The lost treasure

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story about a valuable object that goes missing.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

One more day, the same irritating sunlight entering through windows. Sunlight is the best thing that nature provided us. It is warm, it is meant for all. It's on you, whether you accept it or not. And I always decide to reject it in the early morning.

Arjun: Mom (Screaming without even opening his eyes). Why you open the curtains.

Mom: (from the kitchen with a smile on her face) What can I do? your friend wants to greet you.

Arjun: No, He wants to disturb me. He dislikes that I am sleeping while he has to up early in the morning.

Mom: (Washing her hands and laughing on his son's statement).

Then, she enters my room. She sat close to me. Removed the blanket from my face. And moved her hand on my forehead. Her hand was cold, a little wet. Still, All I can do is open my eyes and greet her with a wide smile on my face. She said

Mom: (while moving the hand into my hairs) Get up and be ready for school.

Arjun: (Without saying anything. Put my head on her lap and closed my eyes, while enjoying her hand in my hair). ummmmm... I don't want to.

This is my morning routine. She never tells me again to wake up. And I, like a good son, wakes up from her lap after enjoying her touch for a few seconds.

I got up and went to shower. She went inside the kitchen and started doing her chores. Now I am ready to go to school. My mom always gave me 5 dollars with her tagline "Use these wisely".

Arjun: What If I lost it?

Mom: Then you will learn how to take care of it next time.

Arjun: What if I gave it to someone?

Mom: Then I believe you will be helping someone.

Arjun: What if I saved it?

Mom: Then It's my time to retire. My son is already a man now, he doesn't need me to take care of him. (with a smile on her face)

Arjun: No, I will always need you.

Mom: (Smiling and kissing my forehead) Ok now enough taking, make sure to finish your lunch and now go for school.

She came to send me off at the door. Her smile that carries the pain of sending me away from her is the most valuable thing I got in this world.

I left that precious smile behind and started walking towards my school. On my way, I see many children, some of the same age as me. They beg from people. I found it unusual at first but things got normal after you keep facing them repeatedly. Now, they don't surprise me anymore. Life is full of unexpected and the same is going to happen today.

Today, a child approached me. They always irritate adults asking for money. But nobody ever approached me like this. I startled, at first, I kept looking at his face. He seemed to be of the same age as me. How can I tell? From his height which is the same as me. I mean I was a child too at that time. His eyes had the sparkle that never left my memory and the emotion on his face made me think that he was in pain.

The beggar: Please help me, I got lost here. I need money to go back to my home. Please help me. I need money. I miss my parents.

Arjun: (got sad after hearing this) Why you need money?

The beggar: To call my parents.

Arjun: I only have 5 dollars.

The beggar: They are enough, Thank you for your help. I will give your money back.

After receiving a lot of thanks, I left for school but he never left my mind. I keep thinking about him. whether he called his parents or not. whether he was able to go to his home. Is he ok? Is the money enough. At one time I even thought of bringing him home with me. I finished school. But I am seeking the details of that beggar to finish his story in my mind. I rushed back home to see if he is still there.

He was not there.

There was not someone who need to call his parents to go back to his home, but there was someone who needs money for his mother's sickness. The same guy is now irritating some adults with a different story, but unlike me, that adult didn't trust his story and ignored him. I moved from there, unnoticed, not wanting to meet eyes with him. It is the day when I lost my ability to instantly trust someone. And even today I don't have that ability. It would be great if I only lost 5 dollars but this loss is not compared to loss of money.

I reached home. I was confused and irritated. My mom noticed that I am not as usual. I was lost in my own thoughts. It disturbed me. I cried at night. I tried to neglect this. But the truth is someone fooled me by using my trust.

The next day I was passing through the same way. But today, I am not afraid to meet him. Instead, I want to meet him. I saw him again. we were standing opposite each other, staring into each other eyes. I don't think he wanted to run into me. but I was seeking to him so badly that It happened. I stared him coldly until he shed away his eyes with shame. I passed him. Ignoring him. Never looking back.

I hated him without realizing his situation. My mom used to joke with me that I am becoming an adult. But all those were jokes. I started to become an adult today when I lost the child inside me. This is the first loss. Life then presented many other losses. They were not as painful as the first loss. But with every new loss a part of that child who used to be me.

Until I lost something so precious that I can never find. I can never be returned, to the way, I used to be with my lost treasure.



April 10, 2020 20:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.