0 comments

General

“I’ll be home in a bit,” I called over my shoulder as I walked out the front door and shut it tight behind me. No sooner had I stepped outside than the chill wind pulled at my coat, the collar flapping a little. I hunched my shoulders as I stepped carefully down the front steps and started toward the store.


It was only a couple of blocks to get there, but I was by no means enjoying myself. The snow had piled up a bit higher than normal this year and the plows had managed to push a decent amount onto the sidewalks so it was slow going.


I kept my head down, making sure I wasn’t about to slip on a patch of unseen ice and glanced up occasionally to make sure I didn’t run into a pole or something. I didn’t want to end up on one of those youtube videos of people not paying attention and walking into things.


A car drove slowly past me on the street and honked. I looked up but didn’t get a look at who was driving as they went past. I could hear something muffled yelled at me through the car window. 


I huffed a bit as the car sped up a bit and turned away down a side street. Probably some punk yelling about how stupid I was for walking around in the snow and wind, but little did he know

I actually enjoyed the weather a bit. It was nice to get outside for a bit and not be cooped up in the house all day.


I crossed an intersection and made a point of looking around. A few trees with snow on them lined the sidewalk, and a light dusting covered the street with a bit heavier snowbanks along the road. The bit of snow beneath my feet made a satisfying crunch as I walked over it and slowed my steps a bit to really draw it out.


The white sparkled a bit from roofs of houses, and front yards. One house I passed even had a snowman in the front yard; carrot nose, buttons for eyes, one stick arm, and a kitchen mitten for a hand. Must have been built by a kid who lives there, I mused. The balls that made up its body and head were a bit lopsided, but I smiled at it all the same. It gave the snowman some character.


It wasn’t much farther to the store and I was looking forward to the warmth inside as I drew closer. Then I noticed the man sitting outside the store on the street. He was dirty, clothes a bit tattered and shoes with a few holes in them. His beard was dirty and mangy and the beanie he had on had that grunge look to it.


As I got closer I could see he also had a tattered blanket wrapped around him and a small cardboard sign sitting next to a cup that read “I’m starving” on it. I felt bad for him, to be out in this weather with no shelter, and there weren't that many people around for him to get money from. I heard about a trick and wondered if it would work here.


“Mind if I help with the sign?” I asked him.

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” I replied, “theres a little trick that should help bring in a bit more.”


I picked up the sign and found a sharpie taped to the back. It only took me a few seconds to add three words to the sign and put it back down in front of him. Now looking it, the sign read ‘It’s Christmas, and I’m starving’


“That should help,” I said, “I’ll be right back.” I dropped $5 into his cup and saw there were a few dollar bills in there already, maybe $10, and headed into the store.


I stomped the snow off my boots as I came in and let the warm air wash over me for a second before heading down the aisle I needed. It didn't take me long to find a toothbrush for my sister. Honestly, how could she have forgotten hers at home? Oh well, that's what siblings are for, right? Going out to buy you something you forgot while you slept off the jetlag.


As I was walking toward the counter a smell of cooking food hit my nose. There was a small food heater next to the counter with some corndogs and taquitos in it. As I put the toothbrush on the counter I asked if there was a good thermal blanket and went to get one, then ordered two corndogs and a couple of taquitos to go. A few minutes later I was back out in the freezing air, and handing the man the blanket and food.


“Here,” I said as I handed him everything except the toothbrush.


“Oh my,” he almost sighed out, tearing into one of the corndogs, “bless you.”


I sat down next to him as he ate and opened the blanket for him. As I wrapped it around him he tugged it closer and started on the second corn dog. A woman walked past and glanced down at the two of us before pulling a bill from her pocket and dropping it in the cup.


I looked in and smiled to myself. I’d only been in the store for a couple of minutes, but it looked like there was nearly three times the money in his cup. It seemed that the trick I had read about a while back really did work wonders!


We sat for a bit longer, the man making his way through the taquitos and hugging the blanket around himself.


“Thank you for this,” he said. “But why? It’s not every day someone takes the time to sit with me like this.”


“Simple reason actually,” I replied. “I used to have some cold evenings alone and I felt like nobody in the world cared for me. I just want you to know that someone does care, that you’re noticed.” I glanced at him as he stared down at his lap. Another passerby dropped some change in the cup.


“Thank you,” he said hoarsely. I nodded and climbed to my feet.


“I’d stick around a bit longer, but I have a toothbrush to deliver,” I said. “Good luck, and keep that sign, it works really well.” I glanced at the cup again. There must have been about $50 in there at this point. He’d be alright if he kept it up.


“Have a Merry Christmas,” I called as I walked away.


The walk back to my house was uneventful as I looked around and took in the scenery of a winter day. Snow crunched under my feet, and a kid and his dad were in their front yard when I passed, making improvements on a snowman.


My keys jangled a bit in the lock as I opened the door and made my way inside, the warm air greeting me, and I brought my sister her toothbrush.



February 29, 2020 23:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.