0 comments

Drama Fiction Teens & Young Adult

That time had come around again, and Angie so did to want to attend. Lets go and get this over with.

Everyone was seated around the table eating dinner no one was saying anything the room was so silent you could the person across from you chewing their food. Suddenly Jacob spoke up. Since no one wants to talk about the elephant in the room I will. After a lot of consideration and going over everything, your mother have decided we will be getting a divorce. Suddenly a loud scream came from across the table. What is the matter with you all, everyone acts like we are the first people to get a divorce said Angie. We have grown apart and we believe that divorce would be the best thing for us. We do want you to know that we love all of you and that will never change. After a few more minutes of silence carol spoke up and told her parents that whatever they decided to do it was fine with her, because she loved both her parents and she wanted what was best for them. From that the other two children agreed and the conversation picked up to something Moore cheerful. By the time dinner was finished everyone was chattering away about one thing or another like nothing so devastating was ever mentioned. A few days later Carol was sitting in her room watching a. movie when suddenly she began to cry. although she told her parents that she was okay with their decision she realized she was not. Why is this happening to her family, she always thought that her parents were happy and loved each other. After pondering about if she should ask any questions she finally decided she needed to know the real reason her parents were divorcing. after dinner that night she went into her parents bedroom where her mom was watching tv. She sat down on the bed and laid her head on her mom's shoulder. Angie rubbed her daughter's head for a moment then looked her in the eyes and asked what was wrong. Carol began to cry, I don't understand, I have always thought you and dad were happily in love with each other. Baby your dad and I still and always will love each other, we just feel that we have out grown each other. He was and always be my best friend. We just feel that we need to live separate lives and we should divorce instead of just being separated. That way we won't be breaking any marital vows by cheating.

After the conversation with her daughter Angie decided she and her husband should sit down and explain things to their children. She wanted to make sure they really understood everything and were happy for them as they were for themselves.

Sunday dinner and everyone is sitting at the table, again the weird silence. Finally Jacob spoke up. It has come the attention of me and you mom that you guys hav some questions about our decision that need to be addressed. Let me first start off by saying that I love your mom and she loves me, she is my best friend and I am hers. We are just in a point in our lives where we feel that there is nothing new to learn about each other and we want to explore and see what's out there. We are not exciting to each other anymore.

Kyle the middle child decided to ask a question. "So who will be moving, and who will be staying at the house ? Jacob looked at his wife and nodded. Your mom will keep the hose, and anyone who wants to come stay with me can. No one has to move out completely. My home will just be your second home you guys can stay at either house. There may be days when you are mad with your mom and want to come stay with me and there will be days when you want to come stay with mom. That is fine with us just as long as we know that you are I one of the homes at night. Lisa the youngest child asked. "Will we have to change schools ?' Angie answered letting them know that nothing would change with school or any other activities that they have going on. We will still support you guys as a family. no one as to know the change in our living conditions. Jacob asked were there any other questions. No one had any more at the moment. Things went o as normal after that. Everyone seem happy and content with life.

The day came for Jacob to move out. He had just finished packing the last of the things he wanted in his car, when Lisa came out crying. "What on earth is going on baby , Why are you crying? Daddy I don't want you to leave me, I'm afraid. He looked at his babygirl crying and walked over to her and held her tight. Babygirl I am not leaving out of your life I am just changing addresses. Anytime you need me I will be here. If you choose to come live with me you can at anytime. I will be making keys for you guys because I will not always be coming home on time. I want you all to. know that where I am you are always welcome at anytime. Will you be having a girlfriend asked Lisa. He looked at his daughter and told her that maybe some day in the future he may want to date someone but for now he just wanted to focus on his children and his work. After their conversation Lisa asked if she could ride with him to see his new house. They went back into the house to see if anyone wanted to go see the place. Everyone went to see the new place including Angie. After all she would need to know where to drop the ids off or pick them up from, plus Jacob wanter her to know where he was going to be living and he let her know that she was welcomed over at any time.

Jacob made sure all the children and Angie had key, he told her that she needed it just in case something happened to one of the kids and he wasn't home, and also just in case something happened to him and he could't open the door or none of the children were there.

Carol was riding home with her mother one day a few weeks after her father had moved out. She asked her mom how long had they been thinking about getting a divorce. There was silence for a few moments, then Angie pulled the car into the parking lot of a nearby park. She thought in her mind of how to tell her child how long they had been talking about divorce.

Let me just start out by saying that I do love your dad. We just don't seem to like the same things anymore ,nor do we have a lot of conversation for each other anymore. We sit around looking crazy at each other but no talking like we used to do. We enjoy going out with our friends separately. We both just feel that we would be better of being by ourselves. We have been working on doing this for the last ten years.

Carol couldn't believe her ears. You mean to tell me that through all the vacations, picnics, birthdays and holidays you guys were faking it? I don't believe this.

Angie calmed her daughter down and began to explain everything to her.

Your father and I were not faking anything. We loved every bit of the vacations, holidays, birthdays, and another occasion that we have had. We love you guys and we love spending quality time with all of us together.We just felt there wasn't anything left between he and I at the end of the day. We stopped being intimate with each other a few years back. There was no spark there anymore.

As a family we are great, but as a couple we are just not there anymore. Something is missing and neither of us wants to try to find it. We just want to stay friends and make sure the family is good.

Carol looked at her and just started laughing. I thought I kept secrets, but this is one of the best kept secrets I have ever come across. You and dad are something else. You guys will do anything to make sure we are happy.

September 15, 2022 20:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.