0 comments

Drama

For the first time in a while, I was excited. My heart was pounding as I walked through the automatic doors into the car dealership. I felt the thrill of adrenaline as I walked with the salesman over to the Newest line of Porsches, we passed car after beautiful car, each one crafted to perfection. one after another the salesman tried to tell me about. and I tried listened patiently, I really did, as he spits out the specs. But out of the corner of my eye, I could see the one that I would drive out of here, slowly we got closer, with regret I remember how he had asked if there was a specific model I was looking for. “No” I had said, “ I just know I want a Porsche!”. And that is how I got myself into the longest twenty minutes of my life. It was my own fault, I know, but I am and have been plagued with the curse of indecision my whole life. Just the thought of not seeing all of the options one last time gave me a surge of anxiety. But now we were close, only two more cars. My palms started to sweat as I glanced longingly at the car that would be mine, I could feel my entire body itching to get behind the wheel. And then we were there! The salesman started to list the specs, but I already had them all but memorized. The Gentian metallic blue is shown in the mid-morning sun, as I said “This is the one”. With a slight raise of his eyebrows, the salesman said “ well then would you like to take it for a spin, while I have someone put together the paperwork?” there it was again, a choice, deep down I think I knew this was the car for me. But at the same time a little voice whispered “are you sure?” and of course I was not. We climbed in and the engine purred to life, my blood raced through my veins like the fuel racing to the combustion chamber. The test drive passed in a blur of pure pleasure, the paperwork seemed to take mere seconds and then I was back on the road. All of my thoughts and worries forgotten, even the raise that I had just gotten, the raise that had allowed me to get the car of my dreams, this car! All forgotten! I took the long way home that day, and every day that week. I loved that car, on the weekends I would carefully wash and wax it so that its shine would never dull, I would lovingly detail the interior making sure that there was not even the smallest crumb left inside my car.

Weeks passed, and then it was a month, and then two. Pretty soon a whole year had passed, and then a second and a third. And before I knew it three years had gone by since I had gotten My car and the warranty was up. Now up to this point in my life, I had been spending a little too freely, I was living high on the hog. But it was catching up to me. I was in debt up to my ears. I had just bought a new house when an investment I had made went south. I had been counting on it, that investment was my cushion and now with that gone, I felt naked. And so I vowed to pinch my pennies and get through this rough patch. I made it through about three weeks and was doing good, I was eating out less and felt healthier because of it.

But then one day my car's oil light came on. Now I have a buddy who is a mechanic, and he is always telling me how easy it is to change the oil on a car. So I decided to give it a try, reasoning that I could save myself a few dollars, and have the added bonus of getting to know my car a little better. My friend lent me the tools I would need and told me to just check my manual to see what oil I needed. But there was a slight issue. I had thrown away the manual. So I put the problem off for a few days, kind of hoping it would just go away. It didn’t. my car got more insistent that I change the oil, dinging every ten minutes to remind me. Finally, I did what anyone would do, I googled it. I quickly found a forum that showed a step by step on how to change the oil on my car. As I scrolled down I saw that a common question kept popping up. What type of oil? And every question had a dozen answers, everyone giving their opinion. Some would say synthetic oil is the best, others would say mineral oil was better and still a third group would chime in that a blend of both synthetic and mineral-based was best. Each had their own pros and cons, and each claimed theirs was the best. The only issue was that I could not find a definite answer as to which I should use. My indecision kept popping up, to the point that I could not handle it. So once again I put it off, hey it had worked before.

After a few weeks had gone by I went back to the forum to see if anyone had said which was best, but of course, it was the same old story, everyone going round and round. And after reading all of their comments my head was swimming. I knew I had to choose sooner rather than later, but once again I put it off. This time for a month and a half. I had just been put in charge of a big project at work. And thoughts of my car drifted to the back of my mind.

Now it had been more than three months since I had last been on the forum and so I looked once again, this time with the determination to make a choice. I could not let the car I loved suffer any longer. But once again I got swept up in the discussion, but this time I knew I had to make a decision. And so after hours of reading the pros and cons, I finally chose. With a slight spring in my step, I walked out to my car, confident in my choice. Now only needing to get the oil before I could begin the long-awaited oil change. As I slid behind the wheel and turned the key in the ignition I felt an odd grinding that I had never felt before. But It disappeared before I could figure out where it came from.

I made it about a mile from my house when my engine seized.

November 30, 2020 07:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.