crime scene. That’s when it clicked to her. The blue shirt. She looked for the shirt in her bag. Unfortunately, it was white. She kept looking.

Five minutes later, she was talking to Elliot.

“Can you come to Floyd’s? I’m reaching in twenty.” She asked.

“What happened?” Elliot was, as always, concerned.

“I have a doubt to clear. Please.”

“Alright. I’ll be there.”

Elliot was already speaking with Wallace when Veronica reached.

“Sorry to disturb you again,” Veronica smiled smoothly. “I was just curious to see your blue shirt.”

“My blue shirt?” Wallace looked perplexed.

“Yes. The same that was Felicia’s favourite.”

“I… I don’t know. I am not sure where it is.” Wallace explained.

“But you just told me you had worn it on your birthday. I’m sure you can remember where you kept it.”

“Oh, yes, yes.” he made a good show of remembering. “I’ll get it.”

Veronica examined the shirt he had got and found exactly what she was looking for. “This is indeed a nice shirt, but if you could explain to me, how this button here is missing?”

Wallace inspected the shirt. “It must have come out. Surely, you don’t expect me to keep an account of something as trivial as buttons.” he laughed.

“You are absolutely right. I don’t expect that. But I certainly expect you to keep an account of your lies.”

“My lies? I don’t know what you are talking about.” he took out a handkerchief to wipe off the sweat on his brow.

Veronica took out the blue button and place it on the shirt. “Would you care to think how I came to be in the possession of this button?”

Wallace stared at it open-mouthed. “You… you must have found it somewhere,” he stammered. “My shirt is not the only blue shirt in this world.”

“You’re right again. But this coincidence is too much to believe. I found it near Felicia’s body.”

Elliot grabbed Wallace by his collar. “Now, I want to know nothing but the truth.” He said in a deadly serious tone.

Wallace nodded and sat down. “I wasn’t aware of Felicia, Karen, and Robin’s plan about April Fool’s Day. Since it was also my birthday, I wore that shirt. I wanted to make her smile, see her happy. She called me. But instead of wishing me, she said that she had uncovered my secret. And that she would now disclose it. She did not think it was fair of me to keep it hidden. I was frightened. I tried to reason with her. But she wouldn’t listen to me. She began fighting me. In an attempt to get her under control, I used the iron rod. It struck her hard.”

“What was the secret?” Elliot asked.

“The Floyd’s and the Holden’s had a son each around the same time. The Holden’s envied Floyd’s success and prosperity. They wanted all of that for their son. And so… and so they exchanged the infants. She wanted to make sure Robin Holden got his rightful place.”

It was impressive, Veronica thought later, how one small lie had uncovered a substantial truth.

August 19, 2021 17:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.