SHADOWS OF MEMORY: THE PICTURE OF ME

Submitted into Contest #244 in response to: Start your story with a character staring at a picture they don’t remember taking.... view prompt

2 comments

Mystery Suspense


Rarely do I allow myself the opportunity to journey back into the labyrinthine corridors of my childhood. Memories lurk like sharp-edged shadows, threatening to pierce the fragile armor encasing my heart. The mere whisper of that propels me into an abyss of raw vulnerability, my senses inundated with the echoes of bygone sorrows. Have my tear-stained trials over the years been enough, staining the canvas of my existence with the remnants of unshed grief? Haven’t I cried all the tears? How much more do I need to endure?


Childhood—a realm meant to evoke warmth and wonder—holds no such meaning for me. Instead, it looms as a vast expanse of darkness, an unhealed wound reopening with each whispered remembrance. Is this relentless ache fated to endure, an indomitable reminder of pain untethered?


Within the recesses of my mind, there exist no tales of innocent escapades, no echoes of carefree laughter reverberating against the walls of memory. Do these corridors stand abandoned, devoid of the once-ubiquitous joy of childhood, now overrun by the silence of neglect? Would those corridors stay occupied, with nobody walking through, no children running, laughing?


<<>>


People drift in and out of my life like fleeting apparitions, their presence fleeting against the backdrop of my solitary existence. Friends, acquaintances, lovers—do they all leave behind faint imprints that fade into obscurity? Do their inquiries veer away from the shadows of my past, leaving them undisturbed, untouched? Why must it be so? Am I doomed? Is that my punishment?


Do I navigate these interpersonal exchanges like a ship lost amidst a boundless sea, devoid of direction and adrift amidst the complexities of human connection? Does the intricacy of these interactions form a labyrinth I struggle to decipher, leaving me drowning in a sea of anonymity, yearning to recede into the background amidst life's clamors?


To an outsider's gaze, I may appear as the focal point of attention, a beacon drawing others near with an irresistible allure. Yet beneath this façade, am I but a solitary figure adrift in a world spinning too fast for comprehension? Does time elude my grasp like water slipping through my fingers, each moment slipping away before I can grasp its fleeting significance, leaving me resigned to the rhythm of solitude?


Do I find myself vacillating between reality and reverie, their boundaries blurred into a hazy continuum where waking life and dreams intertwine, diverting my focus from pressing concerns?


<<>>


Suddenly, the absence of sound from my computer jolts my senses—the silence now replacing the cacophony of buzzing and clicking that once filled the air. Has it truly been seven days since I initiated the data recovery process on the ancient hard drive, its completion now heralded by this newfound quiet? Where does all that time go?


A surge of elation courses through me, igniting every fiber of my being at the mere prospect of the treasures awaiting within the restored data. Countless stories, recordings frozen in time, and myriad projects and videos—all salvaged from the brink of oblivion. It's as though a treasure trove of memories and creativity awaits me, ready to be unearthed and embraced anew. I felt excitement covering every part of my being, intoxicating me with new energy.


I find myself drawn to a photo displayed on the monitor, my expression a mask of bewilderment. Each face in the picture feels uncannily familiar, etched into the recesses of my memory, and yet I cannot reconcile the fact that I've never encountered it before. How did this enigmatic image find its way into my digital sanctuary? Whose hand dared breach my defenses, slipping this mystery into my possession without leaving a trace?


Do the photo's hues evoke memories of days long past, captured through the lens of time itself? And yet, this hard drive—a mere infant in the realm of technology—has existed for only a year, its contents meticulously curated within that timeframe. Does this incongruity gnaw at the edges of my sanity, leaving me grappling with an unsettling sense of unease? Did I put it inside and just forget it? How often do I do something like that?


Never.

I never do that, never.

No way can that happen.

Never.


But the picture is on the hard drive, and if I did not put it in, who did?


Recognition floods my senses like a sudden downpour, eroding the barriers of time and distance the moment my eyes land on a painting. There, amidst hauntingly familiar faces of my sisters, lies my own visage, frozen in an inscrutable expression that sends shivers down my spine—a silent plea obscured by stoicism.


When was this picture taken? Who immortalized this moment, freezing it in time like a delicate butterfly pinned to a board? And why do I feel like a shard torn from the fabric of my forgotten past? Questions swirl within my mind like leaves caught in a tempest, each one piercing the fragile veil of my reality.


<<>>


As days merge seamlessly into nights and my obsession with unraveling the mystery of the elusive picture consumes me, a peculiar occurrence unfolds. One evening, as I sit before my computer, poised to scrutinize every pixel of the enigmatic image once more, I find it gone—vanished without a trace. Just like that – gone.


Panic seizes my heart as I scour every folder, every backup, desperate to reclaim the artifact that has become the focal point of my fixation. But despite my efforts, the picture remains elusive, as though it were never there to begin with. Never there, really?


Questions swirl in my mind, casting doubt upon the very fabric of my reality. Was the picture a figment of my imagination, a mirage conjured by the depths of my subconscious? Or was it a tangible relic of a forgotten past, erased from existence by forces beyond my comprehension? Could I be fooling myself, putting images in front of me that were not there at all?


As I grapple with the uncertainty, a sense of resignation washes over me. Mysteries are not meant to be solved, and some memories are destined to remain forever lost to the sands of time. Sand that in the end will cover all of us.


With a heavy heart and newfound humility, I close the chapter on the saga of the mysterious picture, content to let it fade into the recesses of memory. For in the end, it is not the answers we seek that define us, but the journey we undertake in pursuit of truth, however elusive it may be.

March 29, 2024 21:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Judith Jerdé
21:45 Apr 08, 2024

Darvico, thank you so much for reading my story 'Cuckoo.' It's so nice to get positive feedback! I loved your 'Shadows OF MEMORY: THE PICTURE OF ME.' It touched on feelings I believe many of us have about the past more specifically childhood. U have some very interesting-looking titles in your portfolio, I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
06:50 Apr 09, 2024

There is much more stories about my childhood that I'm just waiting the right prompt to put them out to surface. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.