4 comments

Inspirational Fiction Christian

If her math is right, this was approximately Aubrey's six hundred eightieth trip to Ligonier Memorial Park where the cremains of her beloved husband was located. Today was the fifth anniversary of his passing. A massive heart attack took his life while they lay peacefully in bed. She never had the chance to say goodbye. Some things can haunt you forever.

Three times a week, she faithfully visits the memorial site, regardless of the weather. There were days that she really did not want to make the trip, but she pushed herself in to doing so. Each time she went, there was either a freshly dug spot or a tent that either was the sight of an earlier service or an upcoming one. It was a constant reminder to Aubrey of the brevity of life here on this planet. The rows of flower vases, whether fresh or artificial, and the artificial arrangements could be quite beautiful, always warmed her heart. Lots of memorials, most in fact, also had a small American flag displayed.

****************

"Perish the thought" was William's response when Aubrey wanted to discuss final arrangements for the two of them as she laid out in her soft-spoken manner what she thought was a good plan that she had spent hours hashing and rehashing. "I do not want to have my final resting place in a cold and loathsome cemetery where the weeds grow like crazy, but the grass doesn't, and the little vandals knock over the tombstones". William continued, "And I do not want to be stationed six feet under the surface in a box. And I don't care if it's a wooden frame one like the one Barnabas Collins was in or some pricey thing the funeral people say is their most popular model. No, a coffin and cemetery are not where I am going when that time comes. And don't, and I mean this Aubrey, do not have a public service for me. If people want to see me, here I am upright and, in the flesh, take it or leave it. A small service for close family, conducted by Pastor Francis, will be just fine."

Aubrey considered this sincere but forceful statement of her strong-willed husband for a second and said, "I understand, dear. We don't exactly have one foot in the grave just yet, but I do think the sooner we get arrangements in place, the better. I know I would sleep much better knowing the children won't have to take care of all that stuff. Life insurance isn't a problem. We have enough to cover the costs with a little extra room to help with their family expenses."

William felt a bit bad, not about what he said but how he said it. He was a bit more subdued responding. "I hear you buttercup, I'm sorry for coming across so crudely but I have in fact given this some thought believe it or not. You know honey, for me, I would like to be cremated and have my final resting place be in a memorial park. You know, one of those sites where there are just ground markers and none of those disgusting upright memorials. I hate to call them tombstones but that is what they are. Gosh I hate the sight of those."

****************

It was a short 10-to-15-minute drive down Route 1 from their home in Wells Beach ME to Ogunquit ME where Ligonier Memorial Park was located. After that discussion she had with William, she was a bit disappointed initially but after giving it some thought, she was all in. The laptop really came in handy as she set out on finding a memorial park and purchasing the property. Once that was done, they made an appointment to meet with Pastor Francis who also worked part time at a funeral home. Together, they finalized their arrangement.

******************

Early December was no time to be driving after dark, especially with the threat of a snow squall that could cover the roads in seconds. Aubrey considered turning her little car around and returning to her warm and cozy bungalow. What was she thinking venturing out on such a moonless, chilly evening? The winds were swirling all around, blowing leaves across the winding and narrow unpaved road that made its way back through the memorial park to where her beloved husband William was laid to rest five years earlier. She was dedicated though. Truth be known, perhaps a little over the top. This was the only day available to her this week and she had a beautiful and fresh bouquet of winterberry and snowdrops she wanted to place in the vase. She also wanted to see how the solar garden lights that adorned the space were holding up. 

A light snow had begun to fall when she arrived. As she stepped out of her car to take the short walk to the site, she pulled out her phone and called their daughter Abigail. The call went to voicemail. " Hi sweetie, hey, I just wanted to let you know that I am here at your dad's. I just have to place the bouquet in the vase and tell your dad how much I miss him calling me buttercup and that I have and will always love him. Oh, I will talk to God too. So, I should get home in about a little less than an hour. I will call you then. I love you, give Owen a hug and a kiss for me and tell him I love him too! See you soon sweetie". 

The light snow continued to fall, and the wind was picking up, making an eerie, whistling noise. Hearing the sound of an approaching vehicle, she turned around to take a look and sure enough, a pair of distant headlights shining through the dark was turning on to the same lane she just drove on. She was never at the site after dark and on rare occasions did, she see other people visiting loved ones. Feeling a little frightened, she quickly turned and headed toward William's site. She would work fast and get out of there quickly. The quick turn caused her ankle to twist on the wet grass and her body to fall to the cold, wet surface, causing her to take a nasty fall and to enter a state of unconsciousness. 

*************

"Oh my, buttercup, what did you do to yourself? Here, let me take a look. Hmmmh, okay, let's put a little ointment on that minor cut and get some gauze and tape on it. You'll probably have a headache tomorrow and listen, I checked with the greatest physician there ever was or ever will be and he tells me you will be just fine. Oh, here's a warm, soft blanket for you. Put that around your shoulders and sit still for a few minutes, it looks like you have a couple of visitors. I love you buttercup, thanks for being so wonderful. Heaven is wonderful so don't you worry about me!"

*********************

"Abigail?". "Mom! I was so worried about you so me and Owen decided we would drive down here and give you a hand. Oh my, you have a boo boo. I didn't know you caried a first aid kit in your car! Nice job with that!"

"Grandma?" Aubrey and Abigail turned to Owen. "Who was that man? He was right beside you and then he was gone."  

October 28, 2023 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Michał Przywara
20:36 Oct 30, 2023

Considering the themes of death - both preparing for it, and then suffering the death of a spouse - this story is surprisingly wholesome, and it has a warm ending despite the cold wind. I did think it was odd that Abigail didn't pick up the initial phone call - it sounded like Aubrey was really looking forward to the chat, and if this kind of checking in with each other wasn't a habit, I feared that maybe Abigail just didn't care. Of course, we quickly learn that she didn't answer it because she was driving, and she was driving precisely b...

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
01:34 Oct 29, 2023

Oh that ending was sweet. Children are so perceptive. Owen saw grandpa helping his grandma. This is a story that reminds us that those we love will always be there to care for us even after they are gone.

Reply

Bob Long Jr
02:04 Oct 29, 2023

Thank you so much for the kind words. I sure look forward to the weekly contests and even more so to the reading of submitted stories. This one was a stretch and I was barely able to work a ghost into the story. I have to say I too was a little impressed as I was deciding how to wind the story down and the thought about Owen popped into my mind. Don't you just love those moments ... I am certain you must have many. Take care, Bob

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
02:18 Oct 29, 2023

Those moments are the joy of writing! It was certainly clever to place Owen at the end that way. It tied things up nicely without leaving it too open. Very nicely done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.