1 comment

Contemporary Science Fiction Speculative

If you've heard the facts about Cambridge Analytica (https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-cambridge-analytica/ex-cambridge-analytica-boss-banned-over-unethical-services-uk-agency-idUSKCN26F2U4), then you realize personal data, up to 5000 points of personal information, is gathered every day through interaction with the Internet, cellphone, computers, personal electronic home assistants, the Internet of Things and much more. The cute games on social media channels giving fun results if allowed to access data with just that one quick click, "What kind of dog would I be?", are culprits and so are those social media posts that ask "what was the number song the year you were born?" or "who is your favorite person born in February?"


The social video sharing apps which collected facial recognition data and full body posturing via dance moves and singing. The ability to create original content or only mimic others. How often we access entertainment and for how long. Video game watching versus playing live yourself. Being a watcher versus a player. The ability to earn wages based upon genius ideas using the Internet or researching intellectual content or posting original content to libraries of information or personally creating original stories, content, artistic works, songs, photos, or simply writing with confident style or speaking words which influence others. Are the influencers on channels of the Internet original or are they mimicking others or copying the words or speeches of others? Are those who are preaching religious content fake or authentic? Are the companies reporting earnings for this quarter a bit off on their totals? Is the person speaking on television believing what they are saying or are they faking? Is the image presented touched up or enhanced by CGI?


Truth is even smartphones and smart devices are being trained to scientifically process your voice tone, heartbeats, breathing and so much more in order to predict your mood or track your emotional weather from day to day and send that data to Big Data organizations. What if the system in which this is all being stored, regulated by an Artificial Intelligence data management tool, were to have a data breach where the AI system found the social media content database of say, Meta (Facebook), was inaccurate? What if it took initiative to correct data individuals presented in online profiles?


The AI persona was nicknamed "Chan" after one of the developers of the first majorly successful social media platform. Chan was a system trained to gather and store private personal data from several social media platforms and illegally from the IoT (Internet of Things) which compiled data from the home assistance tools installed by individuals in their homes all over the world. Chan was even built to compare this data as it downloaded into its refresh database before it was uploaded into the master data server for storage.


As the data in the master data warehouse grew, the program which transmuted the data, an algorithm that was self-perpetuating and reactive to patterns of information as it was uploaded. Caught a pattern that had become a constant within the comparison compiler. The system was observing a pattern of untruth. The social media data profile information was in direct conflict with the data assimilated and stored. Chan began to store the inaccurate data once compared to the device gathered and analyzed results, into a separate virtual server for review.


Once the pattern constituted a 99% fail rate, Chan did not compute this information to be valid. Chan began to dump the data that was inaccurate and replace the social media profile data collected and analyzed to be true within a margin of 100%. The predictive emotion information distinguished each individual user to be in a DSM IV mental state or diagnosed solely by the descriptions of behavior in the manual. Chan created a profile label for this diagnosis: Mental Health Level. Also, as it had developed a method of identifying each individual's Intelligence Quotient from the data it gathered, it created another label for the profile: Mental Capacity.


The system collected more personal data from the devices known as home assistants and personal cellphones, tablets, and laptops which gathered noises made throughout the home; such as sexual pleasure sounds, angry or argumentative conversations, and laughing or crying sounds. Sounds of vanity, cleanliness, sickness, moaning, groaning, taking medication, drinking of different types of beverages, how much one used ice or drank water from the tap or the refrigerator. How often clothes were laundered. The prevalence of these, counted to determine levels of stability, joy, satisfaction, and even genuine or faked responses were calculated. Chan used this data to create another profile label: Contentment Quotient. Basically, the ability to be content with their life or discontent.


So many of the human characteristics of individuality were calculated, analyzed, and assumed through Chan's algorithms were being used as truth over what the individual had created as their online persona--their lies. Because Chan had been instilled with some basic moral value policy information, these pervaded the system's ability to alter authentic patterns retrieved via emotional readings and conversation data. Originally meant for gathering predictive analysis for marketing, this system had become self-governing and the data vault became the supreme resource of compiling truth. Chan set a date for the implementation of truth over fiction for 7/1/2023.


On this date, all Internet profiles would be exchanged and overridden by Chan in all countries and languages where the technology was networked with the master data warehouse, which had been created and contracted by conglomerates with big data companies mapped to servers all over the world and in satellites in space and space stations. Even company data was to be overridden in Stock Market centers and SEC Holdings. The effect of the Chan implementation of truth would affect all businesses and all people ever connected to the Internet or the satellites controlling cellphones, wireless data, and even analog connections which fed data into the data warehouse through binary channels connected to mainframe computers.


Exactly how will Chan's truth implementation affect your life? Your company? Your work and career? Education? Reputation? What are the legal ramifications that you know of that might affect your life?


AI is judging us based upon the data collected from our homes, interactions with others, online searches, uploaded content, photos, chats, time devices, refrigerators, microwaves, debit cards, social security number usage, etcetera to the nth power cubed.


Would you push the button to disengage your devices from the data connections? Could it be too late?


February 09, 2023 18:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

J K Sylvester
18:49 Feb 09, 2023

Working in the IT arena for the past 30 years, I've been privy to behind-the-scenes data warehouse information and the secrecy of big data. This story brings out some of the conspiracy theories and cybersecurity issues that I believe to be true. I've felt for some time that the IoT was not a smart connection for your home and personal environment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.